By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Sony get out of the console race if Move is not successful?

Spedfrom said:
Neither Move nor Natal will be wildly successful, I predict.

Yeah i dont really see girlfriends and grandmas picking up the natal or move. but if the move is unsuccessful and natal is successful then i dont think sony will quit. they'll continue to support the PS3 brand for the next few years and they wont release another console.

even though it looks like sony is about to cross the 360 threshold, and natal wont change that. but the rumoured 360 slim with a new price point could. by the way does anyone have any ideas how situation would change with a 360 slim and natal bundled/ new price point??

Around the Network
Billy Gun said:
phinch1 said:
Sony will not leave the console race, just because there not doing as well this gen as they did last gen or the gen before. Isn't this only there second year to post a loss? and now they are starting to profit, it would be stupid to quit when they have so much ahead of them.

It's as silly as saying will Microsoft leave if Natal fails.

No, since Ps3 Sony game division only lost money

http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-losses-since-ps3-launch-near-5-billion-report

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/godofwariii/news.html?sid=6262351

The problem is that the game divison was ony of the most profitable divisions in Sony.

I realy don't think that Move will be a disaster or make Sony get out of the console race, I think that Sony learned their lesson, they will make a cheapper console next time (I hope).

So Sony lost 4.7 billion since launch it also says Microsoft lost 4.2 billion neither of those statistics are good numbers for either company and neither of them are quitting!! hens why I said It was silly

The PS3 is in a good spot ever since the price drop and the PS Move will just increase sales. It's going to end up attracting a younger and older audience like the Wii but as long as the Move titles are good and not rubbish like the Wiis shovelware (redneck shooting...) then yeah it'll be great.

Proud owner of the PSone original, PSone slim, PS2 slim, PS3 slim, PSP-3000.

37 PS3 games and counting.

phinch1 said:
Billy Gun said:
phinch1 said:
Sony will not leave the console race, just because there not doing as well this gen as they did last gen or the gen before. Isn't this only there second year to post a loss? and now they are starting to profit, it would be stupid to quit when they have so much ahead of them.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-losses-since-ps3-launch-near-5-billion-report

The problem is that the game divison was ony of the most profitable divisions in Sony.

I realy don't think that Move will be a disaster or make Sony get out of the console race, I think that Sony learned their lesson, they will make a cheapper console next time (I hope).

So Sony lost 4.7 billion since launch it also says Microsoft lost 4.2 billion neither of those statistics are good numbers for either company and neither of them are quitting!! hens why I said It was silly

Microsoft has more money to lose than Sony, the company as a whole posted usual profits in the previous years, thanks to Windows,  even when Sony posted a billion dollar loss that could be all traced back to the PS3. 

They might have started making a profit, but at the moment, it is barely in the black, and whenever the profits would grow they will be pushed to cut the price. It is impossible for them to recover the lost 5 billion, or even its majority in this generation.

The only reason why a company would keep a money-sinking segment is that they hope returns in the future. Seeing that the PS3 already lost the majority of the money that they earned in the previous two playstation generations, it is not unlikely that one of their last hopes is that the Move would give momentum for a next, more successful generation. 

I personally think that even if it will fail, they will try at least one other trick than that, before quiting.

Haha joke thread

Around the Network

yes

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Alterego-X said:
phinch1 said:
Billy Gun said:
phinch1 said:

Microsoft has more money to lose than Sony, the company as a whole posted usual profits in the previous years, thanks to Windows,  even when Sony posted a billion dollar loss that could be all traced back to the PS3. 

They might have started making a profit, but at the moment, it is barely in the black, and whenever the profits would grow they will be pushed to cut the price. It is impossible for them to recover the lost 5 billion, or even its majority in this generation.

The only reason why a company would keep a money-sinking segment is that they hope returns in the future. Seeing that the PS3 already lost the majority of the money that they earned in the previous two playstation generations, it is not unlikely that one of their last hopes is that the Move would give momentum for a next, more successful generation. 

I personally think that even if it will fail, they will try at least one other trick than that, before quiting.

Its started to make profit though now, it can't do them anymore harm only good, they've pulled through the toughest part after their mistake so they will keep it till its stops selling in the years to come and make back what they can. I'm just saying a question like "will sony pull out if move fails" a stupid ass coment

I doubt sony has much hope on move... at least I hope they don't...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

I am trying to resist the urge to post a message asking if Atari would GET BACK into the videogame market if Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo leave, due to motion control being seen as a fad and the videogame indusrty collapsing as a result.

phinch1 said:

Its started to make profit though now, it can't do them anymore harm only good, they've pulled through the toughest part after their mistake so they will keep it till its stops selling in the years to come and make back what they can. I'm just saying a question like "will sony pull out if move fails" a stupid ass coment

If you mean "as soon as Move shows signs of failure, Sony will abandon their entire gaming segment", of course it is silly. 

For the record, I didn't intend to come off as agree with the trollish OP, I'm just saying that if the next generation won't be more successful, than they might reconsider launching new PS generations after that, and the success of Move could be an important factor in that.