By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New model for On-line content on 3DS ? Iwata says so..

Wii has Wii Ware and Virtual Console. DSi has DSi Ware. So what will 3DS have?

Nintendo hasn't shared specifics, but CEO Satoru Iwata did give a few hints during an investors briefing held in Los Angeles during E3.

While refusing to share details, Iwata said, "Of course, with a device like Nintendo 3DS, we do intend to offer some type of digital distribution."

He hinted that a 3DS downloads service would see some differences from past offerings. "Up until now, much of the digital distribution focus has been on more of a 'pull type' where the consumer goes out, gets the content and pulls it to themselves. With Nintendo 3DS, we’re looking at a model that would be more focused around the 'push type,' where we’re able to push information or content out to the device."

By "pull," Iwata is referring to consumers having to request the download content -- like pressing a button to get your mail program to check your e-mail for you. "Push" means the server will send content directly to the system, which will alert you when new content is available.

The reason for going with this "push" type of system, explained Iwata, is that Nintendo feels that without doing this, it will be difficult to reach out beyond an audience that actively seeks out download content. He's mentioned a similar issue in past investor briefings discussing the performance of current download services.

He also added, "Ideally, if it is possible, we would like to try and find ways to customize that functionality as much as possible to meet our consumers’ tastes."

So 3DS Ware? Virtual 3D Console? Something else? Or maybe a little bit of all three? We'll have to wait for Nintendo to share further 3DS details.

You can read more from the Q&A session at Nintendo's investor relations page.

-From andriasang.

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

Around the Network

so the 3DS will have advertisment instead of the ninteno channel.  not really big news but it should help the wii ware-esque developers.

All we need to know is if it has unified accounts or not, and that's the one thing we won't know until the imminently first Japanese launch.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.