By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Laptop Suggestions based on these requirements! HELP!

I know these threads are done alot, but here goes...

I need a PC laptop with these minimum requirements:

1.8Ghz dual core processor

2GB RAM (actually 1GB is reqired, but 2GB is highly suggested)

CD/DVD optical drive

120 GB hard drive

wireless B/G

10/100 Ethernet port

Minimum 13'' screen

Those are the absolute necessities.  My max to spend is about $2200.  Also tablet functionality is a plus, but not needed.

Thanks in advance, I know it's a hassle lol.

These are the minimum, but really I want a great laptop, and my max is $2200.  Go nuts!

Around the Network

Those minimum specs could probably be found in a ~$500 or under laptop.

Buy a Thinkpad, it will last you forever. Preferably a T400 model, because of the 16:10 screen ration, but anything from the T Series up is IBM designed and engineered quality. DO NOT buy anything cheaper than the T Series.

There is also a tablet model btw.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Well feel free to bump up the specs if ya want.  More than anything I want to be pointed in the direction of a good laptop that has greater specs than that.  A really good one perhaps with a bigger screen, but not one of those tanks that are like 30 pounds with a 25" screen lmao (obvious exaggeration).

P.S. I don't know specs well enough to associate them with a price, but I need a laptop for med school and I'd like it to be rather....well, awesome.  Come to think of it, battery is important too lol.

The Thinkpads are incredibly light, and theyre also very adaptable, with almost EVERYTHING being replacable. You can do this yourself with minimum knowledge. Things like rollcage protection and accelorometer protected hard drive are the reasons i got it.

Try the T500 then, for a bigger screen, but its def. a work laptop, not a game laptop.

T Series also has SWITCHABLE GRAPHICS, which means its got 2 graphics cards, so you can boost power when you need it or save battery life when you don't.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

Wow, the T500 looks like a solid choice, thanks alot!  The only cons according to the following review seem to be the audio and the keyboard.  I dunno if you know from experience, but can you speak on those two points?  I'll keep shopping around but I'll definitely keep this in mind, thanks bud.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4565

Audio is fine, ive had no problems with it, but im not a laptop reviewer so if i told you it sounded tinny that prob. shouldn't surprise you much, especially considering it is a laptop. Again, i dk the difference really.

Keyboard is sweet. Theres alot of weird complaints about keyboard flex and the thinner plastic casing, especially on earlier models of the T400/500 series, but i haven't noticed any problems with typing on it. Im using it every day.

Cool. And sorry to bother, but some people say that the tech support is meh and the wireless internet can be finnicky.  Do you think so?

^in my experience they were fine customer service, and i actually use ethernet so i have not tried wireless.

But given that MOST business people either use Macbook Pros or T Series Thinkpads you would think they would have pretty good tech. Remember most of the insides are replacable, so getting a different ethernet card, or whatever you need for it should be easy. Def. look around on notebookreview.com and see what others are saying about it.

Why don't you go into Best Buy and pick one? Its much better for you to have a look and try them out on display than to take anyones word on it especially when your needs are so basic.

Tease.