By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Analyst: DS to becaome the best selling console by October or November

Boutros,

Actually, you are wrong. The controllers for each console are part of the Hardware. Therefore the Wii remote and Nunchuck offers a different experience than the game pads of the Xbox 360 and the PS3.

Without the Wii controller, games like Wii sports and Wii sports Resort would not have been developed.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

Around the Network
rajendra82 said:

To me the DS beating PS2 is not all that impressive. Almost any family with multiple kids is going to have multiple DSs, and we actually have more than that for the times we are playing. Once one has a PS2, there is almost no need to get another unless the first one breaks. The DS has also gone through four hardware iterations and ships in multiple color versions of each, causing more sales for people who want to update or switch the looks. The PS2 on the other hand only had two major versions, and only shipped in a far fewer number of colors for each.

Almost any family with multiple kids is going to have multiple PSPs, and we actually have more than that for the times we are playing. Once one has a PS2, there is almost no need to get another unless the first one breaks. The PSP has also gone through four hardware iterations and ships in multiple color versions of each, causing more sales for people who want to update or switch the looks. The PS2 on the other hand only had two major versions, and only shipped in a far fewer number of colors for each. Yet the PSP is not on the verge of outselling the PS2. The DS on the other hand is and that is impressive.

This is not meant to be offensive.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

patjuan32 said:
Boutros,

Actually, you are wrong. The controllers for each console are part of the Hardware. Therefore the Wii remote and Nunchuck offers a different experience than the game pads of the Xbox 360 and the PS3.

Without the Wii controller, games like Wii sports and Wii sports Resort would not have been developed.

Yes but then again it depends on the game. The Wii remote and the Nunchuck are oftenly used as a simple controller without motion, just like in NSMBWii.

But it's true that the Wii is different.

patjuan32 said:
rajendra82 said:

To me the DS beating PS2 is not all that impressive. Almost any family with multiple kids is going to have multiple DSs, and we actually have more than that for the times we are playing. Once one has a PS2, there is almost no need to get another unless the first one breaks. The DS has also gone through four hardware iterations and ships in multiple color versions of each, causing more sales for people who want to update or switch the looks. The PS2 on the other hand only had two major versions, and only shipped in a far fewer number of colors for each.

Almost any family with multiple kids is going to have multiple PSPs, and we actually have more than that for the times we are playing. Once one has a PS2, there is almost no need to get another unless the first one breaks. The PSP has also gone through four hardware iterations and ships in multiple color versions of each, causing more sales for people who want to update or switch the looks. The PS2 on the other hand only had two major versions, and only shipped in a far fewer number of colors for each. Yet the PSP is not on the verge of outselling the PS2. The DS on the other hand is and that is impressive.

Not impressive? Beating the former "king" in 4 years less time? ok...

Since it is pretty clear that DS is going to surpass the global sales of PS2, we've seen what will be the official line of thinking of the nay-sayers : the DS is not in the same market.

It started a whole back ago, when DS surpassed PS2 in Japan.

In this Thread, Boutros is doing the job ... Simple as that ! what is beautiful is that, except "It's my thinking and that's all", he does not need an argument. 10+ post in this thread : that has to be important.

On topic : the DS, the little console that could. kudos to you !

Around the Network
oli2 said:
Since it is pretty clear that DS is going to surpass the global sales of PS2, we've seen what will be the official line of thinking of the nay-sayers : the DS is not in the same market.

In this Thread, Boutros is doing the job ... Simple as that ! what is beautiful is that, except "It's my thinking and that's all", he does not need an argument. 10+ post in this thread : that has to be important.

I don't really give a hoot whether it passes the PS2 in terms of sales, that's not the point. All I'm saying is that you need to compare apples with apples.

And I stated plenty of arguments. You might want to look again.

Yay for Nintendo DS .

Ponders why everyone is arguing with one guys opinion. Who cares? Its his thoughts whether they are facts or not.

Boutros said:
oli2 said:

I don't really give a hoot whether it passes the PS2 in terms of sales, that's not the point. All I'm saying is that you need to compare apples with apples.

Look, you can argue all day that the DS isn't on the same 'level' as the PS2.  Yes, they aren't the same thing.  One is a console and the other is a handheld.

But the fact is, especially in Japan, that in this generation, the DS has taken up a lot of the major genres and sales that the PS2 had last gen.  That's why its going to break the record of sales the PS2 (and NES) previously held.  Why do you think so many companies are putting major titles on the system, where they previously put them on the PS2?  Dragon Quest, Okami, Metal Slug, Disgaea, Grand Theft Auto, Guitar Hero, Kingdom Hearts, etc.  In effect, the DS has become the major breadwinner for multiple companies this gen.  Just like the PS2 last gen.

And might I point out, if Handhelds and Consoles are so seperate and this isn't such an amazing feat, why didn't the GBA surpass the PS2 in sales?

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Boutros said:
oli2 said:

Look, you can argue all day that the DS isn't on the same 'level' as the PS2.  Yes, they aren't the same thing.  One is a console and the other is a handheld.

But the fact is, especially in Japan, that in this generation, the DS has taken up a lot of the major genres and sales that the PS2 had last gen.  That's why its going to break the record of sales the PS2 (and NES) previously held.  Why do you think so many companies are putting major titles on the system, where they previously put them on the PS2?  Dragon Quest, Okami, Metal Slug, Disgaea, Grand Theft Auto, Guitar Hero, Kingdom Hearts, etc.  In effect, the DS has become the major breadwinner for multiple companies this gen.  Just like the PS2 last gen.

And might I point out, if Handhelds and Consoles are so seperate and this isn't such an amazing feat, why didn't the GBA surpass the PS2 in sales?

The DS selling so much is a very big achievement and I've never said otherwise.

And I don't have the answer for everything.

patjuan32 said:
rajendra82 said:

Not evey hadheld is successful.  Some fail.  When (if) the Wii beats the PS2, I'll consider that a much greater achivement than when the DS beats the PS2.  The Wii would have done it one sale per home at a time, and with no hardware iterations.  The DS is a great success, yes, but relatively not as great as PS2 was for its time.