By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: PSP2 will be a download-only!!!

I don't think that's actually a totally wrong idea....the PSPgo bombed mainly because of its price and because it came out too late, also zero advertisment (at least where I live). Download-only games are some advantaged in terms of final price, not to mention that UMD had a lot of problems as an handled media disc in terms of battery life and hardware size.
And the success of Steam proves that 40$ for a downloadable new game is not too much.

Around the Network

Lol good idea Sony, since you know, it worked out SO well for the PSP go..

If there's anything the failure of the PSP go should teach game companies, it's that people like to OWN their games, as in, physical copies of their games, that nobody can manipulate, regulate, or delete.

I like download better. I don't really like having UMD's lying around and carring them places. Games are a little high though.

I'd get one, if there is some good CS for it.. I'd love to emulate on this bitch.. The first PSP is an emulation beast.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
KBG29 said:
Why do people insist on physical media in a handheld? Do people use their brains at all anymore? Go return a PSP game after 3 weeks and see what you get for it. Gamestop will maybe give you $10, on ebay you may get $15. Who is that hard up? Secondly, if you are only going to keep something for a month go rent it 1 time. It's about 5 dollars to rent a game at most video stores, and they have any late fees, plus that is way less than buying and selling games.

Physical media on a handheld in now is as backwards as using horses to pull your Camry. We have digital services now were you can by something under an account, and own it forever. Download it to up to 5 active devices at a time, as many times as you want.

If you loose 15 UMDS and your PSP at the airport its all gone. If your loose your PSP Go with 50 games on it, call Sony and have it deactivated, buy a new PSP and redownload all of your games.

But I don't have fast, any, enough internet/bandwidth. There are free wifi locations all over the place. If you can't drive to find a spot to download games, you won't be able to drive to buy a physical copy either.

I could go on for days about the many advantages of digital media versus physical media on a mobile device, but it would be worthless, because people have lost all common sense.

Rubbish. Judging by the lack of success of the psp go, I am sure that very few people would want a download only games console. I  think you are forgetting a few important things

Firstly, what about those people who dont have an internet connection? They could buy the psp1000-4000 and play all their games SP. Now they can't even GET the games. Don't say " oh yes they can find a wifi connection", who actually does that?

Two, yes if I bought say 5 games and after half a year or so i wanted some new ones, yes i would sell them on ebay. Id probably get 30-40 pounds for them which im not just going to throw away.Its not that people are hard up on cash, its the fact that if they dont want to play a game anymore coz its boring or they have completed it, if its download only they have to keep it, but with discs they can sell it and get some money towards a new game. Finally most important thing of all to many people- price. You would think that since the publishers dont have to pay to create the game disc itself, the manual, the case and then pay money for stores to stock it the price would be lower yes? But they are not. Sony has basically got a monopoly on the price of these games and most of them stay at RRP for ages. If i go into a gamestation etc, id be able to get £5+ off the RRP instantly, have a physical copy, and be able to sell it for many when im bored.

Around the Network

He didn't say that the PSP2 would be download only.

PSP Go 'blazed the trail'...?

Excuse me, but I find that comment rather funny.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

freebs2 said:
And the success of Steam proves that 40$ for a downloadable new game is not too much.

Hardly. Most people i know very rarely buy steam games for RRP. 

I have something like 60-70 games on steam and only 2 of them were bought for retail price (and they were boxed sets from store with code later inputed into steam :D )

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

I only download free games, when I pay I want to get SW on physical media. That thing is not for me.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I am probably more a tech enthusiast than most here.

This will allow the device to be sleeker and more sturdy. It's a portable device and I think removing moving parts is a good idea. It's good for a better battery life, making the device slimmer, less wear issues in course of time, better loading times / higher tranfer rate for streaming and you don't have to worry about carrying storage media with you.

IMO it's the way of the future for handhelds and certainly a much better approach from a technical perspective for long term potential. For retailers it may be less interesting as they will probably only carry PSN code cards for credit.

Broadband internet is also a good idea, the popular iPhones and Blackberries have paved the way for improved coverage. Online gaming can thus become more advanced on handhelds.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales