By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Summary of Iwata's Investor Q&A - 3DS name coming soon

The following are statements, or summaries of statements from Satoru Iwata at a financial briefing...

NOTE: The full English transcript will become available soon.

On the 3DS Target Audience

"We definitely do not feel that 3D targets heavy users. However, we have a feeling that, until you've seen something that makes you say 'Of course, when used like that, it's clearly a 3D game that anyone can play,' you can't be convinced, so we hope that you'll make the decision in the future when you've seen something solid."

On 3DS Development Costs

"If a game is originally made as a true 3D space, you make the 3D image by drawing two lines, one matching the left eye and one matching the right eye, so converting a game that already takes place in a 3D world into 3D is not all that difficult. If you try to make something that's not in a 3D world into 3D, you'll probably have some cost. However, I don't really feel that there's any substance to that. Naturally, you won't make a game interesting by just making the visuals 3D. It's when you offer an interactive experience in the 3D visuals as part of a set with something that is interesting that you first have value as entertainment. Regarding this, there's still no foundation, and it's an area that requires trial and error. It is that trial and error alone that could see an increase in development cost. However, the trial and error is there for any development where you try to make new entertainment experiences, and not just 3D."

Iwata would not comment on software space or pricing

Will Nintendo have more surprises for E3 other than the 3DS?

"I can't say if there will or will not be surprises. If, for example, I said, 'there will be a surprise,' there wouldn't be any meaning, as everyone would be disappointed because of anticipation being exceedingly high."

On Rumors of needing high-end hardware to produce 3D games on the 3DS without dropping framerate

"When we made the 3DS, we wanted to make it into a platform that would attract a wide variety of things, from high end games to extremely casual games."

On Falling Wii Sales

"The target of 18 million units that we gave for this term is itself a high target when you consider that four years have passed since the system's release. If, in the games that we release this year, one were to make it big -- explode like we hadn't expected, it is, of course, possible that we'd exceed last year. However, making announcements of earnings forecasts on the basis of the assumption of such an explosion would be irresponsible for the management of a public company. We are in no way thinking 'the Wii is near the end of its platform cycle so we will limit our investments."

On the 3DS Name

"We've said that it will be released during this term, so the announcement of the formal name will not be too far off."

On the 3DS Announcement

Iwata mentions that when Nintendo decided that they wanted to show the 3DS at E3, they also wanted to have third party games to show off. In order to make this happen, they had to expand the knowledge of the system to people outside of Nintendo. Unfortunately, this leads to leaks and other bits of information getting around. Nintendo bit the bullet and let the info out to third parties, because having those games to show was important to them.

On consumers not purchasing a DSi XL due to the 3DS coming soon

Iwata doesn't feel that there's going to be a large amount of people that won't buy a DSi XL due to the 3DS coming out. While he did admit that there are some consumers that would approach things that way, he felt overall the effect wouldn't be one to worry about.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/05/11/iwata_qa_summary/

Around the Network

3DS won't be the final name?

I wonder if they will skip the "DS" brand.

They can call it the Nintendo Poo and it'll still sell gazillions anyway.

Bamboleo said:

From what Nintendo have said so far in relation to the 3DS and also the DS, it seems as though they want to sell the DS and 3DS along side each other, just as Sony has done with the PS2 and PS3 and to a lesser extent, Nintendo themselves with the GBA and DS. I say this because Nintendo are still looking to push DS hardware sales with a 'new big hit' and so support will continue for the DS into 2011, perhaps beyond, from Nintendo as a publisher. 

I think if they do want to cause the 3DS to become a third pillar of sorts, then a new name to ensure people know it to be different to the DS line is important.

The 3DS was always a temporary name, going back to the March announcement.

Anyone want to guess the real name?

I think "TS" makes sense - "Triple Screen" - the two real screens and then the 'projected' imagery.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Nice Job thanks Puffy

Not too much we didn't already know, except that they don't feel the costs of development will be all that greater

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Bamboleo said:

Maybe something like:

DS

You end up with DS having a 3 above it, like it is cubed.   This would assume it has Dual Screens.

I wonder what they will call it.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

There is a heap more information in this article than just the official 3DS name being announced soon. For example, Iwata alluded to the fact that we haven't seen the peak sales of the Wii. It's debatable whether it was just fluff for the investors or whether Nintendo's planned software in the next couple of years along with price cuts could actually, in Iwata's mind, boost the Wii to above 2008 levels.