By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you endorse exclusivity?

Do you endorse exclusivity?

Yes 105 78.95%

No 15 11.28%

Don't care 13 9.77%

Total:133

just look at the wii and see what exclusives games can do for a console

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

yes exclusve games r pushing consoles nt multiplat games

Exclusives are tailored to a console's strengths.
Exclusives carry more hype and get more recognition.
When devs stick to exclusivity, it implies that their product is financially viable and are more interested in expanding the brand, and therefore is probably a game of worth.

Exclusives are good, but games going multiplat is nothing to get your knickers in a twist over.

Theres no advantage to exclusivity unless you have a unique console with a unique interface to enable unique possibilities. Theres no real advantage to having a slightly better looking game if thats the only advantage.

Around the Network

yes, but I like all the best games on one console. Being that its Nintendo I like the most as a game maker and well system maker you get my drift. Though I do think other than in House games I do not really see the big reason to go that route. I have never bought a system for one 3rd party game ever and I never well. Closest one would have been my PS1 the game that pushed me over the edge was FF7, but I already wanted a few others like Crash Bandicoot games and GT1 already.

exclusives let the consumers pick which console. If all games were on all the consoles, what's the difference between each console other than names?

CGI-Quality said:
WilliamWatts said:
Theres no advantage to exclusivity unless you have a unique console with a unique interface to enable unique possibilities. Theres no real advantage to having a slightly better looking game if thats the only advantage.

If that were the only benefit to being exclusive, you would have a point.

Hardly. When you share similar controls, performance etc it doesn't matter if a game is exclusive. Only Nintendo has made truely successful games which are truely unique to their system. You could pick up and drop any PS3 exclusive barring one or two from the PS3 and place it on the 360 and the average person wouldn't know the difference. Thats why HD exclusivity is about denying people good games and not about the capabilities of the systems.

Only when it actually makes sense for some practical reason. In most cases people confuse artistry and the faster evolution of exclusives due to the fact that the developer is programming for one console and not two or more as some inherrant benefit of exclusivity when much of the advantage thats seen by people is just talented artistry.

What most people want are really good games. The most popular titles on the Xbox 360/PS3 are multiplatform and it shows how little it really matters overall whether a game is exclusive to the point where one of these systems is excluded. Nintendo on the other hand really do take advantage of the uniqueness of the Wii to great effect so only really in that case do exclusives actually make sense because they are simply not possible on the Xbox 360 or PS3.

I endorse exclusivity for the PC and Wii because they actually do make sense given whatever ambition developers might hold and both platforms are actually unique with unique strengths and weaknesses. However the only reason not to release a PS3 version or an Xbox 360 version in 95% of cases for the DX9 consoles is just because a console maker is paying the bills.

Tease.

CGI-Quality said:
WilliamWatts said:

Hardly. When you share similar controls, performance etc it doesn't matter if a game is exclusive. Only Nintendo has made truely successful games which are truely unique to their system. You could pick up and drop any PS3 exclusive barring one or two from the PS3 and place it on the 360 and the average person wouldn't know the difference. Thats why HD exclusivity is about denying people good games and not about the capabilities of the systems.

Which, of course, is strictly your opinion.

There's one teenie, tiny advantage to having an exclusive line-up: DIFFERENTIATING your offering. What the Hell is the point of multiple consoles with the same games? (a lovely question that hardly is answered)

What the hell is the point in saying that. Its all opinion, most cited sources are infact supporting opinions. There are very few facts involved and once you get into interpretation you're once again into opinions.

In any case whilst im at it I may as well address the rest:

You've got your cart coming before your horse. The only meaningful differentiation comes from meaningful differentiation between platforms. Theres no point in multiple near identical consoles because you may as well have identical games in the sense that a Samsung TV plays the same movies as a Sony TV. You don't differentiate a TV by making some content exclusive because that defeats the purpose of the market. You differentiate based off what the platform can do which is different.

The PC is a unique platform because the controls are completely different and you can get incredible performance out of the package and it has the openness of the platform/internet as a massive strength. The Wii is completely different because the base controls are something which no other console shares or if they do share they will at best be for the lifespan of the Wii marginal addons. The Xbox 360 and PS3 ARE NOT differentiated significantly by what they can do. They are fundamentally almost identical in almost all relevant functional ways. The controls are near identical and the case for exclusives between the two platforms are at best corner cases or proprietary software.

Tease.