By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Dev: People Think PlayStation Home "Is ****"

PS3 Dev: People Think PlayStation Home "Is Sh*t"

Even PlayStation Home developers think that the service has a less than positive reputation.

It must feel pretty strange when you work hard on something that you know most people think is a piece of garbage. That's exactly the case with PlayStation Home content developer Veemee's Kirk Ewing, who fully acknowledges that the game space doesn't have the most favorable view amongst the gaming public.

Play.tm reports that at the last Game in Scotland event, Ewing admitted: "Most people think that Home is sh*t." Veemee is responsible for Home content such as the London Pub and the V-Store which sells many different kinds of Home apparel.

Ewing followed the statement with: "I'm here to say that it's not." Ewing also said that Home is set to leave the open beta phase it's been in for at least the past year-and-a-half in December, though what this exactly means for the service is unsure, and Sony has not confirmed the claim. His message on Home not being "sh*t" could possibly be referring to it as a platform for profit, rather than fun.

Waiting around in a virtual world to play a game of pool or to bowl wasn't exactly the type of experience I wrote home to mom about (my real home) when Home first launched. However, decorating one's house and experiencing some of the exclusive mini-games and content on the service has been entertaining, but still isn't enough to graft me to regular use personally. They always seem to be adding interesting sounding content, though.

Somebody must be into Home, as Ewing says that "one in three PlayStation 3 owners use Home" and "there are 1.7 million repeat users each using Home for around 53 minutes on average." I would think that anyone with a PS3 hooked up to the internet has tried Home as some point, explaining the first figure. The second figure can only be explained by the addiction people seem to have to virtual dancing and harassment of female avatars. Is Home sh*t like most people seem to think, or should it become a regular visit for more PS3 owners?

Source and Play.tm

Around the Network

its a free social service, that offers a fun gaming/social experience..

(Don't respond if you haven't been on home the past 2 months)

So I can understand why he says "IT IS NOT SHIT" despite what the article spins

mM

Ewing followed the statement with: "I'm here to say that it's not."

Such a compelling argument.

aww! , i was thinking hes going to go "People think PS Home is shit! , so we will try to change it ! "
i am disappoint!

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

very misleading......
im not a very big fan of home because id rather play games instead......doesnt mean its bad because i dont surf the internet or watch blu-ray for the same reason.......i'd rather be playing AAA games

Around the Network

home has changed, and evolved into an amazing experience..

mM

From what I played of it I disagree with him, its terrible & I don't see the point of it.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
From what I played of it I disagree with him, its terrible & I don't see the point of it.

its a free game where you pay for adverts!

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

As much as Im a Sony fan, I just want Home to die. I got a beautiful apartment, and I can walk around, to do what?

Give me Free Realms on PS3 NOW so I can kill monsters, cooking, mining, dancing, questing, and tons of other activities. And if can give my DC Universe without monthly charge too hoho, I dont mind paying 1 time purchase fee for the Blu-ray disc.

tingyu said:
As much as Im a Sony fan, I just want Home to die. I got a beautiful apartment, and I can walk around, to do what?

Give me Free Realms on PS3 NOW so I can kill monsters, cooking, mining, dancing, questing, and tons of other activities. And if can give my DC Universe without monthly charge too hoho, I dont mind paying 1 time purchase fee for the Blu-ray disc.

Yeah. I think that all the resources they've put to give us a free world, should have been put to give us a free world where we would actually have something to do.

They could have definetly pulled some kind of EverQuest spinoff, or even push EQ3 or something.

I mean, I find it much more enjoyable to be able to voice chat and do bad ass things in a video game with my online friends, than just text chat near a fountain, or over a game of bowling.

If I want to socialize, I'll use Skype, or, you know, go outside.