By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What are XBLG subscribers paying $50 a year for?

All I have left to say is this: I have high speed internet. I have a PS3, a (pretty weak) PC, a Wii and an Xbox 360. The 360 is the only Microsoft console I've ever owned so I'm not a fanboy (at least I don't think I am). There has to be a reason I do all of my online gaming on the 360 and there has to be a reason why I pay $50 to do it.

Around the Network

They get to pretend that its the best online service because it costs more than the rest, therefore it must be better. Anyway, the consoles could never compete with PC for online gaming because the PC has so many different programs to use while consoles are limited to whatever system their company makes for them.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

NiKKoM said:
badgenome said:
Slimebeast said:
To avoid people with aimbots and map hacks.

Also, to avoid shio.

I would pay $100 a year for that.. ;)

Can we get a mod to change the title to, "Why are XBLG subscribers paying only $50 a year?"

d21lewis said:
All I have left to say is this: I have high speed internet. I have a PS3, a (pretty weak) PC, a Wii and an Xbox 360. The 360 is the only Microsoft console I've ever owned so I'm not a fanboy (at least I don't think I am). There has to be a reason I do all of my online gaming on the 360 and there has to be a reason why I pay $50 to do it.

Because you couldn't do any online gaming on your 360 without paying to do it?

Barozi said:
I heard there are also people who pay for MMO subscriptions every month....

Yes but there's no other way to play these MMO...

Around the Network

Psh, who pays $50 a year for Gold?

shio said:

What are they paying for? I see PSN having almost the same features, while Steam is way beyond PSN and XBL. Both Steam and PSN are free.

My question is, what are XBLG users paying $50 that is worth over PSN and Steam?

The way I see it the 360 is more expensive then the PS3 as the 50 dollar fee isn't made up for by extra features of quality. Maybe it is a little better but definatly not the 50 dollar difference.

But Microsoft is atleast being honest to themselves, they knew console sales and software weren't going to be enough to make things profitable. You can argue that they are here for the long run and therefor shouldn't care about a negative return on investment right now but offering a free service only to take it away when the xbox gains popularity isn't smart either.

Maybe Sony was so arrogant that they actually thought they would gain 80% marketshare and become profitable on console and software sales alone. Or they simply thought to demolish Microsoft by offering free online and once Microsoft left the market switch to a pay to play model. Whatever it was, it didn't work and I'm convinced the PS4 will have a fee for online.

Steam I am not too familiar with, I guess that software publishers have to pay a percentage on every game sold to Steam to keep the servers running. Is it better then XBL? Probably but not everyone can afford it. Keep in mind that most people only get 4 or 5 games per console so having to buy a new / upgrade their PC to buy one game each year isn't an option.

yo_john117 said:

Because of Halo basically, its worth every penny to play one of the best multiplayer experiences ever!  I would probably pay even more just to play Halo, it really is that good of a game (of course MW2 isn't that bad either, but when Reach comes out, thats it!)

Oh lord not again.

Currently playing

MLB 09: The Show(PS3)

DirtyP2002 said:

lol steam is by far the worst one.

XBL > PSN > battle.net >> steam.

sure steam has some good deals every now and then, but playing on steam is a pain in the ass.
Bad friendslist, LOTS of cheaters, LOTS of flamers, matchmaking? Nope, VAC for CS is useless, insecure etc etc

Actually I prefer battle.net over steam any day.

I can say I have played them all and believe me, XBL is by far the best with PSN coming in 2nd. The PC counterparts are way worse. But how could you know, you never tried.

Steam fucking blows, XBL > Steam!!

I used to play lots of Steam games with VAC, and VAC didnt do shit to ban the players who hacked the game. It just gives you that false warning at the Begining.

As for Psn and XBL, Im paying for a Superior dashboard,online and just about everything else, online wise.

axumblade said:
Barozi said:
I heard there are also people who pay for MMO subscriptions every month....

Great point actually.

I know we sell cards at best buy that are generally about on average 15 dollars for 30 days. So why do PC gamers pay $180 a month for MMO's?

MMO subscriptions are another story.  Matchmaking servers don't host the games.  MMO servers host games with up to thousands of players on at any particular moment.  MMO developers also have to continually add content to the game to keep people interested, where as the games for XBL and PSN are sold by other publishers (or first party, but either way you are paying for content separately that then connects to that service).  Now, some MMOs have chosen other routes to try to pay for these servers, selling in game items, etc., but either way, their operating costs, per player, are higher than XBL or PSN.  Now, if you are super successful, like WoW is now, how Everquest was, and how Lineage is in Korea, you can rake in big cash.  If your subscribitions take a heavy hit or never take off at all, you can be in dire straits real fast.

I give that post a 9.5.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.