By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Investors to Microsoft: Drop the Xbox

The 360 has done several things right came out first, easy to develop for, xbox live, good controller, but they have severely dropped the ball on product integration. Xbox Live Gold members should get internet explorer web browsing, the ability to load material purchased at the zune store to be downloaded directly onto the 360. Would these changes increase sales who knows but I think they likely would have been easy to implement. Yet all the eggs are now in Natal's basket if it fails you might see an investor mutiny. 

Around the Network

Wow they've lost 8 billion since 1999? Maybe once the 360's life is up its time to get out of the console market.

Personally, as an actual investor in Microsoft, something needs to be done, but dropping the Xbox isn't it.

Garnett said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Garnett said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Garnett said:
Tanstalas said:
Mad55 said:

i agree very foolish investors are crazy ah well its all about the money. Though  i doubt they drop out of the console race  anytime soon.

Yeah, only lost 8 billion... crazy investors :P

Xbox is making money now, and with the Slim its gonna be making even more money.

not really that much more

slim will make profit for MS but they investing in exclusivity takes lot out too

also they will cut price too this fall so not that much

Profit is profit, and more profit is better.

MS hasnt bought any exclusives since GTA Liberty City stories, and who says the Xbox will get a price cut?

YOU think FF13 just came like that,MW2 extras came like that.XBLA games and other things come just like that

profit is profit but they need to make more to cover their loses cause this way its gonna take alot of time

The only thing MS might of paid for concering FF13 is free advertising.

XBL has what? Maybe a week or two headstart on the map packs? IW could be thankful that MS promots their game on the dashboard, so they get it a week or two early.

If Natal is a game changer, like MS hopes it will then im sure Xbox will stay in second place.

LMAO

FF13 going multiplat for free advertising on 360 and no advertising on console it would have sold even more through advertising was Square Enix's gift to MS according to you.........................lol

Activision one of the greediest publisher would give MS map pack for free and even though alot of their games profit more on PS3 because of more sales in costlier Europe..........ANOTHER lol

and XBL gets lots of stuff exclusive

if NATAL is a gamechanger then,we can say that about MOVE too

Garnett said:
FootballFan said:
Garnett said:
Tanstalas said:
Mad55 said:

i agree very foolish investors are crazy ah well its all about the money. Though  i doubt they drop out of the console race  anytime soon.

Yeah, only lost 8 billion... crazy investors :P

Xbox is making money now, and with the Slim its gonna be making even more money.

Confirmation link?

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/20346/Xbox-Division-Records-Second-Profitable-Year-in-a-Row/

"Microsoft released today its financial results for the fourth quarter and full fiscal year. Even if the Entertainment & Devices Division (which includes the Xbox, Zune, Windows-based PC and online games and services, Mediaroom and the Surface computing platform) saw its revenues down in the fourth quarter, the division recorded its second straight year of profitability and mostly thanks to the Xbox business."

Xbox 360 FTW!!!

that wont make up for the 8 billion in losses 

Around the Network

From a Sony consumers viewpoint, I'll prefer if M$ stay in the market, it is the super player who can throw money like nothing, which gives immense pressure on Sony to innovate.

1) Without its excellent Live service, PSN wont be free

2) Without it to money hatting every 3rd party 'timely' exclusive, Sony wont have a super 1st party line-up

3) Without its super cheap but featureless, no rechargeable battery, no wifi, no hardisk $199 Arcade, PS3 wont price drop to $299

Yeah, i wont buy a Xbox, but I dont mind it giving pressure to Sony so I can have better product at a cheaper price.

Phone 7, lets see you give some pressure to almighty Iphone there, so Mr. Jobs wont be so cocky.

Lastgengamer said:

I think doing this would be foolish especially after Microsoft has spent so much time and effort building the Xbox brand name.

Thoughts?

Little Accounting for you: Sunk cost are irrelevant to discussion as they do not change between alternatives.

Remember though folks, Microsoft is only here to stop Sony.

Lastgengamer said:

I think doing this would be foolish especially after Microsoft has spent so much time and effort building the Xbox brand name.

Thoughts?

I have a thought. It is in human psychology to continue to operate a sinking ship even when it will never make it to port. The reason for this is that human psychology hates to admit being wrong.  There have been more than enough business cases that just dropping a line will end up saving far more money that to admit to being wrong.

At 8 billion dollars. It's time to just let it go. Making a small profit on the 360 now as sold doesn't balance anything as we are going to be heading into the last stretch soon enough and the R&D and sales of the next console will just blow away what little money made back achieves.

This shouldn't be about. Let's want MS to keep the 360 because I like it. It should be about Investors not losing money because MS doesn't want to admit failure.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

tingyu said:

From a Sony consumers viewpoint, I'll prefer if M$ stay in the market, it is the super player who can throw money like nothing, which gives immense pressure on Sony to innovate.

1) Without its excellent Live service, PSN wont be free

2) Without it to money hatting every 3rd party 'timely' exclusive, Sony wont have a super 1st party line-up

3) Without its super cheap but featureless, no rechargeable battery, no wifi, no hardisk $199 Arcade, PS3 wont price drop to $299

Yeah, i wont buy a Xbox, but I dont mind it giving pressure to Sony so I can have better product at a cheaper price.

Phone 7, lets see you give some pressure to almighty Iphone there, so Mr. Jobs wont be so cocky.

agree on everything other than this

'PS3 wont price drop to $299" - this would have happened as if MS wasn't there,Nintendo would have had even higher market share and SONY does want that

A few people in this thread need a lesson on what sunk costs are.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.