By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - VGC Official KILLZONE 3 Thread

Working on the clan thread now.  Will post when it's up.  It won't be as flashy as the Killzone 2 thread, though.

Edit:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=124920

Around the Network

Here is a Dutch video with a tour of Guerrilla's brand new studio in Amsterdam.

They had a picture board with Guerrilla's new IP.

Basically it is about:

Chuck Norris

Dinosaurs

Women on Robotdinosaurs

Lasertities

http://www.gamekings.tv/videos/special-guerrilla-games-studiotour/

Why have things been so subdued this past week.  Like half the number of people on my friends that got Killzone 3 have gotten Killzone 3.  BoilerMaker,  bbsin, forevercloud, blazinhead, and a bunch of others all haven't gotten it, when they all had KZ2 day one.  And of the people I know in real life that got excited over the beta, only one has actually gotten the game so far.

And then there's the absolutely dead clan thread...

*sigh*

I'm beginning to doubt this game will do better than Killzone 2, crazy advertising and fixed controls or not.  -_-

I don't have the time to invest like I did with Killzone 2 (though that was an awesome time).

I'm renting it for the weekend, but I'm really on the fence on buying it for full price at the moment.

makingmusic476 said:

Why have things been so subdued this past week.  Like half the number of people on my friends that got Killzone 3 have gotten Killzone 3.  BoilerMaker,  bbsin, forevercloud, blazinhead, and a bunch of others all haven't gotten it, when they all had KZ2 day one.  And of the people I know in real life that got excited over the beta, only one has actually gotten the game so far.

*sigh*

I'm beginning to doubt this game will do better than Killzone 2, crazy advertising and fixed controls or not.  -_-

Doesn't help when so many reviewers targeted the storyline for the basis of their review and opted to speak very little about the multiplayer.

This game will need word of mouth I think. The press sure isn't doing it any favors.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
makingmusic476 said:

*sigh*

Doesn't help when so many reviewers targeted the storyline for the basis of their review and opted to speak very little about the multiplayer.

This game will need word of mouth I think. The press sure isn't doing it any favors.

It's hard out here for a sony exclusive

Okay so I just completed Killzone 3 a few hours ago and I'm a little dissapointed by the singleplayer. 

Frankly I never felt like I was pulled into the story nor could I give a darn about most (or perhaps any) of the characters. They never really felt like they were fleshed out and none of the Helghast characters come close to the mood set by Visari. There was maybe a few points in the game where I was interested in seeing the ISA's survival, one being the the jungle level.

What's worse is that the jumping back and forth from directly after Killzone 2 to 6 months after that in the first half of the game makes it hard to get into the story. I'm also wondering the whole point to the whole '6 months' thing anyway. I'm thinking they used the '6 months later' setting to give continuity to the new redesigns for ISA characters returning from Killzone 2. Speaking of Killzone 2, I remember the story flowing a little better and I recall the theme of a massive invasion made the ambiance of the levels feel a little more intense while you had to wait till the later half of Killzone 3 to get to the really intense level atmospheres.

The ending (and probably numerous action sequences) felt rushed too which seems to be something that a lot of first person shooters seem to have in common and that's a shame. I don't want Kojima's spew of exposition, but it's like many games can't seem to nail the pacing of events.

---

As for multiplayer. I've already covered numerous points during the multiplayer beta. Mainly I think I'm torn. I enjoyed Killzone 2 and put a lot of time in the multiplayer and it was more unique while it's like Killzone 3 seems to have conceeded to providing a little more of a Call of Duty experience (which is a series I've grown rather tired of).

I get some changes like improved aiming and removal of spawn grenades (for the cluster fuck factor) for example, but stuff like the matchmaking, kill-streak perks, removal of players/squad play, lower health/spring, overuse of brutal melee and other differences bug me. 

cancelled my pre order... the beta just felt far too generic...and i'd only played for a few hours and already unlocked everything i wanted...sad cos they fixed some issues with KZ2 but it's lost its originality and just plays like another COD copy

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

TT Makaveli said:

I got a question for the US people here...did you see some advertising by now? I looked at the pre-order charts and was not really pleased with it...i thought Sony would do something for one of their biggest games in 2011...do you think it will still come or will Sony bash theirselves again marketing-wise?

I started seeing the Kevin Butler commercials last monday. Which was the day before the game came out I believe.

I just finished the story mode, and it was a lot better than I expected it to be, given all the reviews. I usually get annoyed very quickly at cheesy banter and asinine plot points (don't get me started on FFXIII), but it all seemed to flow pretty well, if you're able to look past the ludicrousness of the overall plot. On the whole I really enjoyed it, though the end was stupid.  Everything from the jungle to the space elevator was pure, unadulterated awesome.

Overall, the game does a lot of things better than Killzone 2, but it also does many things worse and/or removes features entirely, so I'd be hard pressed to say whether it's the better game or not.

It definitely lacked polish compared to the last game, and I think an extra six months to a year would've both tightened up the experience considerably, and allowed them to implement many of those mysteriously absent features (proximity chat in multiplayer, online co-op).

I will say that I loved the new controls, and the basic gameplay (shooting brutal melees) is as good as you can get in a console shooter.  Actually, I think for that reason alone I'd put this over its predecessor.

Short list off the top of my head of improvements over Killzone 2:

• Much improved textural and polygon detail
  • Better post processing effects
  • Switching QAA for MLAA, providing a cleaner look compared to the somewhat blurry KZ2
  • Tighter controls (they're really spot on, imo)
  • Improved sound design for the weapons - and I thought the weapons sounded great last time!  Between the sound and the controls, this game plays so damn well
  • Brutal melees
  • Slightly improved AI - They'll go prone more often and play tricks with you when behind cover
  • Much larger environments with the occasional branching path or sandbox design
  • The game actually has a story!  And it's kinda enjoyable.
  • Jorhan Stahl is a badass.  Truly the star of the game.
  • Co-op
  • Revamped class system in multiplayer
  • Operations
  • Matchmaking - Some people like it, and it can't hurt to have it!

Short list of downgrades from Killzone 2 or things that just weren't good or didn't make sense:

• Way more pop-in - could've been fixed with more time
  • MLAA implementation causes more jaggiez than seen in KZ2 and other MLAA titles - could've been fixed with time
  • Lots of random graphical bugs, and even a glitch where Rico completely disappeared! - more time!
  • Transition to and from cutscenes is weird.  Why must it always fade to black?  Uncharted 2 handles this much better.
  • No online co-op??
  • Custom games having to be patched in post-launch?
  • Along with this is the complete removal of all basic options in multiplayer.  We went from having friendly fire on by default in the KZ2 beta, to off when KZ2 hit retail, to not being an option at all in KZ3.  SMH.
  • No proximity chat in multiplayer?
  • The complete gutting of the clan system?  I can't even add officers right now!  Supposedly that's being patched in, but betting is gone for good.

The game definitely could've used an extra six months to a year in development time.  It's a great game as it stands, but that extra time would've allowed them to tweak things like pop-in, jaggiez, bugs, and cutscenes, while also allowing them to add in features like online co-op and proximity chat.

Edit:

Totally forgot about the music!  It's the best in the series so far, and it really helps to set the mood of certain battles.  Probably the best original score for any Sony game save Shadow of the Colossus.