By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Metroid Other M Thread

chocoloco said:

Is it worth play this metriod if I never have played any before and have no intention to play the old ones?

Will I be lost in the story? Is the gameplay fun enough to jump in not caring about the previous story.

Well the game explains all of the back story, it's fun as hell to play, and it builds onto the other stories but doesn't rely on them.

I say go for it

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network
MaxwellGT2000 said:
chocoloco said:

Is it worth play this metriod if I never have played any before and have no intention to play the old ones?

Will I be lost in the story? Is the gameplay fun enough to jump in not caring about the previous story.

Well the game explains all of the back story, it's fun as hell to play, and it builds onto the other stories but doesn't rely on them.

I say go for it

Is this coming from a long time fan of the series or did you just start playing?

chocoloco said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
chocoloco said:

I say go for it

Is this coming from a long time fan of the series or did you just start playing?

In the middle, I started playing the series last gen, though I've at least played every game (except prime 2) in the series before Other M

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
chocoloco said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
chocoloco said:

I say go for it

In the middle, I started playing the series last gen, though I've at least played every game (except prime 2) in the series before Other M

Thanx for the tip I was looking for advice from someone newer to series and I got it.

They kind of killed/rewrote the character of Samus Aran.

Within the first hour of the game, they pretty much took the basic premise of the character (physically strong/imposing, silent, action speaks louder than words, mentally and emotionally rock solid, etc.) and turned her into a petulant, vulnerable little girl.

While its understandable that she wasn't a born ass-kicker from infancy, she still had a strong genetic advantage (Chozo DNA!) from childhood that was used as a story telling device to make her a bit more believable as a one-woman army.

Plus, she just doesn't work that well as a "team player" character, which is presumably why she left the police in the first place. It doesn't work that well in Other M where she's reduced from being a completely independent solo-operator to the good soldier that obeys orders well.

Control-wise, I think they maybe should have put in multiple options (nunchuck/remote). It's almost like they didn't because they wanted fixed camera angles, which works for a side/top scroller like the original games, but... Other M isn't a scroller.

But whatever; I still want to see where the rest of the game goes, even if it isn't quite the game I had hoped it would be.

Around the Network

I really like this game. It has grown and grown on me. Now about 7 hours in.

I also don't think the game is actually sexist. Yet.

Should read the article that claims it is... is there a thread on it?

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

greenmedic88 said:

They kind of killed/rewrote the character of Samus Aran.

Within the first hour of the game, they pretty much took the basic premise of the character (physically strong/imposing, silent, action speaks louder than words, mentally and emotionally rock solid, etc.) and turned her into a petulant, vulnerable little girl.

While its understandable that she wasn't a born ass-kicker from infancy, she still had a strong genetic advantage (Chozo DNA!) from childhood that was used as a story telling device to make her a bit more believable as a one-woman army.

Plus, she just doesn't work that well as a "team player" character, which is presumably why she left the police in the first place. It doesn't work that well in Other M where she's reduced from being a completely independent solo-operator to the good soldier that obeys orders well.

Control-wise, I think they maybe should have put in multiple options (nunchuck/remote). It's almost like they didn't because they wanted fixed camera angles, which works for a side/top scroller like the original games, but... Other M isn't a scroller.

But whatever; I still want to see where the rest of the game goes, even if it isn't quite the game I had hoped it would be.

even if they did portray her as petulant - she probably was as a teen. but her experiences since as an adult made her hard.

im sure even John McClane and Ivan Drago were little prcks when they were spotty teenagers!!

and i still maintain that the game shows you a lot of her thoughts, but if you watch, she very rarely speaks these thoughts, and very rarely reacts to anything going on around her - if you turned the sound off youd be watching the same samus you are referring too from other games. so she has emotions still...thats fine...but i think she is hiding them even in this game, and its all staying inside her.

whos to say what she was thinking inside her helmet while she was running around in prime or super metroid? probably the same thing!

anyway, regardless, if this character they've portrayed has been designed and written by the same person who created samus in the first place, chances are its an accurate portrayal of who they wanted her to be and the gaming public have got the wrong impression over the years!

Muramasa: the Demon Blade

For those wanting to discuss the depth of the game we have a new article up ^^ Stephen did a little bit of research for you guys.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/81909/ptsd-or-weakness-real-experts-on-why-samus-didnt-shoot/

I'd like to see if that expert was shown just the scene, or the context of the battles Samus was in before. From what is said there, the PSTD should have taken effect a lot more often.

Plus I don't think any of us were claiming the reaction wasn't natural. We are pointing out the reaction from someone who's fought a lot of battles on her own without flinching isn't natural.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

First week numbers are in for Europe.

I'm not going to use a word like "abysmal", but it debuted at like 30-35% as high as Corruption.

We'll see if the Americas respond more positively...