By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect at Good Morning America

It is rather odd to see the different marketing approaches from Microsoft and Sony concerning their products. This Good Morning America stunt reminds me of when Nintendo advertised Wii Fit on the Ellen Degeneres show.

Around the Network

Again I am having a different view than most people.

Kinect to me is wonderful...as a media interface device. That thing can do a lot of cool stuff for me while navigating xbox, tlaking to freinds and watching movies.

Games wise I also think its spot on for what they are going for. All Kinect games only work with kinect and can not be played with a 360 controller. They are all games that I do not want to play with a 360 controller. Easy to pick up, casual games which will give plenty of WTF moments while me and my friends are taking a breather from owning in Halo Reach.

MS are not mixing experiences...Kinect does what it does and games that are on it will utilize it or GTFO. If you want to play a shooter or an action game, you get to play with the best controller in the industry, 360 pad.

Wii for one had some absolute hits and great uses for the tech. However there are a lot of games on that system which implement the waggle controls just for the sake of having waggle. I realized this when I started using a 360 pad for some Wii games on a PC emulator. Like almost half of the titles are way more enjoyable to me with normal controls. 

I don't think Kinect will have this problem...

As mentioned earlier, that was far from a PR disaster.  Actually it's quite the opposite.  She seemed to be having a blast playing it.  Free advertising on national tv, Microsoft has to love it.  The manistream media is eating up Kinect.    No different than when the Wii was first shown.  Mainstream media loved it, gaming community was skeptical.  Good thing Nintendo listened to the gaming community. LOL

Exercise, dancing, and talking to animal games don't interest me much. But there is a large audiance for such games.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

This was far from a disaster for MS.  A nice PR piece aimed squarely at those that MS created the launch software for.