By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 1up Dragon Quest IX Preview - Might be the Next Pokemon

Dragon Quest IX might just be the next Pokemon

Yes it's yet another Dragon Quest game, and the assumption is that it'll be a niche game appealing to hardcore fans, but interestingly Nintendo is publishing this one, and there's a few other reasons why this game might be different than the rest and could be a breakout hit. 

Jeremy Parish explains...

Quote:

It's little wonder Nintendo picked up the game for U.S. release. The last portable RPG to perform [so well in Japan] was a little thing called "Pokémon," which started off fairly small and progressively ballooned into a juggernaut thanks to its compelling multiplayer component, which turned it into a schoolyard favorite. Likewise, DQIX's passive connectivity features turned it into a massive phenomenon in Japan, with groups of people gathering at various locations in Tokyo and elsewhere to share information and quest together. If Nintendo can convince American audiences to give DQIX a shot, it too stands a chance of becoming an international smash alongside Pokémon.

That's hardly the only thing the two games have in common, though. One suspects that DQIX developers Level-5, Armor Project, and Square Enix took very thorough notes on what makes Nintendo's monster-catching adventures so popular and integrated their findings into DQIX in an attempt to create the ultimate RPG. I'm talking about the big-picture concepts and fundamental underpinnings of Pokémon here, not the monster-trading aspect. Dragon Quest did monster-catching years before Game Freak's classic came to fruition, and in any case the series' more direct superficial Pokémon analog, Dragon Quest Monsters, currently has an installment dominating the Japanese charts.

No, the deeper similarities between DQIX and Pokémon revolve around the way they capitalize on the nature of portable platforms, and how the social element is integral to the experience. But even there, DQIX differs greatly from Pokémon: The latter's multiplayer component is primarily about competition, where the former uses connectivity as a means to expand on the series' long-standing themes of friendship and teamwork. Players can jump into and out of a friend's adventure at any time -- not quite seamlessly, since it requires an invitation and a minute's worth of party juggling, but painlessly to be sure -- and band together to tackle the next portion of the host player's quest.

It's hard to understate how entertaining cooperative role-playing is. Even though DQIX employs traditional turn-based battles, the format works remarkably well with multiple players -- like a small-scale, turn-based MMO. It's a unique take on multiplayer questing, eschewing the real-time mechanics of World of Warcraft or Monster Hunter, and the result is an RPG experience quite unlike any other.

...Another strength that DQIX shares in common with Pokémon is its heavy emphasis on post-game content. The main story -- which involves a fallen angel and wish-granting heavenly fruits that have fallen into the wrong hands -- is really just the beginning of the full DQIX experience. Beyond the main quest, the game offers roughly 250 side quests, many of which don't become available until the final boss is defeated. More than 50 of those quests will be distributed through free weekly downloads for a year. (The game's July 11 U.S. release date is quietly significant, as it marks one year to the day since the Japanese release and thus the end of the game's weekly download schedule.)

Weekly quests aren't the only content that can be downloaded to the game, though. Characters from other Dragon Quest games will show up for small cameos, and there's even a Wi-Fi shop in the central town that updates daily with hard-to-find equipment and rare alchemy resources. And then of course there's the game's tag mode, the famous "surechigai tsuuchin" mode that helped make DQIX into such a blockbuster. By walking around with their systems in tag mode, players can mingle passively with other DQIX fans, exchanging not just character information but also rare and extravagant treasure maps. Certain maps have become holy grails among the DQIX fanbase, coveted for their high-level loot and rare monsters. The prospect of bumping into another player who could pass along one of those highly desirable maps was one of the key components that kept Japanese fans playing (and interacting passively) for so long.

Read the full article which goes much more in depth here: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pa...cId=3179395&p=

The title clearly has a lot of similarities to Pokemon with regard to the root causes of their popularity. It's about school yard fun and a (near) bottomless pit of addictive content. If Nintendo gives this one a big push I could definitely see kids crowding around dungeon crawling together and sharing content much in the same way that we see kids playing Pokemon today.

Is this possible?

Around the Network

It's too hard to be the next Pokemon. Dragon Quest takes grindan to another level.

No... the next pokemon is Black and White... already confirmed by Nintendo!

The text in that quote is illegible... try making it black, and choose a bigger font. The way it's now is illegally hard on the eyes.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

It should be legible

Around the Network

I'm not sure about being the next pokemon, but DQIX is a very fun game to play. Well after I finished the main story there was just so much stuff to do. I put in +150hrs into the game and I still have a lot I didn't finish. One person I know put well over 500hrs into DQIX and is still playing it as well!!! :-O

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

I don't want another pokemon, I want Dragon Quest
this game will rock

There's something that I wantet to know, since i'm not from the US.

In the US, what was big first, Pokemon the anime or the Pokemon games? Here in Israel the anime got big first and only than Pokemon the games (and even than they're not that big here).

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

No. I don't think it will be the next Pokemon. There's something just so addictive about Pokemon. Besides, Pokemon has such a larger fanbase worldwide.

It will most likely be a HUGE hit along side Pokemon, but i don't think Pokemon will ever be replaced. Pokemon is here to stay forever.

Now, if Nintendo pushes this game on Ads, Tvs, basically everywhere, Dragon Quest IX has a chance to become really popular. An anime will help give it sales also.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

RageBot said:
There's something that I wantet to know, since i'm not from the US.

In the US, what was big first, Pokemon the anime or the Pokemon games? Here in Israel the anime got big first and only than Pokemon the games (and even than they're not that big here).

The game was big first, but the two helped to promote eachother greatly, as did the CCG.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.