By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Ubisoft DRM

Zlejedi said:
Galaki said:
zarx said:
blunty51 said:

A Torrent system should be somehow implemented for consoles. That way everybody will eventually suffer this! Equal opportunity for everyone.

people already pirate 360 and Wii games and stuff like this will be making there way to consoles soon. It's only a matter of time until you have to tie your game to your online profile (XBL PSN etc) to play online, now you can't say I didn't warn you.

That's no reason to punish their customers.

I bought a lot of Ubisoft games. I will simply stop buying their games if they bring this to the Wii, too.

Of course it's not a reason. Everyone knows the real reason is killing second hand market and making sure you can't even borrow your game to your friend.

yup that's the real reason, they know that far less than a tenth of people that pirate games would buy it if they couldn't pirate it. But someone willing to buy second hand at a $5 discount more than likely would. They are just trialling it on PC as they know PC gamers are more used to DRM and worth less to them, plus they can use piracy as an excuse. Other publishers are trialling other measures like EA's online pass.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

So should there be a list of companys to avoid? :)

Pellefant said:

I don't know if you should avoid companies, except maybe Onlive since their whole business model runs around taking away control of the game's software from the users.

You should definitely avoid any games that implement this draconian DRM though...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Pellefant said:

I don't know if you should avoid companies, except maybe Onlive since their whole business model runs around taking away control of the game's software from the users.

You should definitely avoid any games that implement this draconian DRM though...

Well, I for me the main problem with on-live services is that is a model that would only be efficient in main urban areas, but if there are enough servers it could actually help fighting piracy in a good way. One of the main reasons for piracy, speacially in poor countrys, is the high cost per game, that sometimes cannot be afforded because of the high cost that represent keeping an up to date computer. But taking away the control over software and hardware from the end user could take away many of the things that we love from game, e.g. mods.

<The Knight of The Doomeds>

dahuman said:

I will prolly just stop buying their games.

Way ahead of you bro!

Around the Network

What concerns me more than the DRM right now, is whether I will be able to play these games in 10 or 20 years. I just cracked out Fallout 1 again, and while Interplay seems to have be "reborn" they also seem to be a totally different group of people. If FO1 used this kind of bullshit DRM I highly doubt it would be playable today at all without a crack. I own literally hundreds of PC titles from dead companies across the Amiga to Mac to Windows, if they had used tech like this back then these games would likely be lost to me forever. I realize we live in a disposable society and most titles are 1 play at most, but that is more a reflection on the shitty  manchild orientation of the industry than it is of anything. If somebody enjoys any game they buy they deserve to have access to it forever.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256