By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Android market share surpasses iPhone's, NPD says

mrstickball said:
FaRmLaNd said:
How many phones and companies use the Android OS?

About 27 phones between 3 major companies by the end of March (Samsung, HTC, Motorola) and a few minor ones...Plus tablets and other products running Android.

Every American network has an Android phone....With a 250 million subscriber base between 'em.

• Verizon - Droid Incredible, Droid Eris, Droid, Devour
  • T-Mobile - G1, MyTouch (and MyTouch Slide), Cliq, CliqXT, Nexus One
  • Sprint - Evo, Hero
  • AT&T - Backflip

Those are just off the top of my head, FYI. I believe some of the minor companies are starting to get the low-hanging Android fruit.

As others have said, Apple's decision to align with the crappy AT&T network in the US sealed the deal for Android in the US. You just can't compete on one network with a 70-80 million subscriber base vs. Verizon which has more by itself, and T-Mo + Sprint having an equal base to Verizon as well....Thats about 160m between all non-AT&T US companies PLUS the Backflip on AT&T. However, the Backflip is about the worst Android phone out there....And that is coming from a guy who uses a MyTouch and brother has an ancient (by Android standards) G1.

Jeez. Its wierd thinking that the G1 is so crappy compared to the new stuff like the Incredible and Evo.

Id be tempted to call the G1 worse then the Devour and the Devour is the worst android phone.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Well, given that the G1 has Android 1.6 vs. the Devour still running 1.5, and the Backflip having half of its features locked out, and 1.5 as well...

I don't know. They're all pretty bad :-p

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Well, given that the G1 has Android 1.6 vs. the Devour still running 1.5, and the Backflip having half of its features locked out, and 1.5 as well...

I don't know. They're all pretty bad :-p

That is true, they all suck.

Which is why I love my Moto Droid. Its better then every other Android phone but the Incredible because that 1GHz snapdragon processor is incredible.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

So, when can we expect to see an article claiming to taking a large bite out of handheld gaming? Or does that only apply to anything Apple?

the way I see it, the Iphone is currently a full product, the Android is still evolving. There is still a little while before there is a real competitivity here... with regards to which product is better for the customer...

Now price is sure a big asset to gain marketshare for androids.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network
Grimes said:

We don't really know if Google or any of the handset manufacturers are making a lot of money from Android. We do know that Apple is making a ton of profit off the iPhone. I have a feeling that the average iPhone user buys more apps and content than Android users.

Actually, http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/29/htc-expects-36-percent-increase-in-q2-sales-thanks-android/ 

It's just one hardware manufacturer of course, but Android seems like good business for them.

Rainbird said:
Grimes said:

We don't really know if Google or any of the handset manufacturers are making a lot of money from Android. We do know that Apple is making a ton of profit off the iPhone. I have a feeling that the average iPhone user buys more apps and content than Android users.

Actually, http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/29/htc-expects-36-percent-increase-in-q2-sales-thanks-android/ 

It's just one hardware manufacturer of course, but Android seems like good business for them.

They are making more reveneue, but unless I'm reading their financial statements wrong they only makde $157k in net income for the last quarter. And that doesn't really tell us how much profit or loss the specific Android headsets are making. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that nobody can make money, but right now it seems like a low margin business.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

take that apple!!!!! yeah boy!!!!!

This report is a bit deceptive. It's comparing an operating system to one single device. While that does mean that the Android platform sold more as a phone, it doesn't consider the millions of ipod touch devices that sold in the same period. In a strict OS to OS comparison the iPhone OS probably sold many more devices.

I'm happy to see Android market increased, I'm planning to buy an Android phone when they arrive massively there in Italy...I must support open source and Apple's main enemy!

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)