By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - This kind of attention seeking just disappoints me.

All day today in the tabloids they have been "outraged" by a woman's claims that her son was kicked off a bus for wearing an England shirt.

Here's the story from the ever trustworthy Daily Mail (/sarcasm) (Link)

And most of the readers have been getting far too worked up about it, read the comments to see exactly how people have been acting towards the situation.

But a quick Google shows that the woman completely made up this story. It's a false claim, as stated by the bus company (Link)

And the woman is nothing more than a thug and a criminal (Link)

I mean why tell such a lie in the first place? Hope that the tabloids kick up a storm? Make your life more interesting? It's just a story that's easily falsifiable and you are made out to be a liar.

What gets me though is that so many people have been kicking up a fuss about this story, following a "proposed ban on England shirts" which was also a completely fabricated story with no basis other than a few known trouble pubs in Croyden being advised to implement a dress code of no football shirts (not England shirts, all football shirts) if they wish to curb football hooliganism.

Why are people so willing to believe this kind of tripe? and why are people so willing to make it up in order to feed those?

/rant

I just don't understand the world any more.

Around the Network

people ask me why I don't read the tabloids, I just don't know what to tell them...

seriously, this story shows just how pathetic some journalists and newspapers have become

I read the Daily Mail.. well Daily (because its free at work) and it reminds me of a lot of newspapers here in the US. That kind of "journalism" is really dumbing down society.

Its the Milgram experiment theory isn't it. People will believe or do anything if it seems to be coming from a position of power or inteligence.

Everybody wants their fifteen minutes, I guess. Remember that time that kid flew off in that space ship/balloon?

Around the Network

Wait a second, are you saying you're not in favor of banning English shirts? But, I don't understand. Don't you see how better off we would be?

Just kidding.

in all seriousness, people spew whatever they can to get their names in headlines and papers do whatever they can to sell papers. they feed off each other.