By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What game review sites are credible now?

eugene said:
I dont know how they let it slip, but look at Lair. Its a horrid game and they reported accuately. But what if they were all bribed to give it a 9 and up? They would have sold a million copies of the crapiest game on earth. We look to these sites to look past the hype, not to advertise the game in the reviews.

Thats funny, the majority of reader reviews on IGN were giving it 7-9's at least. The problem with review sites is so many people are convinced by them; how pathetic do you have to be to change your mind about buying a game cause someone else says its rubbish/great. At the end of the day, its all subjective. 

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Around the Network

Its cause its a $60 investment and to alot of people, thats alot for one game. We need review sites to look past the hype to filter out games like Lair, Heavenly Sword, Perfect Dark Zero, etc.

Desroko said:
None.

Seconded.

Zero Punctuation.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Bladeneo said:
I dont trust IGN, not their PS3 reviews at least. I'm sick of seeing a PS3 game get .2 less than the 360 version for no apparant reason, not to mention their bullshit review of heavenly sword.

Although I don't trust every word on IGN or gamespot, I basically look at them for an overview of what I should expect; the actual review content is terrible.

most of the time the graphics arent as sharp or framerate isnt there.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

IGN and Gametrailers are alright for official reviews. Yahtzee seems to go beserk on everything but you know hes pretty accurate.
I feel that PA are usually right but I trust them less after they went on that rant about ubisoft and how all the other reviews are wrong and that AC is the second coming of christ.

IGN's still the best, and they're generally too big to bribe. :> I can't speak for the other systems but the Wii reviews are always nicely detailed and are actually written for a Wii owner trying to decide what game is worth a purchase rather than for some critical technophile interested in details that don't really affect the overall experience.

eugene said:
Seeing as how its obvious Gamespot (cnet) reviews are nothing but game publishers ads now. I feel Ign whose parent company is newscorp (Fox), has game reviews that are nothing more than game ads from publishers also. 1up.com has posted that SCEA gave gamespot tremendous heat for giving ratchet and clank a 7.5. Thats BS!

I'd like to see a forum for game reviews here on VGCharts.org

Don't just read the score, read the review. Gamer feedback may also help, although you still need to take in that individual's subjectivity into account and don't let a single review decide it for you. The only exception I can think of are for reviews that are either extremely detailed or contains a thorough video (if you don't mind getting spoiled a bit on the story)

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

I like GameTrailers and NintendoWorldReport, though the latter isn't very useful for 360 or PS3 games.