By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will PS3 outsell the Wii WW once shortages are fixed by the 40nm model?

Will PS3 outsell the Wii WW once shortages are fixed by the 40nm model?

Yes 143 25.49%

No 418 74.51%

Total:561

heres a song that i wrote "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

Around the Network

It's difficult to say whether this will happen. At the moment I am thinking no; however, if Move becomes popular and they release good games for it then it's more likely to happen. I just don't know though. Dang it!

jarrod said:
Ail said:
Doubtfull.
However I think PS3 software has a shot at outpacing Wii software on a more frequent basis in the next 6 months...( only reason Wii is still on top the last 2 months is because of the Wii bundling..)

Doubtful.  Bundling is actually going to push Wii software more now that WSR is being bundled in America, plus Wii has quite a few big titles coming over the next several months (Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid OM, DQM Battle Road, etc).  The only reason PS3's even been close the past several months is higher profile releases in Q1 like GOW3 and FFXIII, but it's pretty dry now for summer...

That is the point. Even if PS3 is up YoY still the numbers are poor, the Wii will be on top about every week of this year but it's not Wii's credit, it's just everything isn't selling that well.

It looks Americans do not love Black Wii, but Wii Sports Resort sales will be up next weeks compared to April sales...Galaxy 2 will outsell the first one and the evergreen Wii titles will continue selling till new, big games arrive (Wii Party,Wii Relax, Zelda). PS3 software has a shot of outselling Wii Software in September or October, but during summer its impossible (outside of Japan).

Speaking of hardware just a big price cut (like from 300$ to 200$) can push the PS3 to first position. I know it is impossible they cut their profits just gained but after that Nintendo could just cut Wii's price, it would be impossible for a 200$ Wii with no third party software to outsell a 200$ PS3 with so many exclusives.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Nintendogamer said:
Wii is kind of supply constrained, half the time it's out of stock( literally, 50%). So I doubt Ps3 will be higher of both were not supply contrained,

ps3 is out of supply 80% of the time?? wut u smokin! lol

jarrod said:
Ail said:
Doubtfull.
However I think PS3 software has a shot at outpacing Wii software on a more frequent basis in the next 6 months...( only reason Wii is still on top the last 2 months is because of the Wii bundling..)

Doubtful.  Bundling is actually going to push Wii software more now that WSR is being bundled in America, plus Wii has quite a few big titles coming over the next several months (Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid OM, DQM Battle Road, etc).  The only reason PS3's even been close the past several months is higher profile releases in Q1 like GOW3 and FFXIII, but it's pretty dry now for summer...

It did look dry indeed.

Before Red Dead Redemption suddenly became a smash hit.....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

I think it will for a few months before the proper holiday rush - August and September. However it depends on the Move and GT5 launch dates. For me Wii sales are in decline whereas PS3 seems to steadily be crawling upwards, and I personally think Sony's line up will keep sales climbing while Wii's stagnate so as to allow it to have a few months ahead.

Once you start getting people buying Christmas presents though - I'd imagine the Wii will start to dominate again. That's entirely based on how incredible sales climbed last December for the Wii - but hey maybe it won't be so hot this Christmas? We'll see :).

Ail said:
jarrod said:
Ail said:
Doubtfull.

It did look dry indeed.

RDR will do most of it's sales on 360 (just like GTA4).  PS3 still benefits from a stronger multiplatform spread, but it's dearth of notable exclusives until fall will guarantee lower software sales than Wii.

jarrod said:
Ail said:
jarrod said:
Ail said:
Doubtfull.

It did look dry indeed.

RDR will do most of it's sales on 360 (just like GTA4).  PS3 still benefits from a stronger multiplatform spread, but it's dearth of notable exclusives until fall will guarantee lower software sales than Wii.

Err ?

GTA4 did 6.52 mill on PS3, 7.8 mill on 360 and that was at a time when the 360 had a much better install base advantage percent wise...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
jarrod said:
Ail said:
jarrod said:
Ail said:
Doubtfull.

It did look dry indeed.

Err ?

GTA4 did 6.52 mill on PS3, 7.8 mill on 360 and that was at a time when the 360 had a much better install base advantage percent wise...

Er, what?  I'm not sure how things changes anything I've just said?

Basically, nothing on PS3 will sell as well as Mario Galaxy 2, Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort until fall.  PS3 doesn't have a FFXIII or a GOW3 to draw in sales this summer, which is the only reason it was even close to Wii figures previously during Wii's empty (in terms of AAA releases) Q1.  Wii has the biggest new release, plus bundled titles, plus far, far stronger evergreens (NSMB, Wii Fit Plus, Mario Kart, Just Dance, etc).  I'm actually a little curious why you'd think PS3 could even approach Wii software in the immediate future?

nah.. should half the differnce from 40 to 20k weekly but still not even it..

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.