By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Official VGC World Cup Thread and Prediction League

FootballFan said:

I wasn't aware they came second in South America.

Why didn't Argentina play well? I thought it was always Argentina and Brazil who came first has second?

they have Maradonna as manager ..

well, to be fair he became the manager after Argentina lost to Chile 0-1

Around the Network

Does the ranking system base itself off recent history (5 years) or immediate history? (1 year)

I'm just finding it difficult to understand why Greece are 13th in the rankings, when they have struggled over the last few years and only just qualified for the World Cup. However, I would understand them being ranked there if it takes their victory in Euro 2004 because there team then was quite good.

Chile is 18th because in the recent history (last 4 years or so) they haven't lost many games, therefore it's well deserved...or maybe not, they should be higher. Greece is 13th because the rankings take into account a lot of years (I think they date till 2002 or so), of course older years have much less importance, thus that Euro gives them less points than, say, Spain's 2008 one.

Anyway, on the match, Chile had excellent generation, but it's clear they lacked a striker. Which will be solved in the next match when Suazo is fit to play. Alexis Sánchez is simply an outstanding player

Ready to watch Spain.

www.tranmererovers.co.uk

Currently playing: Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Red Steel.

Wii Friend Codes:

Smash Bros Brawl- 5284 2865 3565

Mario Kart Wii- 0216 0932 4306

Mario Strikers Charged- 034471 707985

Send me a message if you have added me.

FootballFan said:

How is it that a country ranked 18th in the world hasn't won a world cup game for 48 years?

Fifa rankings are a joke! I think I should have reconsidered by prediction that Chile would win

potential self facepalm/

Hmm? Chile has never won a world cup.

Around the Network

That wasn't even a foul, I hope Spain don't score from this.

I think Senderos forgot what team he was on.

Spain not playing well, I wonder if they'll get better in the 2nd half, otherwise...

DAmn... not even Spain O.o

Wow, biggest surprise so far. Spain didn't deserve to lose, but that's what you get when you miss that many chances against a team that knows its script

Spain are likely going to face Brazil next round now.