By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Alan Wake or Red Dead Redemption?

Finally got some time to play videogames (finished my degree!). I bought new UFC game and i got some money left for one more 360 (also bought Super Mario Galaxy 2 for the Wii) game but i cannot decide beetween Alan Wake or the new Rockstar game.

While i think i will enjoy Alan Wake a bit more , because of the setting and the game being a psychological thriller. I also think Red Dead would be a blast (even tho i was a bit dissapointed with GTA IV) and an extremely fun game.

I will get second game eventually, once i make some money , but at the moment i need to decide beetween the two, any suggestions? and which game did you prefer and why?

Around the Network

It depends on what type of game you like more. Red Dead Redemption is great fun. I can't speak for Alan Wake.

Haven't played Alan Wake but I hear its really short between 8-10 hours. Since its a just a single player game you should probably consider renting this...

Read Dead Redemption takes 25-30 hours to 100% the single player story and then you have the multiplayer to keep you busy for a while after that and the new free DLC "Outlaws to the End" co-op missions for up to 4 players.  There's probably more DLC to come.

Edit: Just thinking about Alan Wake again and I read they have at least two 90 minute episodes of DLC coming soon. The first episode called "The Signal" releases July 27th. In that case you probably want to buy the game so you don't have to keep renting it to play the new DLC.

And if you buy a new copy of Alan Wake you get a token for a code to download the first DLC for free.

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/remedy-project-next-gen-title/1090875p1.html

Owning both and having played both from start to finish. Plus having had adequate time to ruminate on the matter. I can see your dilema. That said the question isn't so much a question of quality as it is a question of quantity.

Alan Wake is a good game, but you are looking at a fifteen hour play through. Further more the game is fairly linear. So if you are really an achievement whore then you are looking at forty or fifty hours max before you exhaust the game totally. That said you will probably find this game at a good value in a few months after the next two expansions have come out for the game. Either used or on sale.

Red Dead Redemption is a completely different beast. Your looking at a twenty five hour main story line, but it will probably take you longer doing the side quests. Your probably looking at forty to fifty hours straight up, and a hundred or so hours if your an achievement whore. Further more the game has solid mini games included, and offers online play. That can get you another dozen hours or so easily enough. That said this game isn't going into a bargain bin any time soon. That said it isn't just GTA on horses. Sure the old GTA dynamic is there, but on the other side of the equation there is robust role playing aspect to the game. You can spend hours just hunting, foraging, and doing randomly generated missions. So you don't necessarily have to play it GTA style.

Alan Wake is a great game, but its design limits its value. While Red Dead is well ahead of the value curve. You will probably do better by paying sixty dollars for a game that will easily give you a hundred hours. Then a game that will only give you fifty if you really drag things out. Good for you that you plan to get both regardless. Both are really good games.

Around the Network

I'd say RDR.  I found it more fun with more 'bang for your buck' as it where and overall the bestter game.  Alan Wake is good, too, but somewhat sub Silent Hill at its best in the final analysis and somewhat lacking in variety.  IMHO of course.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Red Dead Redemption

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Having played both I will say Red Dead Redemption every day. Everyday. Urrydy.

It is a more fulfilling experience in many ways. My favorite GTA game.

Red Dead Redemption all the way.

I too disliked much about GTA4 but I absolutely LOVED Red Dead Redemption.There is so much to do and it will keep you busy much much longer than Alan Wake will.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Buy Red Dead, play it and enjoy it until the Alan Wake DLC comes out, and then buy Alan Wake.

Both are great games and you really can't go wrong with either choice.