By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PSP2 Graphics: Expecting Too Much?

PSP2 Graphics: Expecting Too Much?

PSP2 will have HD Graphics (PSP2 = PS3) 19 15.57%

PSP2 will have HDish Graphics (PSP2 < PS3) 47 38.52%

PSP2 will have 3DS-like Graphics (PSP2 > 3DS) 18 14.75%

PSP2 will have 3DS-like Graphics (PSP2 = 3DS) 7 5.74%

Graphics won't Matter / ... 4 3.28%

PSP2 won't ever Truly Exist 27 22.13%

Total:122
sc94597 said:
DingoEgret said:

i saw in the Digital Foundry blog,that 3DS graphics are on the level of dreamcast

it wont be difficult that if ever exist psp2 to surpass it

I doubt it. The PSP already bests the Dreamcast in many areas, and the 3ds should be a decent amount better than the PSP, from what we've seen so far. 

"That being the case, to compare 3DS with Wii, or even GameCube, in terms of graphical quality based on this beautiful demo probably doesn't do the home console justice. The best demos we see based on actual game assets are of Dreamcast quality."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-nintendo-3ds?page=2

Use power for the right things. At least for the things that you believe in.

Around the Network

The PSP2 doesn't exist.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

The psp was a step or two below ps2 so I'm expecting the psp2 to be a step or two below the ps3 but definitely stronger than the 3ds.

I don't know if there is going to be a psp2 at this point though.

DingoEgret said:
sc94597 said:
DingoEgret said:

i saw in the Digital Foundry blog,that 3DS graphics are on the level of dreamcast

it wont be difficult that if ever exist psp2 to surpass it

I doubt it. The PSP already bests the Dreamcast in many areas, and the 3ds should be a decent amount better than the PSP, from what we've seen so far. 

"That being the case, to compare 3DS with Wii, or even GameCube, in terms of graphical quality based on this beautiful demo probably doesn't do the home console justice. The best demos we see based on actual game assets are of Dreamcast quality."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-nintendo-3ds?page=2

These graphics look par with gamecube games (if not better to me).  And these are just E3 demos. Nintendo still has not reveal the graphic specs. By the time these games release they will probable put most wii games to shame.

To be honest I don't know.  Sony has to be careful with the PSP2, I can already see Nintendo attracting quite a few PSP fans to the 3DS fold given that they have a more feature full system with some decent tech in it.  Furthermore the 3DS has the kind of software support from the get-go that the DS only dreamed of.

The questions is what can the PSP2 do to differentiate itself from the 3DS.  I've not sure that better graphics and a sleaker case are going to be sufficient this time.  Also given the software support that the 3DS already has, do Sony really want to blow by the 3DS's specs and risk having developers snub them because they don't want to code two versions of their game for hardware that is significantly different.

I think the PSP2 is between a rock and a hard place.  If it's too different from the 3DS and it could endanger developer support, too similar and it could endanger consumer support given the awesome strength of the DS brand.

Around the Network

A HD, touchscreen, 3D, with full controls and BC PSP would be awesome, but it would probably bankrupt Sony. I'm expecting a better resolution rather than real HD.

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*
Christian973 said:

The PSP2 doesn't exist.

No shit sherlock (jk :P)

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits

Regardless of the processing power in future handheld systems, I have significant doubts that many games (that are not ports of console games) will ever be released for these portables that produce dramatically better graphics than we have seen on the PSP or Nintendo 3DS. The two main considerations I see are cost (making a $20 to $40 Million handheld game seems like a bad business decision) and the extra detail is unimportant because the screen is so small. While this may not be the best analogy, playing videogames on a portable system is kind-of like playing a home console game on a 20 inch TV from 6 feet away; and I would challenge anyone to do that and really see the finer details that come from HD console games.