By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - So... how about that Tea Party?

HappySqurriel said:
SciFiBoy said:
HappySqurriel said:
SciFiBoy said:
HappySqurriel said:
(As usual) there seems to be a lack of understanding of libertarianism. In general libertarians tends to separate what they believe is right and what they thing the government should encourage or enforce; and you could say that a libertarian truly believes that the government should not be involved in legislating morality. It would be a fairly consistent position for a libertarian to be entirely opposed to something (say racism or forced racial segregation) and yet believe that the government has no right to force people to behave any differently than they are.

hmm, then how could they justify any sort of military or legal system?
military - would be forcing OTHER people to behave differently (not invade, kill, et al)
legal - forcing people NOT to commit crimes
?

Libertarianism is not the belief in anarchy, and most libertarians still believe that there are certain rights of an individual that need to be protected (justifying a legal system) and that everyone has a responsibility to collectively protect their nation (justifying a military). Saying that someone should be arrested for stealing (undermining someone’s right to property ownership) or for murdering someone (undermining someone’s right to live) is quite a bit different from arresting someone for saying something that hurts someone’s feelings.

Racism and Segregation are considerably worse than "hurting someones feelings", its that kind of callous attitude that allowed both to flourish for so long in human societies...

Systemically forced segregation is wrong, but so is systemically forced integration ...

To use a non-racial example, saying that women must use separate fitness facilities as men is just as wrong as saying that women must use the same fitness facilities as men; and there is nothing wrong with a chain of fitness facilities existing that exclusively caters to the needs of women, while having other facilities that choose to target both men and women. The only time anyone ever questions this is when someone would choose to make a gym that exclusively caters to men; and depending on the reason for this segregation people would have varying levels of disapproval, for example segregating because you wanted to focus on the specific approaches that work best for men would result in far less disapproval than segregating because you thought women should be doing more womanly things.

Now, for legislation to be fair it has to treat all groups equally; and therefore legislation to eliminate segregation and to force integration also eliminates reasonable segregation. To put this in the context of my gender based example, this means that Curves and Spa-Lady (and any women only gym, or any gym with a women’s only area) would be forced to allow men to join their gym.

This isn’t to say that a libertarian would approve of all cases of segregation; but that they would tend to see the appropriate way to deal with this segregation was to put social pressure on a business to integrate, or to boycott the business on principle, not to legislate against it. By dealing with it socially rather than legally it allows it to be dealt with on a case by case basis, and for the status to reflect the prevailing views of the community. If (for example) the Ginger Club of America formed and denied access to people of various visible minorities because they were not "Ginger" society on the whole can decide whether that is an appropriate discriminatory policy far better than the legal system can.

The thing is that this is crazy.  The fact that we work to eliminate racial segregation doesn't mean that we should logically also work to eliminate men's and women's toilets.  Dealing with it on a case by case basis as you might say. 

And dealing with racial segregation socially ... didn't work.  Or, rather, the way it worked was the South, 1880-1950.  Now the innermost quoted post by you will say that this is simply a sad consequence of the correct position to take (government noninterference) but the idea that the problem would just go away on its own (once Jim Crow laws were gone) is pure fantasy.  Without the law against them the South may well have held out indefinitely. 

To put it another way, I'm looking at your final sentence.  If I'm not mistaken, racist clubs are allowed to exist, but businesses are treated differently since they are supposed to be open to the public.  American society on the whole decided racism was inappropriate, but Southern society came to a different answer, which they stuck to until American society as a whole used the law to force them to stop it. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

not a fan.

Final-Fan said:

The thing is that this is crazy.  The fact that we work to eliminate racial segregation doesn't mean that we should logically also work to eliminate men's and women's toilets.  Dealing with it on a case by case basis as you might say. 

And dealing with racial segregation socially ... didn't work.  Or, rather, the way it worked was the South, 1880-1950.  Now the innermost quoted post by you will say that this is simply a sad consequence of the correct position to take (government noninterference) but the idea that the problem would just go away on its own (once Jim Crow laws were gone) is pure fantasy.  Without the law against them the South may well have held out indefinitely. 

To put it another way, I'm looking at your final sentence.  If I'm not mistaken, racist clubs are allowed to exist, but businesses are treated differently since they are supposed to be open to the public.  American society on the whole decided racism was inappropriate, but Southern society came to a different answer, which they stuck to until American society as a whole used the law to force them to stop it. 

To be fair, the South didn't try it socially as much as legislatively. They had legal racism vis-a-vis the Jim Crow laws. These were state-enacted pieces of legislation. Only when the fed took them on, did it begin to dislodge itself from public laws.

Poll taxes, literacy tests, ect, caused most of the problems in the South after the Civil war for blacks - with few being elected (since they were not eligible to serve in official capacities), more supressive laws were passed, which continued to further damage their standing with businesses, and other realms.

Take a look at Jim Crow law history on Wikipedia. If you look at the anti-black legislation...You can see that the government did the most to destroy black Americans.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Kasz216 said:
lostintheodyssey said:
Kasz216 said:
lostintheodyssey said:
makingmusic476 said:
lostintheodyssey said:

All you have to do is look at history most people don't seem to act right unless they have the federal government breathing down their neck. 

How can you expect a government elected by and consisting of the people to be morally superior to the general public?  If a majority of the people don't want to act this way, then why are they electing officials that will force them to act this way?

Well if you have noticed most candidates don't give away where they stand on the issues until they get elected.  They take a middle of the road approach and they also switch positions on a issue sometime after getting elected.  When Lincoln got elected even though he didn't approve of slavery he said he would not end it he just wouldn't allow it to spread to the new territories.  After the civil war started due to south carolina trying to secede from the union he saw an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone by using the war to free the slaves.

But you asked a good question and it does happen.  In recent years polls have shown that most americans are in favor of legislation that prevents illegal immigration and terrorists from coming in to the country even if it discriminates against hispanics and people of arab descent.  Of course the federal government isn't going to pass any legislation that discriminates on those groups though.

Polls have recently came out saying that most americans approve of the immigration bill in arizona even though it has gotten a lot of opposition the majority seem to support it.  A few days ago Obama mentioned that discrimination shouldn't be considered acceptable when trying to capture illegal immigrants so go figure.

So... we can trust these people to do good... because they lie to us directly to our faces when they want us to vote for them?

That's your arguement. 

Also, you should REALLY do some research on Lincoln... because your interpretation of why he got rid of slavery... is just kinda funny.

I said they take a middle of the road approach until they get elected not giving away their positions.  For example candidates say they are for family values which sounds good but they haven't given anything away about what those values are.  They say they are for education and reform which are populist messages but they give absolutely nothing away about what they are going to do.  While they do that they also try to show that they are the most qualified for the position that's why governors tout that they have executive experience running their respective states.  Some tout a expansive educational background to show that they have intellectual capacity to take on tough challenges.

Which part about Lincoln did I get wrong?  Was it the part where I said he intially made the civil war about preserving the union or was it the part where I said he seized the opportunity to free the slaves?

The "seized the oppurtunity to free the slaves" part.  He didn't do it because he wanted to save the slaves.  He did it beacuse it was a political gambit that forced the British and French to withhold support from the south.  By reframing the Civil War about slavery he kept foreign support out of the war.

Lincoln didn't give a damn about the slaves, thought they were inferior, and planned to send them all back to Africa.

I admit I'm a little rusty in my US history it's been years but you sound rusty yourself.  Lincoln campaigned to stop the expansion of slavery and he thought slavery would eventually die out on its own.  He also considered negotiating with the states to buy out all of the slaves those points I do remember.

Now to your point about him making it about slavery to keep foreign support away you are just wrong.  True the confederate  wanted support from Britain and France but the United States warned them that if they supported the confederacy it would mean war with the united states and since the us had a formidable navy they would cut off the shipment of supplies to and from Britain.

In fact this is a large part of the reason the  North beat the south they toke over ports and blocking the movement of supplies I believe it was called the ananconda plan.

Finally if he didn't care about the slaves he would have said slavery is allowed to expand in to new territories and he wouldn't have considered buying out the slaves from the slave owners. 

badgenome said:
lostintheodyssey said:
badgenome said:
lostintheodyssey said:

Now on to the polls the reason I didn't link them the other times is because I was using firefox and for some reason I can't paste when I use that browser.  Also one of the polls did show that at least earlier in the year they did have 10% of hispanic votes even more recent polls show that they have lost that support so I will admit I was wrong because I doubted they ever had that kind of support.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20002529-503544.html

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1295.xml?ReleaseID=1436

http://abcnews.go.com/images/PollingUnit/1109a4TeaParty.pdf

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/02/17/rel4b.pdf

So two of them show the tea party to be considerably whiter (~90%), and two of them are very close to the survey you so distrust (within the margin of error). Scathing stuff! I'm truly humbled.

I will ignore your sarcasm and say what I said before which is it's better to look at multiple polls then draw a conclusion.  None of those polls are right the truth is probably somewhere in the middle when you average all of those polls.

But answer the question I asked at the beginning have you ever voted for anyone other than a republican? 

Okay, so then the tea party goes from being frighteningly white to merely a little whiter than society as a whole. Which, again, is not surprising since (1) blacks overwhelmingly support Obama and (2) whites bear more of the tax burden and thus will be more keen to reel in government spending.

And I'm not sure why you care or what it has to do with anything, but yes, I have.

1. After that poll you showed and ones I linked I realize now that I need to see it when it's a tea party candidate against another candidate to really get a better picture of how the nation sees itself.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#USP00p1 so Obama got 95% out of the total population of blacks that make up 13% and about 2/3 of hispanics and asians that combine for 11% of the population .  He got 43% out of the 74% of whites and McCain got 55% which means the majority of Obamas votes still came from whites .  Even when it's "frighteningly" black, asian, hispanic etc they are still a minority so in the crowds it just looks like a multicultural crowd and there's not a frighteningly high number of anything really.

2.  Whites bear more of the tax burden because once again they make up the majority.  When hispanics or whatever group becomes the majority they will bear the brunt of the taxes.  And taxes doesn't really have anything to do with race anyway it's income and class.

3.  I asked because I was curious who you voted for and why.

4.  In a earlier post I said we have to wait and see but I thought that tea party candidates would not be able to win any major elections simply because they would split the republican party and because they don't make up enough of the population and at the moment I right according to at least one poll.

"Only 13 percent of American voters say they are part of the Tea Party movement, a group that has more women than men; is mainly white and Republican and voted for John McCain, and strongly supports Sarah Palin"

"While voters say 44 - 39 percent that they will vote for a Republican over a Democratic candidate in this November's Congressional elections, if there is a Tea Party candidate on the ballot, the Democrat would get 36 percent to the Republican's 25 percent, with 15 percent for the Tea Party candidate, the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University poll finds".

Around the Network
lostintheodyssey said:

1. After that poll you showed and ones I linked I realize now that I need to see it when it's a tea party candidate against another candidate to really get a better picture of how the nation sees itself.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#USP00p1 so Obama got 95% out of the total population of blacks that make up 13% and about 2/3 of hispanics and asians that combine for 11% of the population .  He got 43% out of the 74% of whites and McCain got 55% which means the majority of Obamas votes still came from whites .  Even when it's "frighteningly" black, asian, hispanic etc they are still a minority so in the crowds it just looks like a multicultural crowd and there's not a frighteningly high number of anything really.

Not sure what you're trying to say here. Particularly the bolded part.

2.  Whites bear more of the tax burden because once again they make up the majority.  When hispanics or whatever group becomes the majority they will bear the brunt of the taxes.  And taxes doesn't really have anything to do with race anyway it's income and class.

I agree that it is more a function of income than race, but my point was that since whites tend to make more - and the tea party is comprised of of people who are somewhat richer and better educated than the average person - it's natural that the tea party should be whiter than society at large.

3.  I asked because I was curious who you voted for and why.

K, kewl.

4.  In a earlier post I said we have to wait and see but I thought that tea party candidates would not be able to win any major elections simply because they would split the republican party and because they don't make up enough of the population and at the moment I right according to at least one poll.

"Only 13 percent of American voters say they are part of the Tea Party movement, a group that has more women than men; is mainly white and Republican and voted for John McCain, and strongly supports Sarah Palin"

"While voters say 44 - 39 percent that they will vote for a Republican over a Democratic candidate in this November's Congressional elections, if there is a Tea Party candidate on the ballot, the Democrat would get 36 percent to the Republican's 25 percent, with 15 percent for the Tea Party candidate, the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University poll finds".

So a third party splits the vote? Well, knock me over with a feather. The tea party, however, is not a party unto itself, so this is entirely hypothetical.

Final-Fan said:
Kasz216 said:
I've already shown in this thread Rausserman is the most accurate source when you compare real data despite them skewing right when you compare surveys.  In otherwords... polling skews towards a liberal perspective.  By comparing multiple sources, you end up with a liberal viewpoint.

I've heard that Rasmussen skewed right all through election season, but when the big night drew nigh it came more in line with the others -- that being the point at which you are judging them and they were closest.  Not true? 

Yeah you are right I actually saw where Rasmussen skewed right all through the election process.  That is one of the reasons why fox news would always quote it and they would imply that the election would be closer than most polls indicated which turned out to be false. Rasmussen is no more accurate than any other poll in my opinion.   

lostintheodyssey said:
Kasz216 said:
lostintheodyssey said:
Kasz216 said:
lostintheodyssey said:
makingmusic476 said:
lostintheodyssey said:

All you have to do is look at history most people don't seem to act right unless they have the federal government breathing down their neck. 

How can you expect a government elected by and consisting of the people to be morally superior to the general public?  If a majority of the people don't want to act this way, then why are they electing officials that will force them to act this way?

Well if you have noticed most candidates don't give away where they stand on the issues until they get elected.  They take a middle of the road approach and they also switch positions on a issue sometime after getting elected.  When Lincoln got elected even though he didn't approve of slavery he said he would not end it he just wouldn't allow it to spread to the new territories.  After the civil war started due to south carolina trying to secede from the union he saw an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone by using the war to free the slaves.

But you asked a good question and it does happen.  In recent years polls have shown that most americans are in favor of legislation that prevents illegal immigration and terrorists from coming in to the country even if it discriminates against hispanics and people of arab descent.  Of course the federal government isn't going to pass any legislation that discriminates on those groups though.

Polls have recently came out saying that most americans approve of the immigration bill in arizona even though it has gotten a lot of opposition the majority seem to support it.  A few days ago Obama mentioned that discrimination shouldn't be considered acceptable when trying to capture illegal immigrants so go figure.

So... we can trust these people to do good... because they lie to us directly to our faces when they want us to vote for them?

That's your arguement. 

Also, you should REALLY do some research on Lincoln... because your interpretation of why he got rid of slavery... is just kinda funny.

I said they take a middle of the road approach until they get elected not giving away their positions.  For example candidates say they are for family values which sounds good but they haven't given anything away about what those values are.  They say they are for education and reform which are populist messages but they give absolutely nothing away about what they are going to do.  While they do that they also try to show that they are the most qualified for the position that's why governors tout that they have executive experience running their respective states.  Some tout a expansive educational background to show that they have intellectual capacity to take on tough challenges.

Which part about Lincoln did I get wrong?  Was it the part where I said he intially made the civil war about preserving the union or was it the part where I said he seized the opportunity to free the slaves?

The "seized the oppurtunity to free the slaves" part.  He didn't do it because he wanted to save the slaves.  He did it beacuse it was a political gambit that forced the British and French to withhold support from the south.  By reframing the Civil War about slavery he kept foreign support out of the war.

Lincoln didn't give a damn about the slaves, thought they were inferior, and planned to send them all back to Africa.

I admit I'm a little rusty in my US history it's been years but you sound rusty yourself.  Lincoln campaigned to stop the expansion of slavery and he thought slavery would eventually die out on its own.  He also considered negotiating with the states to buy out all of the slaves those points I do remember.

Now to your point about him making it about slavery to keep foreign support away you are just wrong.  True the confederate  wanted support from Britain and France but the United States warned them that if they supported the confederacy it would mean war with the united states and since the us had a formidable navy they would cut off the shipment of supplies to and from Britain.

In fact this is a large part of the reason the  North beat the south they toke over ports and blocking the movement of supplies I believe it was called the ananconda plan.

Finally if he didn't care about the slaves he would have said slavery is allowed to expand in to new territories and he wouldn't have considered buying out the slaves from the slave owners. 

Nah, i'm not rusty on it at all. 

You think the British and French were afraid of the US Navy?  Seriously?  Either one of their Navy's would of worked over the US Navy something fierce.

The reason he didn't allow slavery to expand is because he was from a free state.  Free states and Slave states were fighting for control of the union because the northerners were putting huge tarrifs on goods the south wanted to buy for Europe that they used in their argicultural trades.  So the South would instead be forced to buy from the Industrial North.

By stopping the expansion of slavery in the west you were creating more "Free Industrial" states... which means the "Free Industrial" states would win out and the Tarrifs would remain in place.

It was a pure economic and political move.  Like most moves politicians make when they claim morality.  The actual morality of the action is purely incidental.

If you study him, you'll realize he thought that black people could never be integrated in white society.  He didn't want to free the slaves... he wanted to kick them out of the country.

I'm bored with the "tea party", I'd like to see some kind of a platform from. . . somebody. And no "I'm mad as hell!" is not a platform. Neither is "smaller government", it's a general concept, but these people just sound like they're just bitching in general. Ehh. . . well, if they get a few more republicans out of their seats, cool with me.

Kasz216 said:
lostintheodyssey said:
Kasz216 said:
lostintheodyssey said:
Kasz216 said:
lostintheodyssey said:
makingmusic476 said:
lostintheodyssey said:

That's your arguement. 

Nah, i'm not rusty on it at all. 

You think the British and French were afraid of the US Navy?  Seriously?  Either one of their Navy's would of worked over the US Navy something fierce.

The reason he didn't allow slavery to expand is because he was from a free state.  Free states and Slave states were fighting for control of the union because the northerners were putting huge tarrifs on goods the south wanted to buy for Europe that they used in their argicultural trades.  So the South would instead be forced to buy from the Industrial North.

By stopping the expansion of slavery in the west you were creating more "Free Industrial" states... which means the "Free Industrial" states would win out and the Tarrifs would remain in place.

It was a pure economic and political move.  Like most moves politicians make when they claim morality.  The actual morality of the action is purely incidental.

If you study him, you'll realize he thought that black people could never be integrated in white society.  He didn't want to free the slaves... he wanted to kick them out of the country.

I'm not saying you are wrong but do you have a link to prove he believed that black people could never be integrated in white society and wanted to kick them out of the country? I have never heard of this before I remember hearing Liberia or some place similar to it was set up to give slaves an option to go back to Africa if they wanted to.

I agree with you that most moves are economic and political.  George Washington, Franklin, and others wanted to break away from Britain because of those motives you mentioned even though most people in the colonies were perfectly happy being ruled by Britain.