By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - To those who don't understand my 60 million in 2008 prediction

I used the PS2 as an example because it had multiple system sellers and i don`t know if the Wii will have them.

I know that if the price goes to 199$ it will sell even better, but the question is to whom: the casual or the hardcore gamer?
I don`t really know if the has been as succesful as the NDS in reaching non gamers. With the NDS i remember Nintendo talking (and showing with real numbers) about how more girls and grown-ups bought the NDS and the so called non-games. Thing is, i haven`t seen that with the Wii.
How do we know that the Wii is selling to casual gamers?

Around the Network

I believe I saw Wii demographics firues that showed Wii had much higher female ownership then other consoles, I think somone on this site posted them

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

although i think ninty actually cant pull this off anyways (vg still isnt big enough, i think the wii might be the catalyst for the next gen), the reason i dont think it will happen is because of production. its not that ninty cant produce that many, but they wont. if they think 1.8 million is still reasonable at this point (which they say is a lot, but they should be thinking much higher at this point) than in no way will it double.

i can understand 30 million in 2008 as a high prediction, but anything above that isnt possible due to ninty themselves.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Délio said:
I used the PS2 as an example because it had multiple system sellers and i don`t know if the Wii will have them.

I know that if the price goes to 199$ it will sell even better, but the question is to whom: the casual or the hardcore gamer?
I don`t really know if the has been as succesful as the NDS in reaching non gamers. With the NDS i remember Nintendo talking (and showing with real numbers) about how more girls and grown-ups bought the NDS and the so called non-games. Thing is, i haven`t seen that with the Wii.

They released numbers... I wanna say at the E for Everyone show.  I think it was around the time of the TGS but they didn't go to the TGS.

It was quite positive actually.

Oh come on guys think. Why would Nintendo drop the price of the Wii if it's selling well. Your sitting here telling me Wii will sell 40 million in 2008 and will obviously sell out. But they are also going to drop the price. WHY? That makes no sense. If its going to sellout then why are you going to drop the price. Now you make $50 less in profit. That makes no sense.

It only makes sense if your suggesting that Wii won't sell out in 2008, but the pricedrop will get it back on top. But then the numbers your suggesting are even harder to believ.e I don't like that discrepency.

Around the Network
Zucas said:
Oh come on guys think. Why would Nintendo drop the price of the Wii if it's selling well. Your sitting here telling me Wii will sell 40 million in 2008 and will obviously sell out. But they are also going to drop the price. WHY? That makes no sense. If its going to sellout then why are you going to drop the price. Now you make $50 less in profit. That makes no sense.

It only makes sense if your suggesting that Wii won't sell out in 2008, but the pricedrop will get it back on top. But then the numbers your suggesting are even harder to believ.e I don't like that discrepency.

Simple if it tapers off at $250, or they need to launch in new regions like China and India, where price is more important to the consumers

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Well right now the Wii is doubling sales of the PS2 in the same aount of time, so unless Wii sales fall off a cliff there is no doubt it'll catch the PS2 in about three years

Crazy talk! For that top happen the Wii would have to sell over twice what it has this year (40 million) for the next 3 years in a row. And thats if the PS2 never sells another unit, in reality it gonna have to be 45m+ for the next 3 years to surpass the PS2. Nintendo would have to more than double the production we have right now! Is that really going to happen? I think not.

Délio said:
As much as i like seeing big numbers being thrown around for Wii and how it`s selling better than PS2 so far, i don`t know if Wii will even reach 40m in 2008.
PS2 sold that well because it had great exclusives that could sell the console.
Does Wii have that? I can only see SSBB, Mario Kart and Wii Fit, but, in my opinion, those will be released in the first semester of 2008. What then? What will sell Wiis during the Christmas of 2008?

Actually, my biggest concern has always been because of 2008. Nintendo will eventually meet demand next year. What games will be there to sell the system even more?

If you or anyone think they know which games are gonna sell the most and become system sellars for the Wii as of yet then sorry but you're mistaken. If anyone had said to you so early in the DS's lifetime that they'll be a game about a dog that you train etc (talking about Nintendogs for who didn't pick up the clues) and thats it and it'll put every big hitter to shame in terms of having legs and selling systems - would you have believed them?

We're in a very early stage with a system that forces every developer to add creativity above everything else into their attempts - on a system if nothing else that will punish poor attempts in terms of sales.  I see this as a very good thing and think by this time next year we'll be seeing some completley different games for Wii when people have nailed the controls, know what sells and are launching their 3rd Wii title.

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

Anything the PS2 can do the Wii can do better, no it can't, yes it can, no it can't, yes it can, no it can't, YES IT CAAAAAAN!!!!!!111one

This much market share mixed with this much market expansion can only lead to this much industry disruption, and it's already happening. You seen the numbers on the front page? It's not even December.

Also, Nintendo doesn't start their hype trains 10 years in advance. Mario Kart just got announced and the ONLY details we have are that it has 12 player online, online battle mode, some old and new tracks, motorcycles, and stunts for bonuses. They'll announce all the real shit right before it comes out, and then once Mario Kart, Wii Fit, and Brawl are out there dominating, they'll announce whatever new shit they have up their sleeve. I'm waiting for a Mario Golf with Wii controls myself. That'll be sick. Could have some crazy new casual stuff in the vein of Wii Sports/Play/Music/Fit that shakes everything up all over again. We have no idea.

The point is, with this much momentum, Nintendo would have to work really really hard to fuck this up. Maybe they could hire Sony's current PR...

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Kasz216 said:
Délio said:

They released numbers... I wanna say at the E for Everyone show.  I think it was around the time of the TGS but they didn't go to the TGS.

It was quite positive actually.

I didn`t know that. I`ll see if i can find something.

Thanks!

@gawalls: I don`t know what games are gonna sell the Wii in the second semester, i don`t think anyone has a clear idea about that either. That`s why i rather wait and see if someone announces those games that can make the Wii sell a lot before i say that the Wii will sell millions and millions. The Wii may be very popular but in the end it`s ALL about the games.