By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Metroid Other M Thread

RolStoppable said:

*This post contains spoilers.*

So I got the Wii lens cleaning kit and it worked. I was able to play Other M for almost a week, but then the disc drive of my console died. It's really done for now, has problems with all discs.

But a few days were enough to play the game extensively and it's by far not as bad as I feared or others said it would be. The story and cutscenes are not good (I even watched the whole thing as movie to judge it better), but since I am not the type of gamer who cares a lot for that part of games, I can easily ignore how bad it is. The way Samus is portrayed is not cool (as well as the length of all the cutscenes), but the game does most things right as a game.

It's not a successor to Super Metroid, rather it's like another Metroid Fusion. There isn't much freedom on where to go, but that's not too bad. The d-pad controls work surprisingly well in a 3D environment. While the camera angle switches constantly, you can hold down the same direction on the d-pad to move through rooms and hallways. Switching into first person is a little bit hectic at times, but most of the time it works well. All this doesn't mean that a Wiimote/Nunchuk setup wouldn't have been better, but the controls are okay the way they are.

Item collecting has less priority due to Concentration. Hard mode is very revealing on how silly this mechanic is and it's very disappointing. It's so boring to play through the game without being able to collect any items and you actually don't need any of them, thanks to Concentration and the too easy to pull off dodge maneuver. 70 % of all items are missile containers, so this is a case of collecting for the sake of collecting. But since I like collecting stuff, it's not that much of an issue.

Likewise, having all items marked on the map with blue dots isn't as bad as one would imagine. There's still plenty of exploration to be done in order to find out how to get to these items. The satisfaction of getting 100 % isn't as big as it used to be, but on the upside it's not as frustrating, because you don't have to search through the entire game to find that damn last missing couple of upgrades.

Miniboss and boss fights are for the most part nicely done and quite spectacular at times. That's a big plus. But what brings the game down is the unjustified locking of abilities that are already in Samus' possession. While the forbidden use of stronger weapons at least makes some sense early on (it could harm areas of the Bottle Ship), not being able to use defensive items like the Varia Suit is ridiculous.

Graphics are pretty good on a technical level, but from an artistic point of view they are lacking. Much of that can be blamed on letting the game take place in a space station, just like Metroid Fusion. And just like in that game, the various sectors simulate areas from the planet Zebes. The game is less interesting due to that, simply because exploring an unknown planet is more intriguing than investigations on a space ship.

Music is lackluster, not enough good new stuff and not enough remixes of old themes. Probably the worst music in any Metroid game, although that doesn't mean forgettable. And what's up with those sections where you control Samus in over-the-shoulder-view? They are slow and not fun to play and one of them is way too long.

Overall it's quite a good game, but below most other Metroid titles. It definitely helps to ignore the story and cutscenes, it's a good thing they are skippable. I hope you liked my mini-review, Khuutra. I am sure you are the only one who would read this post.

I read it, so :P on you.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

That is a pretty good mini-review, Rol. I generally agree.

I am more disappointed than you were, though. You expected somethign terrible. I expected somehting great.

RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:

That is a pretty good mini-review, Rol. I generally agree.

I am more disappointed than you were, though. You expected somethign terrible. I expected somehting great.

That's because Malstrom's blog posts mean something to me, while you write them off as nonsense. Although lately, with all the Other M posts he does, they are nonsense. He just takes a few pieces of the game and portrays the entire thing as a horrible mess.

He's trying to show why the consumer is less likely to buy the game, as those are the impressions people will have of it.

Basically if those few pieces make the game seem like that, then those pieces should not have been in the game. Anything that turns the audience off is a bad idea, as you still need them to buy your product.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

So I started the "post"-game, and I'm pleasantly surprised.

The game finally opens up, and I must say that finding the ways to get to the secret items using your powerups is great. I've already had a whole bunch of "ah ha!" moments using the different abilities (There's some pretty great secrets found with ShineSpark, it's just a fun powerup to use).

Fighting those Ball-door monster things is fast paced, frantic (these things can pummel you if you're not careful), and fun!

Plus, it's just you alone in an abandoned ship, exploring the different areas looking for secrets and mysteries to solve.

Why couldn't the whole game be like this?!

Game Informer: 6.25

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
RolStoppable said:

That's because Malstrom's blog posts mean something to me, while you write them off as nonsense. Although lately, with all the Other M posts he does, they are nonsense. He just takes a few pieces of the game and portrays the entire thing as a horrible mess.

He's trying to show why the consumer is less likely to buy the game, as those are the impressions people will have of it.

Basically if those few pieces make the game seem like that, then those pieces should not have been in the game. Anything that turns the audience off is a bad idea, as you still need them to buy your product.

He's hating on the game, it's simple as that.

If a game is not good, you talk about it in one or two posts and move on. Right now he posts everything negative about Other M that he can get his hands on. Yes, the game does have problems and yes, it won't outsell most other games of the series for good reasons. We all know it by now, so he should tackle the next subject.

He's hating on the whole mindset behind the game. It's not that simple. He's against the line of thinking that makes things like this, which would be clear if you paid attention to his posts.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

RolStoppable said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
RolStoppable said:

If a game is not good, you talk about it in one or two posts and move on. Right now he posts everything negative about Other M that he can get his hands on. Yes, the game does have problems and yes, it won't outsell most other games of the series for good reasons. We all know it by now, so he should tackle the next subject.

But that's what he tends to do about everything, to be fair. It's just that generally he hates on stuff that I agree merits such ridicule.

RolStoppable said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
RolStoppable said:

He's hating on the whole mindset behind the game. It's not that simple. He's against the line of thinking that makes things like this, which would be clear if you paid attention to his posts.

I've read his posts and I understand what he's talking about. Game gods, Sakamoto, all that stuff. The same thing since weeks.

Move is out, I want to read some hate posts about that.

It's just the fallout, so he's using that time to show that he wasn't just hating on a game he didn't like, and showing why the game is not a hit with consumers.

Move will very much likely be mentioned again.

Smeags said:

So I started the "post"-game, and I'm pleasantly surprised.

The game finally opens up, and I must say that finding the ways to get to the secret items using your powerups is great. I've already had a whole bunch of "ah ha!" moments using the different abilities (There's some pretty great secrets found with ShineSpark, it's just a fun powerup to use).

Fighting those Ball-door monster things is fast paced, frantic (these things can pummel you if you're not careful), and fun!

Plus, it's just you alone in an abandoned ship, exploring the different areas looking for secrets and mysteries to solve.

Why couldn't the whole game be like this?!

The Desbrechians (what those power-bomb monsters are called) kicked my ass pretty severely the first time i had to fight one to open such a door. Once you figure out that you pretty much *have* to use the sense move to defeat them, they're far easier to keep a handle on.

Mr Khan said:

The Desbrechians (what those power-bomb monsters are called) kicked my ass pretty severely the first time i had to fight one to open such a door. Once you figure out that you pretty much *have* to use the sense move to defeat them, they're far easier to keep a handle on.

Oh yeah, I've done it a couple of times where I'll pummel them from afar only to watch them turn into a... er... green ball thing and completely regenerate. Also, trying to actually run from them brings pretty comical results, as they'll just catch you and slam you to the ground. Sense move ftw!