By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 Having A Better 2010 Than 360 And Wii

Killiana1a said:

If anyone who is overhyping Gran Turismo 5 as the OP is, then let me sober you up with a dose of hardware totals via VGChartz:

Hardware Totals

Total worldwide sales (in millions of units) per console. For old consoles all figures are total shipments from manufacturers, for new consoles all figures are current sales as measured by VGChartz

PosConsoleAmericasJapanEMEAAWorldwide
1 Nintendo Wii (Wii) 34.03 10.50 27.97 72.50
Microsoft Xbox 360 (X360)
23.70 1.34 15.83 40.87
3 Sony PlayStation 3 (PS3) 14.22 5.35 16.28 35.85
  Total (by market)

Source: http://www.vgchartz.com/hardware_totals.php?type=Hardware&sort=Total

If you are reading it correctly, the "Worlwide" figure is a horizontal adding of the Americas, Japan, and EMEAA (Europe Middle East Asia Africa) for each system. I put in a "Total (by market)" to add vertically down to determine which market was the largest for the three home consoles of this generation, therefore the most worthwile in discussion here and in corporate boardroom meetings for marketing new products.

Overwhelmingly, the Americas is the largest market, therefore it is the market Sony needs to pump in the most advertising and marketing in order to top Microsoft in yearly sales.

I would like to know how many units are sold in each individual EMEAA (Europe Middle East Asia Africa) region. I would guess that Europe consumes maybe a fifth to a quarter of the total software and hardware that Canad and the USA does in a year.

I could be wrong, but I can't be proven wrong as Europe is lumped in with the Middle East, Asia and Africa to make it's numbers look bigger than it actually is. Reminds me of the days in junior high elementary when you see a map of the world and think WOW Europe is so big, but once you add up the total landmass of Europe, then you realize it is only about half as big as the USA in total landmass.

Appearances on maps or lumped together in EMEAA are deceiving and give people a very wrong view.

So what would the GDP be for the EU example skipping the conversation about land mass? Europe will by a long margin will be the biggest chunk of sales in that region the UK alone probably accounts for a 1/5th.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Around the Network
welshbloke said:
Killiana1a said:

If anyone who is overhyping Gran Turismo 5 as the OP is, then let me sober you up with a dose of hardware totals via VGChartz:

Hardware Totals

Total worldwide sales (in millions of units) per console. For old consoles all figures are total shipments from manufacturers, for new consoles all figures are current sales as measured by VGChartz

PosConsoleAmericasJapanEMEAAWorldwide
1 Nintendo Wii (Wii) 34.03 10.50 27.97 72.50
Microsoft Xbox 360 (X360)
23.70 1.34 15.83 40.87
3 Sony PlayStation 3 (PS3) 14.22 5.35 16.28 35.85
  Total (by market)

Source: http://www.vgchartz.com/hardware_totals.php?type=Hardware&sort=Total

If you are reading it correctly, the "Worlwide" figure is a horizontal adding of the Americas, Japan, and EMEAA (Europe Middle East Asia Africa) for each system. I put in a "Total (by market)" to add vertically down to determine which market was the largest for the three home consoles of this generation, therefore the most worthwile in discussion here and in corporate boardroom meetings for marketing new products.

Overwhelmingly, the Americas is the largest market, therefore it is the market Sony needs to pump in the most advertising and marketing in order to top Microsoft in yearly sales.

I would like to know how many units are sold in each individual EMEAA (Europe Middle East Asia Africa) region. I would guess that Europe consumes maybe a fifth to a quarter of the total software and hardware that Canad and the USA does in a year.

I could be wrong, but I can't be proven wrong as Europe is lumped in with the Middle East, Asia and Africa to make it's numbers look bigger than it actually is. Reminds me of the days in junior high elementary when you see a map of the world and think WOW Europe is so big, but once you add up the total landmass of Europe, then you realize it is only about half as big as the USA in total landmass.

Appearances on maps or lumped together in EMEAA are deceiving and give people a very wrong view.

So what would the GDP be for the EU example skipping the conversation about land mass? Europe will by a long margin will be the biggest chunk of sales in that region the UK alone probably accounts for a 1/5th.

Not following the economics of each European nation on a daily basis, I would have to agree that the UK alone would account for 1/5 if not closer to 1/3 to 40% of the total sales of video games in Europe.

The UK if I am not mistaken uses both the Euro and the British Pound, therefore if another one of the PIIGS (Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece and Spain) grows their sovereign debt closer to 150-200% of GDP, then they will scare off the hedge funds who have been financing their economy leaving those countries who rely on the Euro alone with much less purchasing power at the individual level.

I don't worry about the UK and I never have.