Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Metroid Other M Thread

MaxwellGT2000 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
KylieDog said:
Mr Khan said:
KylieDog said:

I dunno, I sense Nintendo yelling piracy.

While Nintendo's very vigorously fighting piracy (just got another junk firmware update yesterday entirely to that cause), i'm not certain they've ever blamed piracy for their own software's failings.

Maybe, but I remember them blaming piracy for a drop in Euro DS sales despite R4s and such being available worldwide, somehow only affecting Europe.

Well when it comes to games, the simple solution is a game that doesn't appeal mainly to those likely to pirate it (not that there won't be a lot of pirating, just plenty of actual sales as well).

The problem with a lot of EU piracy is the fact that Nintendo themselves aren't supporting every country like they should so its either import the game from other countries at higher prices than HD titles or fire up some flash cards and homebrew and be done with it, currently sad to say in some regions its more convient to pirate, while having ample supply at a retail store could be so much easier.  This is a big reason Sony has such a good standing in the region, SNES days some countries had to get their games at awfully high prices and then the PS1 came along and supplied them with games.

Well there is the matter of Sony having support in general in those contries even before the Playstation brand started. But it is best for Nintendo to continue to expand.

There is no way to deny that, Sony already had relations with retailers there and used it, but if Nintendo is to compete especially with their newfound leadership in the market, they should use it to expand to those areas, create those relations, which this doesn't effect me in anyway so I'm a happy camper but you know people would like to be able to walk to the store and buy some Wii Fit lol

Notice the bolded part? That meant I agreed with you.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
KylieDog said:
Mr Khan said:
KylieDog said:

I dunno, I sense Nintendo yelling piracy.

While Nintendo's very vigorously fighting piracy (just got another junk firmware update yesterday entirely to that cause), i'm not certain they've ever blamed piracy for their own software's failings.

Maybe, but I remember them blaming piracy for a drop in Euro DS sales despite R4s and such being available worldwide, somehow only affecting Europe.

Well when it comes to games, the simple solution is a game that doesn't appeal mainly to those likely to pirate it (not that there won't be a lot of pirating, just plenty of actual sales as well).

The problem with a lot of EU piracy is the fact that Nintendo themselves aren't supporting every country like they should so its either import the game from other countries at higher prices than HD titles or fire up some flash cards and homebrew and be done with it, currently sad to say in some regions its more convient to pirate, while having ample supply at a retail store could be so much easier.  This is a big reason Sony has such a good standing in the region, SNES days some countries had to get their games at awfully high prices and then the PS1 came along and supplied them with games.

Well there is the matter of Sony having support in general in those contries even before the Playstation brand started. But it is best for Nintendo to continue to expand.

There is no way to deny that, Sony already had relations with retailers there and used it, but if Nintendo is to compete especially with their newfound leadership in the market, they should use it to expand to those areas, create those relations, which this doesn't effect me in anyway so I'm a happy camper but you know people would like to be able to walk to the store and buy some Wii Fit lol

Notice the bolded part? That meant I agreed with yout.

I was just agreeing with you as well

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Oh, okay.

As for this game, going off of expanded universe materials, even canonical, should be done more than just slapping it on there and expecting it to work.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Oh, okay.

As for this game, going off of expanded universe materials, even canonical, should be done more than just slapping it on there and expecting it to work.

Well I think much like the idea Nintendo should try to expand, they should also bring things like the comics over, hell a perfect preorder bonus, get the Metroid manga, get that extra story out there, and since Other M takes a LOT from Fusion yet a lot of Prime players (many of which were new to the Metroid series) didn't play Fusion they're not making money off it anymore include that on the Other M disc since many Prime players missed out.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Oh, okay.

Well I think much like the idea Nintendo should try to expand, they should also bring things like the comics over, hell a perfect preorder bonus, get the Metroid manga, get that extra story out there, and since Other M takes a LOT from Fusion yet a lot of Prime players (many of which were new to the Metroid series) didn't play Fusion they're not making money off it anymore include that on the Other M disc since many Prime players missed out.

Well I played Fusion, and what I've seen of this game (videos are online) still looks too far. But as you said, getting the comics out would have been a good idea. They should have had the comics given out as much as possible, even publicly avaiable on sponsored comic viewing sites, before they even tried this with the game.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

Well I played Fusion, and what I've seen of this game (videos are online) still looks too far. But as you said, getting the comics out would have been a good idea. They should have had the comics given out as much as possible, even publicly avaiable on sponsored comic viewing sites, before they even tried this with the game.

Biggest thing I believe is NoA/NoE/NoAus ALL need to take note from NoJ support the IPs outside of the general games world, there's a single Nintendo store in New York... whoopie!  They need to do more stuff that appeals to the regions public much like Microsoft does in America, whats that like Halo?  Like Mountain Dew?  Well here's gamer fuel.  Oh you like novels of the Halo franchise that tells backstory? Here's some books (one of which is now a GAME! you might have heard of it it's called Reach ) Now Nintendo could get a writer to make a Metroid novel, it could take off it might not but you can try.

Finally my copy arrived!!!  I'll play it tonight and post later my impressions.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Demotruk said:

http://www.vg247.com/2010/09/06/uk-charts-mafia-ii-holds-top-spot-other-m-misses-top-ten/

UK sales charts, Other M not in top ten.

lol. Beaten by HAWX 2, Sniper: Ghost Warrior and the old ass PoP: Forgotten Sands? Good. I hope it flops.

Truly, Nintendo really can't win... can it? The biggest problem Nintendo has, is its own fans.

They do something new. Blah. Give me the old.

They do something old. Blah. Give me something new.

They mix the two up do. Blad. I'm confused, but i still don't like it.

You know there is life outside of VGChartz.  Most fans like me who played the first NES metriod and loved it

And the second and super metriod know who Samus is.  The first metriod was fun but hard.  This game is not Samus, you can give me all the excuses that this is what sakamoto wanted from the beginning but I'm not buying it. He could of added all angst in the first game like Ninja Gaiden.

I don't get where you come up with the stuff I highlighted we long time fans know what we want.  Mario games that are side-scrolling.  zelda games  like first three on the nes and snes. 

I liked prime1 it was to most fans a real samus and real metriod game.

And the horrid script what is the point of doing a script and having it suck so bad, Sakamoto doesn't know what he is doing.  Didn't someone tell him your writing sucks donkey?  And the plot common some bad sci-fi movies have more imagination.  I could only stomach 2 hours of this game.  I love metriod but we were handed something else

The question then why was he allowed to do the writing? Why have that aspect in the game when it isn't any damn good?

Well, I'm a long time Metroid fan, played it since NES days and have had pretty much every metroid game, even Hunters Pinball. 

I damn sure appreciate the current characterization of Samus, because now she's an actual character in which I see some similarities and can realistically comprehend some of the motives behind her actions. 

To me, Other M is being a pure Metroid experience, overhauled with the deeper portrayal of Samus. And since Other M is supposed to be a bridge-story between the events of Super Metroid and Fusion, without Prime in between as well, there hasn't been a scene or character portrayal so far that feels out of line.

Probably the majority of long time fans don't like the current direction, but to me, it's been an amazing experience so far, even rivaling the experience that I had the first time I played Prime on the GC.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Damnation did that ending come out of left field, but it was quite satisfying for all that.

The Metroids were harder to deal with than the Queen herself, given that you pretty much had to freeze all four in one shot to realistically be able to shoot at any of the frozen ones.

Now on to the post-game.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.