By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - It's finally happened. I have been enticed to buy a PS3.. Reccomendations?

Yep, hell has frozen over. I have always been somewhat of an outspoken PS3 critic you could say, and I had convinced myself that I would not buy one since hearing the famous "599 USD" spoken back in 2006, at least not in the forseeable future.. But I have finally been swayed into picking up Sony's console, thus finally completing my console trio this gen. I recently discovered the (somewhat) old 40 gig model going for a little over $200 on Amazon for used, which is basically the maximum price I told myself I would spend on a PS3. Also, it seems that a lot of their games are cheaper now as a result of the Greatest Hits line.

Actually, the main selling point for me is not so much the games, but the Blu ray player, as me and my dad have been talking about getting one for quite awhile, and after seeing The Dark Knight in action on my cousin's Blu Ray player, both of us were wowed and further enticed to get one.

But still, I gotta admit that Sony is finally starting to build up quite a nice library for its console, and dare I say it soon looks to surpass the Xbox 360 (though not quite there yet). So the games I'm pretty sure I will be picking up at this point are Uncharted: Drake's Fourtune, MLB: The Show 10, and Little Big Planet.

As far as some maybes, or games I may pick up later down the road: Uncharted 2, Rachet and Clank (the first one), GoW 3.

So a few questions I'd like to pose for the numerous PS3 fans on this site..

Is it worth forking out a little extra for MLB The Show 10, or would I be better served opting for the cheaper and probably similar The Show 09 or 08? I would consider myself a budget gamer so I am always up for cheap games.

Also.. what's this Demon Souls game I keep hearing about? I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to certain HD games, particularly Sony ones. From what I've seen it looks interesting. Is it essentially an open-ended RPG like Monster Hunter 3 and Oblivion? Because if so I may have to add that to my list of games as well.

And of course the big one, what are some other games you feel I absolutely shouldn't miss out on that I may have neglected to notice? Keep in mind MG4 (and other stealth games for that matter) don't interest me in the slightest, and I'm generally not into games with heavy emphasis on cinematics and dialoge, such as Heavy Rain. But I'm willing to try almost anything else.. I appreciate your input :)

Around the Network

You absolutely need to buy Flower from the PS Store, it's amazing. I can also recommend Critter Crunch, amazing little puzzle game, and very well priced.

If you're going to get GoW3, the GoW Collection can also be recommended. Valkyria Chronicles is certainly worth your time as well.

Well since you only have the 40GB model I would reccommend getting a bigger HDD, you can get one for pretty cheap and they ar really easy to put in, especially if you dont have any gamesaves on it.

As for games here is a list I reccommend

inFamous
Uncharted 1 & 2
Resistance 1 & 2
Ratchet & Clank Future (All 3 titles)
LittleBigPlanet
Killzone 2
God of War III
God of War Collection
Valkyria Chronicles
Flower

Metallicube said:

Rachet and Clank (the first one). Oh no no no no! don't buy this game! you should forget about it and get Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time instead. why? because it wasn't much a platformer but more a shooter! =/ which disappointed me a lot

Is it worth forking out a little extra for MLB The Show 10, or would I be better served opting for the cheaper and probably similar The Show 09 or 08? I would consider myself a budget gamer so I am always up for cheap games.

Yes , the features in the Show 10 is a lot more refined and the The Show 10 is THE best sports sim game to come out on a system this gen

Also.. what's this Demon Souls game I keep hearing about? I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to certain HD games, particularly Sony ones. From what I've seen it looks interesting. Is it essentially an open-ended RPG like Monster Hunter 3 and Oblivion? Because if so I may have to add that to my list of games as well.

Demon's Souls is my favorite game , its NOT like oblivion but more like Monster Hunter,  you don't have a vast world to explore but you have a lot of worlds to SELECT and join others online, don't let this turn you off though, the worlds are HUGE and filled with secrets which leads to more places to discover, also the online is fantastic and very unique, but i will tell you though if you get this game you will be very addicted to it so you might want to get it alone. and not with anything else

just an extra warning . R&C Tools of Destruction is NOT a platformer ... well it is , but its more of a Shooter than a platformer (hence the Tools of destruction) , so i'd rather forget about it if you are a mario fan , and go with Quest For Booty (its a PSN Game) and A Crack In Time (the best one in the series)

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Severance said:
Metallicube said:

Rachet and Clank (the first one). Oh no no no no! don't buy this game! you should forget about it and get Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time instead. why? because it wasn't much a platformer but more a shooter! =/ which disappointed me a lot

just an extra warning . R&C Tools of Destruction is NOT a platformer ... well it is , but its more of a Shooter than a platformer (hence the Tools of destruction) , so i'd rather forget about it if you are a mario fan , and go with Quest For Booty (its a PSN Game) and A Crack In Time (the best one in the series)

If you're going into Ratchet & Clank expecting a platformer, yes you will be disappointed, but it's still an awesome game, and under no circumstance should he miss out on the first game if he has any interest in the series. Especially because it's so cheap nowadays.

Metallicube, if you have any interest in the R&C games, start with Tools of Destruction. End. Of. Story.

Around the Network

oh yeah , the FIRST thing you want to do is buy a bigger HDD , trust me you will need it.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Severance said:
Metallicube said:

Yes , the features in the Show 10 is a lot more refined and the The Show 10 is THE best sports sim game to come out on a system this gen

Demon's Souls is my favorite game , its NOT like oblivion but more like Monster Hunter,  you don't have a vast world to explore but you have a lot of worlds to SELECT and join others online, don't let this turn you off though, the worlds are HUGE and filled with secrets which leads to more places to discover, also the online is fantastic and very unique, but i will tell you though if you get this game you will be very addicted to it so you might want to get it alone. and not with anything else

Oh, I was under the impression A Crack in Time was the more shooter based one.. But I guess it makes sense, "Tools of Destruction." Heh pretty obvious now :/

Cool well thanks for the warning, becuase I indeed wanted to pick up the more platformer-centric Rachet.

Hmm, so maybe Demon Souls I will hold off on for now, it does seem like a game that would take up a lot of time. The Show 10, LBP, and Rachet should be enough to get me started.. Plus I still plan on saving some cash for a few Blu Ray movies to feast my eyes on.. But I will have to keep my eye on that game, as well as Valkyria.

Congratz on getting a ps3. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

As far as games go, LBP, Demon's Souls, and Uncharted 2 are the highlights for me, in that order.

To learn more about Demon's Souls, I'd suggest reading this write up by Gamasutra. It's easily the best piece I've seen on the game, and it describes why I couldn't put the game down to a T.

Edit:

Ok, I'll give my thoughts on Demon's Souls.

The game's design is really more Zelda-esque than anything RPG-ish, notably the level design.  The level design is not simply a bunch of similar dungeons made up of repeating and randomly placed tunnels and whatnot.  It is wholely unlike Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Oblivion in this regard.  Instead, each dungeon has a very unique style, with every place being distinct from every other.  Much like the dungeons in Zelda, you can always tell exactly where you are when playing Demon's Souls.  This not only makes it easier to find your way around, but it makes for a much more memorable experience than most RPGs.

On top of that, the combat is more hack n' slash than RPG, but rather than flashy Ninja Gaiden-esque combos, they give you a few simple attacks, and it's all about using the thrusts and parries effectively to combat your enemies. In all honesty, getting to know your enemy is probably more important than the items you're carrying (though they're an integral part of the equation too).

However, the game is most definitely an RPG, given that you do gain experience, and given that you have a plethora of weapons, armor, spells, and other items that you can find, buy, and craft, thus giving you great control over what type of being your character becomes.

My favorite part of the game is how it handles death.  In this game, there are no game over screens or anything of the sort.  When you die, you don't have to start anything over.  Instead, when you do die you are stripped of your body, and forced to roam around the land as a phantom.  You do go back to the beginning of the immediate level you were playing, but any items you found prior to death remain on you, any events you triggered remain triggered, and the only thing you've lost are any souls you had on you at the time you died (souls are used for currency and for increasing your stats).  Yet even then, any souls you had can be found on the bloodstain residing at the location of your death.  Make it to your bloodstain intact, and you get all those souls back!  But be wary, as if you are slain again, a NEW bloodstain is created at the new point of death, so everything at your previous bloodstain is lost.   Considering you'll likely have to fight your way back to your bloodstain, you'll probably gain quite a few souls on the trip there, thus essentially doubling your total souls if you do manage to get to your bloodstain.  It's a gamble you may or may not wish to take, but it can be well worth it.

The reason I am fond of this system is that even in death, the game feels like it's still progressing.  You feel like you're getting somewhere, even if you died.

I highly recommend the title.  It's the most unique RPG I've yet had the pleasure of playing, and it's my favorite third person adventure game behind the 3D Zeldas.  It's right up there with LBP as my favorite ps3 game, and easily in my top ten games of all time.  It's probably 6th, actually, right behind the 3D Zeldas and LBP.

Rainbird said:
You absolutely need to buy Flower from the PS Store, it's amazing. I can also recommend Critter Crunch, amazing little puzzle game, and very well priced.

If you're going to get GoW3, the GoW Collection can also be recommended. Valkyria Chronicles is certainly worth your time as well.

Yeah looks like there is some good stuff on the PSN store, haven't heard much about Flower but I will have to look into that one. Looks very nice from what I've seen though, colorful and vibrant which is always a plus in my book.

I think I may also check out Fat Princess. Was watching a friend of mine play that game and it looks like a lot of fun, and funny too. Sort of a LKS mixed with Defend Your Castle and Castle Crashers, which is right up my alley.

Metallicube said:
Rainbird said:

Yeah looks like there is some good stuff on the PSN store, haven't heard much about Flower but I will have to look into that one. Looks very nice from what I've seen though, colorful and vibrant which is always a plus in my book.

I think I may also check out Fat Princess. Was watching a friend of mine play that game and it looks like a lot of fun, and funny too. Sort of a LKS mixed with Defend Your Castle and Castle Crashers, which is right up my alley.

Yeah, there are some great PSN games out there.

I still stand by R&CF: Tools of Destruction though, you should look at the VGC review if you want the opinion of someone else who came into the game expecting a platformer.

http://vgchartz.com/games/gamereviewdisp.php?id=7256