By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Files Two Patents Related To Stereoscopic Screen Sharing

Um.... I have a question guys... How likely will it be that developers are willing to at least render the in-game graphics 4 times?

Think about it, 2 times, one per screen to separate, and 2 per each of those to make them 3D...You will be taking a huge graphical (not to mention frame-rate, etc) hit there, likened to Wii-powered graphics.

Considering most devs (esp FPS) on PS3 games have disabled splitscreem (Resistance 2, Killzone 3, Metal Gear Online) due to not wanteing performance to suffer, what would make them want to degrade the visuals even more, to Wii-like standards?

Around the Network

That's an unbelievably awesome idea !

I'd buy a 3d tv just for that.

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

L.C.E.C. said:

Um.... I have a question guys... How likely will it be that developers are willing to at least render the in-game graphics 4 times?

Think about it, 2 times, one per screen to separate, and 2 per each of those to make them 3D...You will be taking a huge graphical (not to mention frame-rate, etc) hit there, likened to Wii-powered graphics.

Considering most devs (esp FPS) on PS3 games have disabled splitscreem (Resistance 2, Killzone 3, Metal Gear Online) due to not wanteing performance to suffer, what would make them want to degrade the visuals even more, to Wii-like standards?

This won't be 3D. It will be 2D, with 2 different screens on the same TV.

PS3 can do it but resolution will drop by 1/2...

disolitude said:
L.C.E.C. said:

Well I just kinda read the last part of the OP saying "huge news for the future of 3D TVs if implemented"

and given the post above you, I'm not the only one getting that message either... But Geez, Sony dividing their PS3 consumers even more? o.o  I mean, now on the box of every game it's gonna say "3D-TV compatible", or "Dual-View compatible", or both... And a tad bit confusing for the average consumer (who doesn't know the difference between HD and widescreen), imo

leatherhat said:
kowenicki said:
leatherhat said:

Awesome. But why so many haters?

where?

Sony has a good idea and the first people into the thread try to shoot it down. And don't give me that nonsense about TI building a prototype with no commercial use. We give MS credit for console online and we give nintendo credit for motion controls. Because they made it relevant in the market.

Hummm... what? You're slashing TI for building a prototype with no commercial use as compared to Sony which built a great successful product that I can just go to the store and buy. Yes... what is the name of this successful product that does this again?

Nice idea. But can they get a patent for it even though they are 2 years late?

Around the Network
leatherhat said:
kowenicki said:
leatherhat said:

where?

Sony has a good idea and the first people into the thread try to shoot it down. And don't give me that nonsense about TI building a prototype with no commercial use. We give MS credit for console online and we give nintendo credit for motion controls. Because they made it relevant in the market.

oh sorry didn't realize this PATENT was already commercial use.

keep on innovating Sony, make us proud

L.C.E.C. said:
disolitude said:
L.C.E.C. said:

Well I just kinda read the last part of the OP saying "huge news for the future of 3D TVs if implemented"

and given the post above you, I'm not the only one getting that message either... But Geez, Sony dividing their PS3 consumers even more? o.o  I mean, now on the box of every game it's gonna say "3D-TV compatible", or "Dual-View compatible", or both... And a tad bit confusing for the average consumer (who doesn't know the difference between HD and widescreen), imo

Yeah, I can see why people may find this confusing. If this story is true, its just a pattent... I don't think Sony will push to have this implemented for a while if at all with the PS3.

Don't forget that PS3 has to process 2 streams of audio at the same time as processing video. One person has to wear headphones etc...

In any case, I can see an adapter for these new 3D TVs which lets you do this with 2 consoles...no matter what the console is in the near future. :) Its really not hard to do. You can already do it on the PC using 2 capture cards...

ok so lets say i buy a new 3DTV, do these glasses work for 3D? or do i need to have 2 pairs of glasses?

are glasses the new remote control, going to have 10 pairso f glasses laying around your living room

rubido said:
leatherhat said:
kowenicki said:
leatherhat said:

where?

Hummm... what? You're slashing TI for building a prototype with no commercial use as compared to Sony which built a great successful product that I can just go to the store and buy. Yes... what is the name of this successful product that does this again?

Nice idea. But can they get a patent for it even though they are 2 years late?

Pattent probably works on a different technology. The pattent which texas instruments has uses checkerboard pattern which DLP TVs use. This probably uses the frame packing method which the new HDMI 1.4 TVs use.

Slight difference, new pattent...

You can purcahse this adapter Dualview adapter for 3D DLP TVs BTW. RealD sells it for some rediculous price. ~1000 bucks...

irstupid said:

ok so lets say i buy a new 3DTV, do these glasses work for 3D? or do i need to have 2 pairs of glasses?

are glasses the new remote control, going to have 10 pairso f glasses laying around your living room

lol, yeah. Same glasses would work for 3D and dualview.

So far I have 4 of them sitting on my game room table, in little pouches... :)