By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Why LBP PSP will never have multiplayer

WiFi functionality saps away too much processing power, says dev

LittleBigPlanet is one of PS3's best multiplayer games, and the PSP version would have made a perfect fit for some wireless multiplayer platform action. Except there's no multiplayer in the PSP version. Why?

The PSP, explains Sony senior producer Mark Green, just isn't powerful enough. "It's a real tricky one with multiplayer, in that on the PSP, as soon as you turn the Wi-Fi on, you lose a third of your processing power," he told Spong.

"You lose a third of your available system memory for the libraries and what have you. So, we were looking at it and we think it might be feasible to do something the size of the mini-games in multiplayer. But something of the complexity of most of the levels just wouldn't be possible."

He went on: "It haunted us for a while, but we think we made the right decision, not including it. It allowed us to do all the physics and everything that I think makes LittleBigPlanet what it is."

LBP launched on PSP in November last year and, just like the PS3 version, has since been bombarded with plenty of cool little extras downloadable via the PlayStation Network.

Source's Spong and http://www.computerandvideogames.com

Around the Network

wtf turning on wifi takes a third of the system's powr?!

mM

This just proves that consoles > handhelds.

Still it’s a shame the devs couldn’t make some kind of compromise.

Dang the ps3 must be a real beast then :)

Around the Network

(This was meant to be a joke but I will leave this as an open apology to anyone whom I may have potentially offended which was never my intention)

Tease.

You forget the PSP is emulating playstation 1 not n64

Squilliam said:
The Nintendo Wii must be even more powerful than I thought. You can leave wireless on all the time on that machine.

You dirty, filthy troll Squilliam. I hope you get permabanned and your entire record of posts eliminated from this site. How dare you make such an inciteful and hateful comment about the Wii. If only you lived in my city, or my street I would kick your butt into the dirt. Alas you're probably some coward sitting behind a computer monitor somewhere, you wouldn't dare come out and face me.

Squiliamlovessega said:
Squilliam said:
The Nintendo Wii must be even more powerful than I thought. You can leave wireless on all the time on that machine.

You dirty, filthy troll Squilliam. I hope you get permabanned and your entire record of posts eliminated from this site. How dare you make such an inciteful and hateful comment about the Wii. If only you lived in my city, or my street I would kick your butt into the dirt. Alas you're probably some coward sitting behind a computer monitor somewhere, you wouldn't dare come out and face me.

joke?? haha

Squiliamlovessega said:
Squilliam said:

........ WOW !!!