By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - To those who don't understand my 60 million in 2008 prediction

DMeisterJ said:
Some very valid points made in this thread but we're forgetting one thing the software. If the Wii becomes the DVD of this decade, the most people that are going to have bought it will be the "mainstream", in other words, the people not buying it to play Zelda, Smash Bros., No More Heroes, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, or any remotely "hardcore" game. They will be the ones buying Wii Sports (Not in America) Wii Play, Wii Fit, and many of the Wii-branded casual games. Not that that's bad for Nintendo, but it is bad for Wii Owners when devs catch on to make casual games and the hardcore games go to the PS3 or 360 or nowhere because Nintendo takes them out of business. Then we're stuck playing Wii Sports until our eyes fall out.

Don't worry, won't happen.  The core gamer is a very lucrative market. They buy a LOT of games, and expensive ones at that.  A lot of the current developers will always cater to this crowd, they know it, understand it and it has made them rich.  There is no need for them to change.  Take Two will continue to make Bioshocks and GTAs.  However companies like THQ might give up on games like 'Conan' and focus on the casual market. But do you really care about losing substandard, rush-out, unfinished games?

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
Some very valid points made in this thread but we're forgetting one thing the software. If the Wii becomes the DVD of this decade, the most people that are going to have bought it will be the "mainstream", in other words, the people not buying it to play Zelda, Smash Bros., No More Heroes, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, or any remotely "hardcore" game. They will be the ones buying Wii Sports (Not in America) Wii Play, Wii Fit, and many of the Wii-branded casual games. Not that that's bad for Nintendo, but it is bad for Wii Owners when devs catch on to make casual games and the hardcore games go to the PS3 or 360 or nowhere because Nintendo takes them out of business. Then we're stuck playing Wii Sports until our eyes fall out.

Go to a bookstore and tell me if there is only one genre of books on the shelf

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
DMeisterJ said:

or go to television programing for that matter.  or movies.  

well maybe 45mill just maybe at end of 2008'

Wii Friendcode - 6327 2612 7683 5724

feel free to add me whenever (just PM me to let me know)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Gamerace said:
"You make some interesting points, some are valid, Nintendo's biggest achille's heel at this point is its supply chain, and others will try to flock to Nintendo's profits, but only Nintendo understands how to be a disruptor in the VG market, how to zig when everyone else zags"

One word - iphone

iphone is evolutionary and very much expected, its not a disruptive move

Okay - ipod.  That was extremely distruptive and from a company with no prior presence in the music scene.

Besides, they don't need to be disruptive, once the ocean opens up it's there for the taking.

Around the Network

When John Luca speaks, everyone listens. Anyways I could see 60 million by the end of 2008 really happening. If Nintendo keeps producing at their levels and stockpiles what they don't sell then yes. I feel that if they have 50 million in extra stock by next Christmas they could sell it all. They question is how long they want to keep up production levels at 1.8 million. My guess is that they will be confident to hold those levels for at least till April. The post-Christmas rush will go into February. Then you have Brawl in February. Wiifit will have made an appearance by then. Kart in Spring. It all depends if Nintendo properly markets Wiifit. I don't see them lowering production levels until June next year if at all.

DMeisterJ said:

If the Wii sells as much as, or more than, the PS2 nothing you just said matters....look at the PS2, most of it's games were awful, but the great ones were still made, when you have a userbase as massive as that as long as the game you make isnt total shite it doesn't matter what genre it is if you are trying to make a profit.

And nothing...NOTHING. except when the time is right will stop Nintendo releasing more Zelda/Smash Bros with each new system and by "time is right" i don't mean what the market is like (unless it totally fails, which it won't) i mean when Nintendo feel they are not complimenting or adding anything to the previous incarnations.
Look for instance how incredibly successful Wii sports is, yet Nintendo are not even planning a sequel (i really hope they do...maybe late 2009-2010)

kitler53 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
DMeisterJ said:

or go to television programing for that matter.  or movies.  

I don't follow.  I don't know what you mean in reference to my post @_@

shrimpy_boy11 said:
well maybe 45mill just maybe at end of 2008'

No way only 45 million. They will be at 20 million by January at the latest. And they will be at 30 million by May. They are also planning to expand to China next year from what I recall so there is a large chance that they won't decrease production next year at all. So lets say they can produce at least 2 million a month all next year. Then 60 million may end up being the minimum.

I guess I should rephrase what I'm saying. The PS2 winning last gen was different. It wasn't marketed as a "casual" gaming machinge, it had many more "hardcore" games. It's highest selling game wasn't a casual game but GTA, the most hated game of most of the mainstream Nintendo is seeking. My post was to point out that by the system's highest selling game being a casual one, developers may believe that casual games sell better than hardcore games (Which is true, Wii Play, Wii Sports, and if John Lucas is right, Wii Fit) which will cement that Nintendo will be seen as a casual game system by devs and then they will make casual games for the systems. I don't think that Mario, Smash, and Zelda will die, but I do think it will be a ton more casual games than now if the Wii hits those kinds of numbers and PS3 and 360 lack to grow in the wake of the Wii.