By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will SMG2 outsell SMG in their respective lifetimes?

So far Super Mario Galaxy 2 is having better first week sales than Super Mario Galaxy, but will Super Mario Galaxy 2's legs keep up with Super Mario Galaxy's?

Personally I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 has a good chance; Super Mario Galaxy was released during the winter holidays and couldn't even do what Super Mario Galaxy 2 did in it's first week. With this coming winter holiday season Super Mario Galaxy 2 sales will pick up and the game will be set on course to outsell it's prequel.

What do you think?

Around the Network

No, Why? because direct sequals of nintendo games always do worse. Its like law nowadays

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

In most cases sequels don't sell more than the original. So although I do feel that Mario Galaxy 2 will sell good, it will probably not outsell the original Mario Galaxy.

i think it will, the reason being that the reviews this game has gotten have been extremely positive, i mean just try reading (or listening to) some reviews out right now, they praise the game so much, the words they use in describing are so beautiful, it makes you want the game SO badly

also, the game got a lot of perfect scores, the most influential ones besing the perfect scores it got from IGN and Gamespot; some of the most populat (if not THE most popular) gaming sites on the net today, as well the 10 from EDGE which is known to be a fairly harsh reviewer (generally)

also, look at the US & japanese opening so far, i know sequels are usually frontloaded but SMG2 has really done a great job in beating it's predecessor's first week by a lot, and the 'others' data still hasn't been added yet! which, i may add, is expected to be the biggest mario game launch ever (i read that here on VGChartz)

good luck Super Mario Galaxy TWO!!! :D

It released on 5x the userbase so a larger launch is to be expected. Also SMG did over a million the week before Cmas, which helped its totals. By Cmas SMG2 may or may not be the pushing out the door in mass.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

Chances are that no, no it will not.

well i hope so but most likely i do not think it will

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Yes it will. Like I've said, the Wii userbase now is far more than of 2007. Advertising is everywhere. Availabe in all languages. I've seen A LOT of super mario galaxy 2 commercial. This game will outsell SMG1 for sure.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

I will have to go with the word, no.

Former something....

I think it will... well at least I hope it will.

SMG did not sold what it deserved, so it's only fair the sequel reach the almight 10 million.