By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: We “Legitimized [Gaming] As A Form Of Entertainment!

Onibaka said:

Before PSX, VGs were just a TOY. Sony was first to bring cinematic experiences and make games more serious. I love Gran Turismo. And without that, i would be playing shit sim games for the rest of my life. Mario Kart is really cool for my tastes, but sometimes i need to play soemthing more serious.

Dualshock is amazing too. Is like a evolution of the SNES controller, with is very good. Nintendo abandoned a great controller theme to make shits like the n64 and gc controllers. Even Wiimote is a shit in most cases(general in 3rd parties games) and needs Motion Plus to work great.

There are so much bias in this forum and hate for Sony. In this generation, Nintendo Fanboys came from my "best fanboys of the 3" to "the worst". In the past, I thought that the fans of Nintendo knew how to appreciate all forms of enterteinment. But I was so wrong, actually they only serve to the nintendo god. I get really angry when some shit wii game gets more praise than a good hd games in this site. No more heroes, for example, if it was a HD game, it would suck sooo much compared other games. But on Wii no, because we, with some exceptions, only have 1° party games good.

I had only a Wii for 3 years(when i bought a ps3 in march this year) and i think that Nintendo had the best E3, with great wii games coming and a amazing handhels. BUT, we must knowledge that Sony had a great E3 too. Nintendo fans are getting really crazy this gen(joining sony fanboys with were already crazy) and they didn't learned that Nintendo is just other Corporation. They came to the point that Xenoblade is 10000x more interesting than FFXIIIVersus. And Tales of Graces is 1000x better than Tales of Vesperia. 3d Glasses are now a reason for the fall of the universe, cool.

MS and Sony fanboys are no better than that. But nowaday I have to say that Nintendo fanboys are no better than the others, to not say worst.

actually, I played Xenoblade and it's better than FF13 at least, I don't know about Versus yet, still pre-order status because Nomura is a bitch, and I played Tales of Graces and it's better than Vesperia, not 1000000000000000000000000000000000x better of course, but they are definitely better games.

btw, this forum loves PS3, if anything, 360 is the underdog on VGC these days. Nintendo has always been bad of course, just look at Rol! Nintendo is winning and rolling in profits after all........

Around the Network

I don't care what all these biased haters have to say. All I can say is PS1 was the consol that turned me into a hardcore gamer and theres hundreds of thousands who would tell people the same thing. All you have to do is ask people whats there most favorite franchises of all time and there answers would be games that started out on the PS1.

Resident evil, Spyro the dragon, crash bandicoot, FF7 made that franchise hugh outside of Japan and it turned the series into 3D, Metal gear solid, Gran turismo, Tekken. Developers made millions of pound making games for the PS1. Millions of pounds that developers today are probably using to make games for this generation and loads of todays developers got there start working on the PS1. Yous would have to be ignorant not to know without Sony this industry wouldn't be what it is today.

Before the PS1 - Associated with nerdy, geeky, no life gamers that had long, curly ginger hair, harry potter glasses and old jeans.

PS1 and PS2 - A more mainstream company enters. Associated with a wide range of people playing, and addiction.

Xbox 360 - Associated with mouthy, fat American teens playing online 24/7 and breaking up with their girlfriends for COD or Halo.

PS3 -Associated with the tech savy, well off, sophisticated alpha male who games to relax and enjoys high definition movies.

Wii - Kiddies, females and the elderly.

So i'd agree. And put your survey charts away, we all know in the real world that these are common views on the consoles.

BBH said:

Before the PS1 - Associated with nerdy, geeky, no life gamers that had long, curly ginger hair, harry potter glasses and old jeans.

PS1 and PS2 - A more mainstream company enters. Associated with a wide range of people playing, and addiction.

Xbox 360 - Associated with mouthy, fat American teens playing online 24/7 and breaking up with their girlfriends for COD or Halo.

PS3 -Associated with the tech savy, well off, sophisticated alpha male who games to relax and enjoys high definition movies.

So i'd agree. And put your survey charts away, we all know in the real world that these are common views on the consoles.

no that is the immature high school person view of the industry, oh and also the immature video game reviewers

I've never known the PS1 to have expanded much or changed alot, as far as I'm aware all that happened is everyone who previous had a NES, or SNES, or Genesis bought a PS1. Yeah the userbase was older, but that was cause it was 4 years since we got our SNES for Christmas...

You can see today that Sony (And now Microsofts) market is pretty much those now full-time job people who grew up on the SNES > PS1 > PS2 type progression for the most part, and they've pretty much left Nintendo to snap up the new generation of younger gamers with the DS and WIi. Whenever I'm in a GAME store there will always be a few preteens there, and they'll never be looking at anything but the DS or Wii shelf.

The PS1 did 'legitimize' gaming to some people though, I remember all the people who scorned me as a 'nerd' when I talked about Zelda or Metroid at school a few years later raving up FIFA and FFVII. They aimed their marketing at older people and alot of idiots suddenly weren't turned off at playing with what was a toy, but it was hardly a completely overhaul in mainstream opinion.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
BBH said:

no that is the immature high school person view of the industry, oh and also the immature video game reviewers

I assure you it's a much wider view that just high school folks, whether you like it or not. You probably won't believe me anyway because you might not want to.

KylieDog said:
mai said:

Scoobes said:

Games like MGS, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Tomb Raider, Gran Turismo, Syphon Filter etc.

Before MGS there were Metal Gear games, Metal Gear was NES. Sweet Home is an inspiration behind Resident Evil, Sweet Home was on NES. Silent Hill yet another horror-themed game, though a great one, there're dozens of them on NES and SNES, such as Laplace no Ma on SNES based on H.P.Lovecraft stories. Tomb Raider franchise heavily borrows from Indiana Jones themes, there were Indiana Jones games on NES. Gran Turismo is a racing game, so about what mature themes we're talking here? Didn't play Syphon Filter, can't say anything about it, though I doubt it'll add anything to your pretty much already failed argument you've made. Sorry =)

Various random errors in this post aside, a lot of what Sony brought in presentation and storytelling just wasn't technically possible on other consoles due to memeory issues, there were very few exceptions in games on the N64 and very very few before that on other consoles.  Sony did it with massive amounts of games on its platform and broke out to appeal to people who didn't play games before.

Lol Mai thinks he knows all about old franchises yet Tomb raider was an N64 game first. Also out of all the series he mention that were on earlier 2D consols how come its the games that started on the Sony platform people reckonize as the first? Because Sony Legitimized gaming as a form of entertainment.

lol.  So much revisionist history, it's making my head spin!

Okay, basically PS1 sold roughly about as much as NES did in the US and Japan.  Sony's real inroads into driving their userbase (and the console market in general) was in Europe, and there they largely cannibalized Europe's established and diverse computer gaming industry anyway (R.I.P. Amiga, Spectrum, Commodore, etc).

The truth of the matter is, Nintendo's always brought more legitimately new gamers into the industry than Sony has.  They've traditionally done this by bringing in kids for the first time with Super Mario Bros. or Pokemon, but this generation saw them working from other ends and bringing in women, seniors and other traditional "non-gamer" segments. What Sony did (in the US/JP at least) was take a page from Sega's playbook, and upmarket their platform to the aging base Nintendo helped build in.  In essence Sony's market was less "new" than it was courted and aging... most people came into gaming with Nintendo though, even if more people chose PlayStation in the late 90s.

"Mainstream" is really in the eye of the beholder.  I'd say gaming pre-Wii/DS/iPhone was still largely seen as an expensive, infantile hobby for teenagers, social reclusives and manchilden.  Adults still played Atari 2600 or the Famicom though too... I'd argue what Sony did was more continue the course and natural evolution of the industry (which itself, was naturally aging) rather than really making some dramatic and unique "first" in terms of legitimizing the medium within popular culture or to people not already indoctrinated as gamers.  

Tomb Raider was a Saturn game first you troglodytes!

Meh.. I still think the gameboy did a much better job for all people to accept gaming as a form of entertaining..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)