By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can't Believe myself... I bought Red Dead over ModNation...

That's right. I bought Red Dead Redemption yesterday.

I've been excited about ModNation Racers ever since E3 last year. Love Kart Racers. The Whole Play Create Share thing is great. I stayed up until 1:30 am just to wait for the PS Store to update and download the Beta rightaway. Played the beta for ages and gave a proper feedback back to United Front. Been waiting eagerly for May for ModNation. It's even in my Sig for Most Anticipated PS3 Games.

I didn't know a game called Red Dead Redemption even existed until last month. I have no interest in Western Games what-so-ever. Open World is not so much my type of game. It's never been on my radar (look at my sig).

So why did I buy Red Dead Redemption when I should've never hesistated to buy ModNation first? I still don't know why fully myself but part of the reason was that the Loading Times were pretty ridiculous for ModNation. I usually can put up with loading but ModNation is long enough to actually put me off. Then the Reviews came in. Red Dead reaches AAA status and I read a few different reviews. The were great reviews to convince me. Then I watched some trailers and thought it was pretty cool. ModNation was half half for reviews. I mean half the reviewers say the gameplay is great but the other half doesn't agree and one of the things I mentioned that should be fixed in my feedback was the gameplay. I don't care about the review scores... Nah I'd be lying if I said that (that's why I didn't get Lost Planet 2 or White Knight). But I read the reviews so see what's so good about the game and what's not and that's what matters in reviews.

But I'll get ModNation very soon but it's just so strange for me not to buy ModNation Racers Day 1 and instead get Red Dead Redemption.

So if anyone with the PS3 Red Dead wanna play CO OP or Multiplayer with me, add me on PSN: xaldinator

Around the Network

To be honest, I was shocked with I found out a month ago that MNR was a 59.99 dollar retail release. I always thought it was going to be a downloadable title.

Honestly.....I still think it should be a downloadable title. I just can't see myself buying a new cart-racing game for 59.99 when there are already games on PSN that are much better(Wipeout HD ffs) with more/better content/gameplay, for much cheaper. When I saw the price on amazon I about shit, lol, I did a double take.

I'll put it this way. If you want to pay 59.99 for a cart racer, then MNR is your only choice, because even Mario Kart is cheaper than that.

That said, ANY new game that's a new IP, I'd have a hard time paying 59.99 for, unless it had something really special going for it(like AAA reviews, ect).

As for MNR, I've heard a few things about it that would make me second guess a purchase at any price, mostly the same stuff that's wrong with Mario Kart(randomness), and RDR is at least very good, so you made the right choice. I can guarantee you that there is no question you will at least get your money's worth with that game.

The only way I'd buy MNR is if I'd already bought all of the other games for the console that I wanted, lol. It's like the "last resort" exclusive. I would certainly rather have 3DDH, and the price on that one was discounted at launch. You can also get God of War 3 much cheaper now and Uncharted 2. Is MNR worth the same price as those games were, new?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I was excited about ModNation Racers as well but the demo killed the hype for me.. I didn't like the handling at all.. I'll be getting RDR when I have a little more free time :)

lol Well RDR and MNR are both great games :D I will buy both soon

They will both worth every penny invested imo......RDR a great western experience and the multiplayer just screams fun :D

MNR the best kart racers out so far that doesn't ride on the fame of a character like many games but a new IP that has customization options and driving mechanics that will be challenging AND creative :D But then again I don't need to tell you this, you most prob already know this :P And they will patch it within a month imo so yeah by the time my exams are done it should be ready for the glory of kicking my friends butts

ps: You do realize this thread will turn into yet another LET"S BASH MNR CUZ I HATE SONY threads right? It already has started too lol

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

well RDR is just pure ownage ;) i wud have did the same thing (even tho im getting both lol)

Around the Network

Just checked Amazon, MNR is still 59.99(to give you background, I rarely see new games at amazon selling at full price, they usually knock several dollars off)

http://www.amazon.com/ModNation-Racers-Playstation-3/dp/B002BRZ7JE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1274605190&sr=8-1

Example

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dead-Redemption-Playstation-3/dp/B001SGZL2W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1274605235&sr=1-2

If you add to cart, you can see that the PS3 version of RDR is on sale for 49.99 on Amazon, no tax, free shipping.

....I mean really, RDR for 49.99 vs MNR at 59.99, that's not really a choice....

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Im getting MNR next week cause I just got RDR and 3D dot.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Just checked Amazon, MNR is still 59.99(to give you background, I rarely see new games at amazon selling at full price, they usually knock several dollars off)

http://www.amazon.com/ModNation-Racers-Playstation-3/dp/B002BRZ7JE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1274605190&sr=8-1

Example

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dead-Redemption-Playstation-3/dp/B001SGZL2W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1274605235&sr=1-2

If you add to cart, you can see that the PS3 version of RDR is on sale for 49.99 on Amazon, no tax, free shipping.

....I mean really, RDR for 49.99 vs MNR at 59.99, that's not really a choice....

I don't buy things online but here in Australia this week, Red Dead Redemption was on sale for $83 at Big W when every other retailer had it at $109. So pretty much if that was in the US, I'd be buying Red Dead for $29 which is $30 off the RRP. So I did get Red Dead for a very good price at first week release. ModNation was on sale for $88 so there was a $5 difference.

MUGEN@ noooooo I don't people to derail this thread! It's not like I hate ModNation or won't be getting it.

M.U.G.E.N said:

lol Well RDR and MNR are both great games :D I will buy both soon

They will both worth every penny invested imo......RDR a great western experience and the multiplayer just screams fun :D

MNR the best kart racers out so far that doesn't ride on the fame of a character like many games but a new IP that has customization options and driving mechanics that will be challenging AND creative :D But then again I don't need to tell you this, you most prob already know this :P And they will patch it within a month imo so yeah by the time my exams are done it should be ready for the glory of kicking my friends butts

ps: You do realize this thread will turn into yet another LET"S BASH MNR CUZ I HATE SONY threads right? It already has started too lol

I hope that isn't pointed at me. I'm not intending to flame Sony at all. Also, I hope you aren't implying that Mario Kart is relying on licensed characters instead of gameplay and quality.

I haven't personally played the game, however, I do feel the need to reassure the OP that I would make the same decision. A new IP that's a cart racer, with reviews like MNR has gotten, which costs 10 dollars more than RDR at Amazon right now is, imo, an easy "choice."

However, I'm not a cart racing entheusiasts, if such a things exists, so to each his own(though I imagine a cart racing entheusiasts who hates Mario Kart is a rare thing indeed). I believe the game would have been recieved much better as a downloadable game, and I'm basing it off my own supposition that it would have been a great game that I would have downloaded, but now they'll be lucky if I buy it in 6 months used for 10 bucks off of ebay.

I'm known around here as a "360 fan" which is utterly absurd if you knew me, but I have been looking forward to many of the exclusives and I'll tell you right now, I took Alan Wake out of my queue the second I heard RDR was good. Now, I would light my eyebrows on fire before I'd choose MNR over Alan Wake, so imagine how I would compare RDR to MNR, and then imagine RDR is 10 dollars cheaper, which it is at this very second on Amazon.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Also, I've kind of given a little RDR rundown of about 3 hours in over on this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=109866&page=1&str=753916432#

Now, imo, RDR isn't a perfect game, nor is it all roses, early on, but it is very good.

Also, like I've said, I've never played MNR, so I'm going off ignorant assumptions of the game, which I predict would prove true, judging by the evidence I've encountered. I don't really KNOW which game is better through personal experience, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

...also, I do want to interject this. For anyone who likes arcadey powerup/booster panel racing games, and doesn't have it, for god sakes, download Wipeout HD. That is one of the best racing games ever released, and I was amazed at the quality of the game. I'd bet it's around 20 bucks on PSN more or less, and you will NOT regret it. You might consider that as an alternative for MNR, you might even find that it is the superior game(by miles, I'd wager), so go have a look around at what's already out in that genre before you make a final decision.

NO NO, NO NO NO.