By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo’s No-Transfer Policy Could Burn Wii’s Biggest Fans

Kasz216 said:
Khuutra said:
Kasz216 said:
It is silly. I don't know why they don't have a Steam like system. I mean it causes more buys... because then space isn't an option... who needs an SD solution when you can just delete games and redownload them later as you need.

You already can do that part.

You can?  Weird... I thought you couldn't hence the need for the SD solution.

It makes it even more perplexing that they don't have it tied to accounts.

They introduced the SD solution precisely because people found deleting and redownloading things to be an unacceptable alternative. You have an account, it's just that that account *is* your system.

I think this is all for simplicity purposes, actually, much like friend codes, Nintendo's making it simpler to get into yet much harder to do well. With friend codes you've got to work for a long time getting your friends registered, but to just get online initially you just have to synch up to your network and go, no credit card stuff, no account setup, go. Likewise with this, you just get your Wii online, buy some points, and download, but it gets complicated later on when you want to start manuevering things.

I think Nintendo is going to be forced to implement some sort of solution. I couldn't imagine even them just saying "sorry, you can't move them, but you can still play them on your Wii, at least." Like others here have speculated, i bet they'll line it up with Club Nintendo accounts, where you just register your system's serial number on Club Nintendo and then when you start up the N6, you'll have an option to link to a Club Nintendo account (which may very well be the basis for a proper account system on their part anyway)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Another problem is : I can't copy all of my saved games from my Wii to my SD card. I looked at the problem a fex days ago, because i decided to back up all saves for my games, but I coudn't copy my MK Wii saves, neither my MH3 save. The copy option is greyed.

Have you guys the same issue ?

wow that is so fucked. im glad i havent purchased anything. i was just thinking yesterday about starting to purchase some things.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

blunty51 said:
If this happens to me, I will buy a new Wii, sell all my game discs, and pirate the hell out of everything. Go tell mommy and daddy.

Wait, don't say the word pirate around here or they'll try to crucify you like Jesus,lol.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Killy_Vorkosigan said:
Another problem is : I can't copy all of my saved games from my Wii to my SD card. I looked at the problem a fex days ago, because i decided to back up all saves for my games, but I coudn't copy my MK Wii saves, neither my MH3 save. The copy option is greyed.

Have you guys the same issue ?

they have copy protection because of the online play, so you can't just download a perfect game save and use it.

Around the Network
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
blunty51 said:
If this happens to me, I will buy a new Wii, sell all my game discs, and pirate the hell out of everything. Go tell mommy and daddy.

Wait, don't say the word pirate around here or they'll try to crucify you like Jesus,lol.

It's too late for me...

*reads last rights*

the only reason to transfer would be if it broke. if you want to do it just cuz you want a black one then you have more problems then not being able to transfer.

1. Part of the article is wrong in that it is very easy to get data transferred under repair scenarios.

2. Nintendo will have to do something by the time 3DS launches as I'd expect it to also dl games. If they do not and they don't do it for the sequel to the Wii, then they are in for some seriously negative letters from me. To be backwards compatible, it must allow the redownloading of the dlc.

I don't mind it being tied to the system, but there has to be path forward for later hardware.

I agree with superchunk. They had best find a solution for the Wiiteration. I don't expect them to have PC like online experience. I'm find with that it doesn't bother me that much, but I don't want to crowd my TV with Wii and Wii2 keeping the WiiWare/VC games on the Wii. Though keep in mind the fix may be doable. Just a thought off my head.

Connect the Wii2 and Wii with a USB cable. New Wii firmware detects Wii2. The Wii2 swap ID and data with the Wii. Complete swap not a copy. So the Wii now has the Wii2 info. This erases the content and license access to the online shop making it all Wii2. While keeping the Wii2 having the old Wii account information. I think Nintendo should just implements this. It's a cheap alternative to what they aren't doing or the expensive way to do it.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Snesboy said:
makingmusic476 said:
Monteblanco said:
I don't think this was an oversight. I think Nintendo didn't want to introduce an account system fearing it would be too intimidating to non-core players. I believe they were fully aware this was problematic but they choose to to keep the interface as simple as they could.

If so, I think Nintendo needs to stop treating its consumer base like total idiots.  >_>

But I doubt they go with things like friend codes because they're simple.

I remember when I called them up saying my Wii won't read my GameCube/Wii discs and they asked me if I was putting the discs in logo side up. And I asked them, you got to be kidding me. Then asked them, do you know what "Revolution" is?

When they didn't have an answer, I was like, there ya go.

EDIT: I love the pic of the 8 year old driving a car while playing DS.

What makes you think people haven't tried putting it in the wrong way?

And whoever posted the picture instructions, that isn't for idiots. That's called being clear and simple. That's like calling street signs for idiots. Those things are for people who don't care to read complex instructions and just want to play the games. It's also the same reason GUI took off for operating systems, not command lines.

Finally, the article claims it is impossible, which is flat-out false. Nintendo from the beginning stated you can re-download your stuff for the new system. Even if you don't like that method, it's still a method, which is more than the article claimed.

BTW, why the hell would you sell a perfectly working system just because of this? It's not as though it's neon orange.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs