By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Does it again... Three Weeks Running (In Japan)

Yojimbo said:
Psycho1984 said:
What I find funny is that when the Wii was completely destroying the PS3 in Japan, Sony fanboys started to mention how the Japanese market was becoming irrelevant and small compared to the other 2, but now that the PS3 manage to sell relatively well for 3 big weeks, it doesn't seem to be so irrelevant now.........Just a remark ;)

Otherwise, let's see, we will know in 2 or 3 weeks, for now, the PS3 is surfing on another price cut and the new white model, plus 2 bigs games that were just released, with the sales of the last 49 weeks, we will probably see the Wii sales skyrocket during the Holidays. It will be interesting to see if PS3 sales will manage to stay that high, that would be a great accomplishment compared to the whole year.
I thought it was the Wiifans who said that because of the Mario Galaxy sales :D

No they said the market was nothing but handhelds, instead of irrelevant.  It was definetly the Sony fans stating the entire market was irrelevant.

My statement for it, which I got a few agreements from, is that the market was in a short term diminishing returns caused by heightened DS sales on the market for almost 2 years, and then heightened Wii sales for about a year.  Something that was very plausible in Japan, which itself was sustaining sales of DS on levels of that of other regions, yet half the market size of it.  And take note if the top brandname, which is the DS, goes into diminishing returns then so does the entire market.  That was my reasoning for the dropoffs being as random as they were, as really it makes sense.  Saying the market was in anyway irrelevant or simply nothing but handheld(although it seems to be more dominated by handhelds now) is simply not true. 

Around the Network

@ leo-j

I know, this Psycho guy is really psycho (pun)

DMeisterJ said:
@ Zucas

No you are persistent. You've posted what you said twice. You can have an opinion. But don't openly hate on the site that you are posting on. I didn't say you had to stop posting here... just a suggestion before you do get banned for talking bad about the site.

No actually you did say I should stop posting here.  Don't try and say something then totally contradict yourself in the next post.  I don't let people go off easy.  

And if I get banned for speaking my mind, openly and persistenly, then this site is run by fools.  

I don't know who is right with sales.  Famitsu, Media Create, or VGC.  They are all estimates in the end.  But MC has been tracking Japanese sales for over 15 years now, and somehow I think that deserves some kind of notice.  

It's quite impressive that PS3 has achieved this three weeks in a row. No one would have expected this at all so soon after Galaxy was released. But considering the million and one price drops, a new color model (and the way PSP sales shot up when lite was released it shows how much Japanese love new models) it is not all that impressive. I think there is still alot of work for PS3 to do bearing in mind Wii has the new colors to come and price drops. Still looks like PS3 is in for a rough ride in Japan, but at least it looks like it still has a chance to come out on top there which is much much more than can be said about the US & to a lesser extent Europe.

etuoyo said:
It's quite impressive that PS3 has achieved this three weeks in a row. No one would have expected this at all so soon after Galaxy was released. But considering the million and one price drops, a new color model (and the way PSP sales shot up when lite was released it shows how much Japanese love new models) it is not all that impressive. I think there is still alot of work for PS3 to do bearing in mind Wii has the new colors to come and price drops. Still looks like PS3 is in for a rough ride in Japan, but at least it looks like it still has a chance to come out on top there which is much much more than can be said about the US & to a lesser extent Europe.

PSP sales is different, because the console is some people will buy a second one in a different colour, and certainly in the UK, there were schemes were you could get a discount by trading in your old one.

Around the Network

@ Zucas. No. If you quote me I said, "Stop posting here if you don't trust the numbers and are going to badmouth the site". There was a stipulation there. I didn't contradict myself, I clarified. But take it how you want. You shouldn't post here, and then say the numbers arent right.

Just hit the comparison charts, and these three weeks have been quite good for the PS of 3. Before, the PS3 was on exactly the same trend as the Gamecube, but just with less sales. Provided that this spike can be upheld(which one presumes during the lead up to christmas) the PS3 should overtake Gamecube sales in about a month.

And I'm not comparing the PS3 to the Gamecube as an insult or to make a point. I'm just looking at a console that was selling similar numbers in their respective life cycles.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

etuoyo said:

Yes it's definetly showing a brighter light at the end of the tunnel, than the previous total darkness as it was 2 months ago.  But still a long way to go for PS3.  As even if it sold at 50k persistently in non holiday weeks for the rest of 2008, it'd still need Wii sales to be below 10k for it to come close to catching up.  And with Wii Fit, SSBB, and Mario Kart all coming out later this year or sometime in 2008, it'll be hard to get Wii sales at that low, not to mention outsell it.  Right now this 2007 holiday in Japan should be an interesting one.  PS3 has got its last big game out for the year with Winning Eleven 2008.  Wii still has Wii Fit.  So going to be interesting to see who gets the most in holidays and carries it on in 2008.  Either Wii will regain itself and have a big 2008 and leave PS3 in the dust, or they'll start to get more around the same sales, or PS3 and Wii will match.  Who knows.  Right now with the Japanese market, I'm up for anything as its been full of surprises.

DMeisterJ said:
@ Zucas. No. If you quote me I said, "Stop posting here if you don't trust the numbers and are going to badmouth the site". There was a stipulation there. I didn't contradict myself, I clarified. But take it how you want. You shouldn't post here, and then say the numbers arent right.

You are continuosly telling me that if I don't like the numbers not to be here.  It's like your bipolar and your fighting within yourself.  "if you don't like numbers than leave, but I'm not saying you shouldn't leave just an option, but you don't like the numbers so leave".  I mean bro what is it.  Either way I'm here to stay, but seriously its one or the other.

impressed shows improvement if anything else.. earlier this year noone woulda thought this possible with only one game coming out capable of it

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732