By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Xbox 720 and Wii 2 will beat PS4 to market

Ping_ii said:
Killiana1a said:

Sony will do just fine entering the market a year or two late. An extra year or two will give them an accurate read of the market and allow them to penetrate niche areas of the market underserved by either Nintendo or Microsoft. My only concern is a repeat of the PS3 where Sony waits a year later because they are building the PS4 to be a behemoth of a gaming machine very few can afford.

The only major downside I can see for Sony entering the market late is a lack of quality 3rd party games because if you are reading the tea leaves with the 3DS, Nintendo is pushing hard to get back into the "hardcore" market which had been an almost exclusive niche of Sony's during the PS1 era until Microsoft entered and split the "hardcore" market in half during the Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox era. Nintendo getting serious and back to it's "hardcore" roots will present a hurdle for both Sony and Microsoft, but moreso for Sony because Sony has no brand comparable to Halo or Gears of War.

LOL!!! I'll just pretend I didn't read this ignorance.

Can you seriously say that Metal Gear, Infamous, God of War, MAG, and Uncharted have had the same influence and sheer sales numbers as either the Halo or Gears of War brand?

I cannot think of a more influential series in the US during the 2000s than Halo. Likewise, Gears of War has been immensely popular and has a legacy of classic brands such as Mass Effect copying it's 3rd person duck and cover action style.

Yes, Uncharted, Metal Gear, and God of War may sell immensely, but what is their influence and legacy besides sequels? Do they have other game developers following their lead? Do they have millions of fans dressing up as Master Chief?

The cultural impact is just as important if not more important than the actual sales numbers. Why do you think Modern Warfare 2's sales numbers tanked after 3 months of being released? People realized it was an unpolished product pushed onto the market too early thusforth it may have sold well, but just as many people will remember the horrors of Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer as those who reveled in being a camper who padded their K/D ration via kill streaks and closet skulking.

Around the Network
Killiana1a said:
Ping_ii said:

Can you seriously say that Metal Gear, Infamous, God of War, MAG, and Uncharted have had the same influence and sheer sales numbers as either the Halo or Gears of War brand?

I cannot think of a more influential series in the US during the 2000s than Halo. Likewise, Gears of War has been immensely popular and has a legacy of classic brands such as Mass Effect copying it's 3rd person duck and cover action style.

Yes, Uncharted, Metal Gear, and God of War may sell immensely, but what is their influence and legacy besides sequels? Do they have other game developers following their lead? Do they have millions of fans dressing up as Master Chief?

The cultural impact is just as important if not more important than the actual sales numbers. Why do you think Modern Warfare 2's sales numbers tanked after 3 months of being released? People realized it was an unpolished product pushed onto the market too early thusforth it may have sold well, but just as many people will remember the horrors of Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer as those who reveled in being a camper who padded their K/D ration via kill streaks and closet skulking.

All comparable brands to date have not succeeded in the new PS3 shooter freindly console world, the next comparable brand to go heads up with Halo and GOW will be GT5 and I seriously doubt it will even exceed GOW figures let alone Halo 3.

We shall see soon enough but the preorders are not pointing to anything special and for GT5 to go head to head with Halo they need to be suceeding in Europe and US.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
welshbloke said:
Killiana1a said:
Ping_ii said:

All comparable brands to date have not succeeded in the new PS3 shooter freindly console world, the next comparable brand to go heads up with Halo and GOW will be GT5 and I seriously doubt it will even exceed GOW figures let alone Halo 3.

We shall see soon enough but the preorders are not pointing to anything special and for GT5 to go head to head with Halo they need to be suceeding in Europe and US.

Alright, you got me, my little attempt at trolling was found like the wily wabbit.

The Metal Gear series is as influential a series as any we can think of besides Mario, Donkey Kong, and the like. I have to admit I have done 3 playthroughs of Metal Gear Solid 2 and still do not have a full grasp of the complexity of the story.

I am reserving judgment regarding Gran Turismo 5 because if I say "Gran Turismo is irrelevant, but was relevant 5 years ago," then I may be more than likley proven wrong. I don't like to be wrong because I don't want to Pachterize myself as Michael Pachter does to himself everytime he makes one of his asinine predictions such as "Red Dead Redemption will not be a blockbuster."

Killiana1a said:
Ping_ii said:
Killiana1a said:

Sony will do just fine entering the market a year or two late. An extra year or two will give them an accurate read of the market and allow them to penetrate niche areas of the market underserved by either Nintendo or Microsoft. My only concern is a repeat of the PS3 where Sony waits a year later because they are building the PS4 to be a behemoth of a gaming machine very few can afford.

The only major downside I can see for Sony entering the market late is a lack of quality 3rd party games because if you are reading the tea leaves with the 3DS, Nintendo is pushing hard to get back into the "hardcore" market which had been an almost exclusive niche of Sony's during the PS1 era until Microsoft entered and split the "hardcore" market in half during the Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox era. Nintendo getting serious and back to it's "hardcore" roots will present a hurdle for both Sony and Microsoft, but moreso for Sony because Sony has no brand comparable to Halo or Gears of War.

If all your after is "sheer sales numbers" then Gran turismo series just wins over those two seires.

Go have a look GT series >>>>> halo or Gears series(sales).

GT1 -10.85m

GT2 -9.37m

GT3 -14.89m

GT4-10.54

Vertigo-X said:
geddesmond2 said:
twesterm said:
snfr said:

Want to add something to my previous post.

When I first read the interview in this thread I knew that comments like "Sony just waits so that they can copy Nintendo and MS." will come up. Seriously guys, if you hate Sony then do it for your own and don't write BS like this. It's just annoying, so stop it. (Why can't this being considered trolling?! btw...)

Why?

Sony isn't keen on innovating, they'd rather let other people do that and then improve on their designs. 

They saw what Microsoft did with Live and made the PSN based off of that.  They looked at what people liked and didn't like to make it.

They saw how Nintendo captured a new marked with the Wii and made the Move.  They decided to make a Wii that the casual crowd could still enjoy but also provide games the core gamers have been screaming for.

As much as you don't like people saying it, Sony is good at taking a look at what others are doing and then trying to make it their own.

Lol ok right so Sonys the only company to do that right. Like Nintendo didn't look at Atari back in the 1970s and say hey we want in on what they've got there right and Microsoft didn't magically enter the consol market last gen either, no they've always been here right. Infact Sony never released a peripheral for the PS2 that looked like a camera and could track your movements. Nah Microsoft is the only company to have that sort of technology because they are so innovative.

I mean screw Sony. If Sony never entered the consol market it would have been a much beter place because all they did was copy every other company out there.

You really shouldn't make assumptions about what people say, especially when you quote them.

He never said Sony was the only one to do that.

Ok first of all show me where I quoted him???? because he pointed out that Sony copies people and I pointed out every company does it. Whats the problem? Its you now thats making assumptions.

Around the Network
Killiana1a said:

Sony’s greatest successes in the videogame market were the Playstation and PS2 which both launched 18 months before their competition; and were able to build a library, user-base, and relationships with third party publishers in the absence of strong competition.

Throughout the (short) history of the videogame market, any system that launched after consumers and publishers settled on the generation’s market leading console have done very poorly. If Nintendo produces a follow-up system to the Wii which is as popular launching a year or more after it would be suicide; and if the next XBox sees a similar increase in popularity as the XBox 360 saw over the XBox, giving them a year or more to build momentum would be a very big mistake. 

This isn't to say that launching late dooms the PS4, but unless Nintendo and Microsoft both screw up it really puts the PS4 at a significant disadvantage; and if either console manufacturer can capitalize on the first-mover-advantage it could doom the PS4.

Killiana1a said:

Let me answer this.

Yes they do have game developers following their lead. You remember Dante's Inferno? And with Uncharted 2 winning most of the GOTY awards 2009 I doubt that no one will make a similar game. Metal Gear is not a Sony franchise, but well... Splinter Cell perhaps, but you can't really compare them, so forget about that.

And you have totally ignored Gran Turismo's influence in Europe, it's bigger than Halo here.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

snfr said:

And if anyone thinks that Sony will finish 3rd next gen because of that... well... I think Sony doesn't care at all how they finish in the console war as long as they sell many units of the PS4.

lol and what is the console wars if not selling many units?? =)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Vertigo-X said:
geddesmond2 said:
VXIII said:
geddesmond2 said:
twesterm said:
snfr said:

Want to add something to my previous post.

When I first read the interview in this thread I knew that comments like "Sony just waits so that they can copy Nintendo and MS." will come up. Seriously guys, if you hate Sony then do it for your own and don't write BS like this. It's just annoying, so stop it. (Why can't this being considered trolling?! btw...)

Why?

Sony isn't keen on innovating, they'd rather let other people do that and then improve on their designs. 

They saw what Microsoft did with Live and made the PSN based off of that.  They looked at what people liked and didn't like to make it.

They saw how Nintendo captured a new marked with the Wii and made the Move.  They decided to make a Wii that the casual crowd could still enjoy but also provide games the core gamers have been screaming for.

As much as you don't like people saying it, Sony is good at taking a look at what others are doing and then trying to make it their own.

Lol ok right so Sonys the only company to do that right. Like Nintendo didn't look at Atari back in the 1970s and say hey we want in on what they've got there right and Microsoft didn't magically enter the consol market last gen either, no they've always been here right. Infact Sony never released a peripheral for the PS2 that looked like a camera and could track your movements. Nah Microsoft is the only company to have that sort of technology because they are so innovative.

I mean screw Sony. If Sony never entered the consol market it would have been a much beter place because all they did was copy every other company out there.

I know.. no matters what the case is , Sony well be just a copycat , even if they're the ones who invented and developed the DVD ( along side with Philips, Toshiba, and Time Warner for that matter) and the first ones to demonstrate an optical digital audio disc as a spin-off of laserdisc tech 3 years before any other company , and let alone the blue-ray , HDMI , CELL processor (?) , 3D ( bu bu but the Virtual Boy did it ... I'm talking about the real advanced technology ).

" This is from my other post ,,, OH there are hundreds of these people in here "

Hey don't forget Sonys walkman either lol. I mean all these kids walking around with there ipods in there ears listening to there favorite artists, (probably the artists signed to Sony Music lol) bashing Sony saying all they do is copy lol. This is why I said pure ignorance in my first post on this thread

... AAAannnddd this is why people like you shouldn't post. Walkmans have nothing to do with gaming.

Ultimately, twestern wasn't saying that copying is bad business-wise. If it enables more sales then more power to the company that does it.

Woah dude you should really grow as sense of humour. I was being sarcastic showing the ignorance of some people that post crappy points about companys with that walkman remark.

Oh and by the way Twestern stated that Sony copies and I stated they are not the only ones to do it. Take it as you will but the bottom line is hes speaking on Sony like there so evil, like all they can do is copy others even though that is not the case and they brought a lot of things to the table entertainment wise over the past 30 years.

Sonys so evil and bad when they do it but oh no when other companys do it thats ok right.

Ping_ii said:

If all your after is "sheer sales numbers" then Gran turismo series just wins over those two seires.

Go have a look GT series >>>>> halo or Gears series(sales).

GT1 -10.85m

GT2 -9.37m

GT3 -14.89m

GT4-10.54

For me previous sales are less important than this generation. Currently the PS3 does not have a Halo 3 it has a shot at it with GT5 but I am sceptical it can succeed as I believe the userbase of the PS3 has moved on. I have not doubt that it will be commercially very successful I just doubt it will be a 10 million seller, then again they could bundle it with every PS3 sold for the next 5 years that would do it aka Wii Sports styley.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.