By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Lefties and the 3DS

darklich13 said:
Maneco said:

O_O

Attack of the Lefties! Now it's time to point out that the world's most greatest genius are left-handed: da Vinci, Einstein, Hendrix, McCartney and me!

Just kidding. Some games are designed pretty well from left-handed, but sometimes, developers forget that some features are difficult for lefties to use them. For instance, the racing mini-game against Dedede in Kirby: Canvas Curse is impossible for left-handed people, as your hand blocks your view on Kirby and makes it more difficult to control.

But I confess I was a bit worried when I say the Slide Pad, but probably on these cases, the ABXY buttons will do its job (although that might not fit as perfectly as the pad) for left-handed.

I agree 100% with you on this. Some games do a great job of conforming to left handed playing. Zelda for instance moves the menus to the opposite side of the screen so it is easier to reach with the left hand and your hand dosne't block the screen when selecting.

HOW COULD I BE SO IGNORANT?! I saw that video again, and confirmed Miyamoto is indeed left-handed! ANOTHER GENIUS IS ADDED TO THE LIST!!! But, then, why he used a right-handed Link at the demo this year? He could easily use a left-handed one stating you could change Link's hand in the game.

Now, that makes me worried... Please don't screw this up, Miyamoto! You're just like us, I'm sure you'll see we'll have trouble if you don't add a left-handed Link to the game!

Maneco's Hall of Lame
As of October 2010 and, hopefully, until the end of times

Notable Mentions (a.k.a. "Games I Played and Hated")

The Legend of Zelda:
Ocarina of Time

Pokémon Channel

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:
darklich13 said:
Onyxmeth said:
darklich13 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
darklich13 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

This isn't anything new, since most DS games with traditional controls don't accomodate left-handed people anyway.

Not true at all.  There isn't one DS game that I have played that does not force you to use your right hand to operate the stylis.  With the 3DS you are going to be forced to write right handed if you want to use the analog stick.

Did you miss the bolded part?

I think you are missing my point. Most games are not a problem. But some game controls have you use the stylis and the D-pad at the same time.  This is not a problem on the DS since you can use the XYAB button instead of the d-pad.  But now the 3DS has an analog stick on the left side and there is no way to mimic this operation for left handed people.  Again, traditional controls are not the problem.

That has always been a problem. I'm a lefty myself, and using the face buttons instead of the D-Pad is horrid, and is unplayable as far as I'm concerned. They are not an acceptable replacement for the D-Pad, but if you're already cool with taking that dive down in quality control, then using the face buttons on the DS instead of the analog will feel right up your alley. I decided just to use the stylus in my right hand and continue to use the D-Pad.

While not as comfortable as the D-pad, I've never had that much of a problem substituting the XYAB buttons for the d-pad.  While I can also use my right hand to write I prefer using my left because it is more comfortable and I have greater precision then with my left hand. But now I am going to be forced to use my right hand to use the stylis if I want to enjoy the analog control.

No you won't. They'll do the same thing they did before, substitute analog play for the face buttons. Since you were fine with it previously, it should be of little difference to you. It's merely an upgrade for those of us using our left hands on the controls and our right hands on the stylus. Your experience is unchanged.

I realize that, but now if I want analog control I HAVE to use the stylis in my right hand.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

darklich13 said:
Onyxmeth said:

No you won't. They'll do the same thing they did before, substitute analog play for the face buttons. Since you were fine with it previously, it should be of little difference to you. It's merely an upgrade for those of us using our left hands on the controls and our right hands on the stylus. Your experience is unchanged.

I realize that, but now if I want analog control I HAVE to use the stylis in my right hand.

...and if you wanted D-Pad control you HAD to use the stylus in your right hand. It's the same thing. There's no disadvantage with the 3DS you didn't already have with the previous models. If you want to experience a better level of control, whether that be the D-Pad or the Analog thing, then start practicing using the stylus in your right hand.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

The only genre I can see this maybe being an issue for is FPS, and I can't see myself getting too many FPS on the 3DS. Metroid Prime Hunters was really the only game that I got for DS that could be a little worse for lefties like myself, but the game was not that good anyway.

I don't mind a game now and then where I have to move with the buttons.

badgenome said:
andremop said:

Well, you going to have to buy a Lynx

(j/k - I don't know the solution for your problem)

Fixed.

Aww, it's so cute! I'm a sucker for baby animals.

Anyway, I guess left-handed people will have to sue the game developers if they don't give an control option for left-handers. This is discrimination!!!

Also, thanks for the picture in the first post! That's exactly what I was looking for!

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Around the Network

Maneco said: O_O Attack of the Lefties! Now it's time to point out that the world's most greatest genius are left-handed: da Vinci, Einstein, Hendrix, McCartney and me! Just kidding. Some games are designed pretty well from left-handed, but sometimes, developers forget that some features are difficult for lefties to use them. For instance, the racing mini-game against Dedede in Kirby: Canvas Curse is impossible for left-handed people, as your hand blocks your view on Kirby and makes it more difficult to control. But I confess I was a bit worried when I say the Slide Pad, but probably on these cases, the ABXY buttons will do its job (although that might not fit as perfectly as the pad) for left-handed. As far as I remember, I've never heard Miyamoto was left-handed (otherwise I'd always remember this fact in this kind of discussion). But I think that, on that E3, he used the Master Sword on his left hand to pose as Link when first appearing at the conference, and quickly switching places right after (it was clearly obvious that the moves with the sword felt "heavy", difficult to do, typical for those who aren't acquainted to use it, as a right-handed person).

Link is left handed because Miyamoto is left handed. The character is based on his child-hood adventures.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:

Maneco said: O_O Attack of the Lefties! Now it's time to point out that the world's most greatest genius are left-handed: da Vinci, Einstein, Hendrix, McCartney and me! Just kidding. Some games are designed pretty well from left-handed, but sometimes, developers forget that some features are difficult for lefties to use them. For instance, the racing mini-game against Dedede in Kirby: Canvas Curse is impossible for left-handed people, as your hand blocks your view on Kirby and makes it more difficult to control. But I confess I was a bit worried when I say the Slide Pad, but probably on these cases, the ABXY buttons will do its job (although that might not fit as perfectly as the pad) for left-handed. As far as I remember, I've never heard Miyamoto was left-handed (otherwise I'd always remember this fact in this kind of discussion). But I think that, on that E3, he used the Master Sword on his left hand to pose as Link when first appearing at the conference, and quickly switching places right after (it was clearly obvious that the moves with the sword felt "heavy", difficult to do, typical for those who aren't acquainted to use it, as a right-handed person). Link is left handed because Miyamoto is left handed. The character is based on his child-hood adventures.

I would have liked to see two analog sticks like the 360 and PS3 have and then slide the XYAB buttons to where the power button currently is. 

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

At least you lefties can use the analog stick well!

We righties can't.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you