By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Metroid Other M Thread

Khuutra said:
Conegamer said:
Khuutra said:

This implies that Metroid and Halo have the same demographics, or Halo's overlaps with Metroid's.

This is not the case. Gamers arn't that broadly classified.

I suppose I'm just dissapointed with the sales, and there's no hiding- no way of getting out of it;

Gaming has changed. 

Back when I started gaming, there was no such thing as an "FPS" (I remember Duke Nukem Forever vividly). Now it's the "in thing"

Surely this should mean that Other M would sell well? Quite the opposite. These so-called "hardcore" gamers see a game as "hardcore" and "mature" due to being able to blow stuff up. Hence the Wii isn't recognised, due to poorer graphics. This results in less of Other M's target audience OWNING a Wii, let alone getting the game...

Perhaps I'm blowing things out of proportion, but I preferred a world where you weren't recognised for owning a different console to other people, and it was just considered "geeky". I KNOW metroid games dont normally SELL THAT WELL but still

Other M is being seriously outperformed by the pprior Metroid game on Wii. This is nont a problem with the Wii. It's a problem with the game.

The question then would be *what,* though, as I would like to cover all ground to make sure it doesn't slide into a "Malstrom Was Right" hate-fest of some sort.

This definitely wouldn't be the first time that a second installation of a franchise has under-performed on Wii, though it may be the first time its happened to Nintendo (maybe. Galaxy 2 might, but at the levels its pulling its not as significant). Similar factors may play in here that crippled No More Heroes 2, for instance.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Khuutra said:

Other M is being seriously outperformed by the pprior Metroid game on Wii. This is nont a problem with the Wii. It's a problem with the game.

The question then would be *what,* though, as I would like to cover all ground to make sure it doesn't slide into a "Malstrom Was Right" hate-fest of some sort.

This definitely wouldn't be the first time that a second installation of a franchise has under-performed on Wii, though it may be the first time its happened to Nintendo (maybe. Galaxy 2 might, but at the levels its pulling its not as significant). Similar factors may play in here that crippled No More Heroes 2, for instance.

The game differentiated itself plenty. I think the problem is more that people don't think it's as good as they wanted it to be.

Mr Khan said:
Khuutra said:
Conegamer said:
Khuutra said:

This implies that Metroid and Halo have the same demographics, or Halo's overlaps with Metroid's.

I suppose I'm just dissapointed with the sales, and there's no hiding- no way of getting out of it;

Gaming has changed. 

Back when I started gaming, there was no such thing as an "FPS" (I remember Duke Nukem Forever vividly). Now it's the "in thing"

Surely this should mean that Other M would sell well? Quite the opposite. These so-called "hardcore" gamers see a game as "hardcore" and "mature" due to being able to blow stuff up. Hence the Wii isn't recognised, due to poorer graphics. This results in less of Other M's target audience OWNING a Wii, let alone getting the game...

Perhaps I'm blowing things out of proportion, but I preferred a world where you weren't recognised for owning a different console to other people, and it was just considered "geeky". I KNOW metroid games dont normally SELL THAT WELL but still

It's quite an interesting proposal, actually. The people who bought the first game are the target audience for the second, but not everyone likes/wants another one. Newcomers would want to get the older one first, and then think about getting the second...

The diference really is about the amount of advertising the game is getting, and that's what is frustrating about the sales.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Mr Khan said:
Khuutra said:
Conegamer said:
Khuutra said:

Gaming has changed. 

Malstrom wouldn't be right about hating the game. It would be he was right in this not being the kind of Metroid game people like, no matter how good or bad it is.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Mr Khan said:

Malstrom wouldn't be right about hating the game. It would be he was right in this not being the kind of Metroid game people like, no matter how good or bad it is.

That is exactly to what Mr Khan is referring, which is why I posited it's just nto as good as people wanted it to be (for whatever reason each person has)

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Mr Khan said:

That is exactly to what Mr Khan is referring, which is why I posited it's just nto as good as people wanted it to be (for whatever reason each person has)

This is what happens when someone forgets that people have a certain image of a product, and that you can't just radically change it. You can make minor changes as an option (which Cherry Coke is a success and New Coke wasn't), but expecting the customer to just think of your product in any way you present it is foolish.

So Sakamoto had a vision of Metroid, but didn't really see if it was the vision the audience shared (especially since he seems to be ignoring Prime).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Good lord, I love this game so much.  Had to start over due to a glitch, though.  Yet I don't mind at all.  

Khuutra said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Considering the sales of NSMBWii in EMAA, I think it's safe to say that was a hit in the UK as well.

If the legs for Other M don't hold, it's likely they will swtich to another Prime style game next time.

I wouldn't go so far, but they'll probably move away from the dialogue/cutscene-heavy direction of Other M.

I'm on my knees

God please make the evil sakamoto stay away from metriod and ,please god make it with sparse dialog and short cut-scenes

And please bless mom and daddy

d21lewis said:

Good lord, I love this game so much.  Had to start over due to a glitch, though.  Yet I don't mind at all.  

It wasn't a glitch, afterall!  I just didn't bomb the right wall.  Boy, did I waste my day off or what? 

mhsillen said:
Khuutra said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Considering the sales of NSMBWii in EMAA, I think it's safe to say that was a hit in the UK as well.

If the legs for Other M don't hold, it's likely they will swtich to another Prime style game next time.

I wouldn't go so far, but they'll probably move away from the dialogue/cutscene-heavy direction of Other M.

I'm on my knees

God please make the evil sakamoto stay away from metriod and ,please god make it with sparse dialog and short cut-scenes

And please bless mom and daddy

Sakamoto was involved with every metroid game other than the  primes and Retro wants to do  other projects other than metroid so I think your wasting time...

I love fighting games !!! Come on challenge me !