By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Even at $600 the Wii is a must-have gift this season

By Yi-Wyn Yen

If you can’t track down a Nintendo Wii this holiday season, you’re not alone. Nintendo has not been able to keep up with the demand for its mega-hit console. Now thousands of desperate consumers who can’t find the Wii on store shelves have turned to web outlets like Amazon (AMZN) and eBay (EBAY), where they’re paying a premium to get one.

“We’re seeing an unprecedented demand for a console,” says Billy Pidgeon, a gaming analyst with IDC Research. “This is the killer gift this season. And if you’re lucky enough to get a Wii with Guitar Hero III, that would be the ultimate.”

The Wii’s popularity and shortage has not only made it harder to find, but also more expensive to buy than the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. Since Black Friday, almost 5,000 Wiis were sold at an average price of $420.50 on eBay and some with extra games and controllers have been purchased for more than $600. On Amazon, new Wiis are starting at $490 plus shipping. The console retails for $250. Both Microsoft (MSFT) and Sony (SNE) dropped prices for their consoles to boost sales this year. Microsoft lowered its entry-level 360 by $50 to $349 while the PS3’s low-end line retails for $399.

“Price alone won’t move hardware,” says John Taylor of Arcadia Research. “This isn’t about price or what’s available, but what people are willing to play.”

The Wii’s fun factor has made it a hit among the mass market compared to its more technologically-advanced rivals. The Wii uses a controller that requires players to simulate swings and punches to play video games. “Clearly, consumers place a higher value on accessible, fun games such as Wii Sports or Carnival than on high-definition graphics and leading-edge processing power,” says Lazard Capital analyst Colin Sebastian.

Though Nintendo increased production by 80 percent since its November 2006 launch, executives warned in October to expect a holiday shortage. Last week the company sold 350,000 Wiis, which gave Nintendo its highest one-week U.S. sales total since the console was released. Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime said that the company would not be able to keep up with demand until “early next year.”

“The challenge is in demand, not supply,” Fils-Aime told Fortune in October. “We planned optimistically for the launch, but no one could have foreseen how much more popular Wii would be than any other system in memory.”

Taylor says the best way to find a Wii without paying above retail is to contact store managers at gaming shops like GameStop (GME) or box retailers like Wal-Mart (WMT) and Best Buy (BBY) early in the week. “You want to call on a Tuesday or Wednesday and find out when the new Wiis are coming in,” he says. “Usually new games arrive on the trucks Monday night or Tuesday. If you wait to the weekend, you’ll find those shelves empty.”

http://techland.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2007/11/30/even-at-600-the-wii-is-a-must-have-gift-this-season/

Around the Network

I'd just get my kid an "iou a wii" coupon. Screw paying $200 extra.

Soriku said:
Personally, I'm hoping this stuff makes people stop saying "wii 0nly $311$ w311 c@$U3 0f it$ price lalwz."

Agree

Shissy said:

Agreed. Then just get him something else cheap to tide him over until the Wii can be found at a store.

SW-5120-1900-6153

in absolutely no condition is the wii "worth" $600

Does anyone who had a PS2 or original Xbox- only have a Wii, and not a PS3 or 360?
(I am sure there are many), but for those of you that fall into this category- do you want more?

I understand only having a Wii- but not if you have previously owned consoles with first and second party developer support from sony and/or microsoft.

I suppose the argument could be reversed however.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Around the Network

Even if the Wii, 360 and PS3 were the same price i'd put money on the Wii outselling the rest at this point.

I mean look at how many people pay more for Ipods... and they don't even have exclusives.

Still... IOU for the kid while giving him something smaller to still simulate the "magic" of Santaclause makes way more sense then spending an extra 200.

It's not hard finding a Wii at retail anymore. It was only hard at the beginning.

Shissy said:
seriously for $200 you could buy a ds and a few games

If it gets to a point where peole can't get their hands on the wii then I think many will opt for one of the other two consoles. Nintendo needs to ramp up production quickly or have they already peaked?? They may have to open up more wii factories hehe.

The Wii is selling better at my Costco than at anytime except the 1st day we sold it. We had almost a whole pallet of Wii bundles (Wii, Wii Sports, Big Brain game, extra Wiimote) and they sold out within two hours. I was shocked. We even sold out of Xbox 360. We still have almost a whole pallet of PS3 bundles and cannot move Guitar Hero III for PC to save our lives.

Strangely, we only sell 1 Wii game (except for the two games for $30 packs of shovelware). We sell 12-15 different Xbox 360 games.

About Guitar Hero III Wii and Wii Zapper, either the nearest Wal-Mart and Hastings are not selling them or are sold out.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com