By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Developers Shift To Leading On PS3!

Squilliam said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Squilliam said:
So its only now when the PS3 is obsolete hardware that they appreciate it? Funny stuff...

What's that make 360?  Malfunctioning obsolete?

You're a naughty boy. I choose to not respond to your inciteful and hurtful comments.

I'm not surprised at the response. the fallback comeback that all sony fanboys resort to when they know they dont have shit to come back with... RAHHH ur conzolezz R lik RODD~1

even tho an educated gamer knows damn well that the jasper models pretty much solved that issue and pretty much brought reliability significantly and well within most consumer electronics. Once xbox slims come out i wonder what kind of comeback they'll resport to next.

Around the Network

lol nothing like fanboys hating on fanboys. PS3 gets a good news and Microsoft security squad came over to hate. I'll save you all some trouble. If you are a Xbox 360 fanboy, do not read this news because it will incite you some anger and need to complain. Rest assure you will have some good games to play with when all is said and done.

Oh yeah I'm a PS3 fanboy by choice. I just don't see the value on a Xbox 360. No I do not agree on everything Sony says, and yes, I believe its Xbox 360 fault that SOME third party games are limited in quality. Don't be mad though, just like the Wii and PS2, some games are amazing even with limited quality hardware.

Kasersky said:

what else i find funny is how horribly of a port job ff13 was and did MS fanboys go up in arms? nope. difference in framerate that most players would have never noticed if not told explicitly in the case of bayonetta, the game was pretty much labeled trash and sega got so much shit for it.... what a world of double standards we live in...

I have Bayonetta PS3 version, I have Ghostbusters PS3 version and it didn't kill me. I knew ahead of time what the deal was and quite frankly it didn't matter. It was the content of the games which made them what they are, the work of the developers and not the machines. This is why I giggle any time someone says X PS3 game is awesome because of the power of the PS3 because quite frankly the real difference was made by Sony's stable of 5-6 excellent game developers being given above average budgets and asked to perform on just one console.

P.S You might want to not throw around the word 'fanboy' around here. The moderation can be quite harsh, especially when you build up a reputation for it.

Tease.

Remnant said:
lol nothing like fanboys hating on fanboys. PS3 gets a good news and Microsoft security squad came over to hate. I'll save you all some trouble. If you are a Xbox 360 fanboy, do not read this news because it will incite you some anger and need to complain. Rest assure you will have some good games to play with when all is said and done.

Oh yeah I'm a PS3 fanboy by choice. I just don't see the value on a Xbox 360. No I do not agree on everything Sony says, and yes, I believe its Xbox 360 fault that SOME third party games are limited in quality. Don't be mad though, just like the Wii and PS2, some games are amazing even with limited quality hardware.

i think you misread what i wrote, i already knew alot of games especially EA have had sony as the leading console. just wanted to point out how silly EA is constantly being extra vocal about it to try to get on the good side of sony fanboys.

AND a site note:

ever heard of "do as I say, not as I do?" well.. why would you say "lol nothing like fanboys hating on fanboys" then admit youre a fanboy then basically bash me...

Remnant said:

I can't comprehend what you're trying to imply here. If you don't value the Xbox 360 then you don't value the PS3. Its a simple concept really when they are so similar if you don't value the one you don't own then you devalue the one you do.

Tease.

Around the Network

Valve it seemed was right

Valve was wrong and that fatso's comments were far more extreme, claiming the PS3 is a waste of everyone's time. LOL

The PS3 and its unique Cell processing architecture was simply too hard to make games for.

Not true at all, it is only difficult to port many legacy game engines to. There are plenty of tech docs and dev comments out there telling the PS3 is not hard to develop for (of course it can do more, meaning to do more more time can be required).

“When you talk about graphics you can see immediately that the hardware of the PlayStation 3 offers a much higher capacity and is much more powerful,”

Finally a correct statement. This and the above I already told well before the PS3 launched myself. Initial issues were well expected.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Well this is not really related but, is wiki really reliable? lol....it tells what game uses sony's phyre engine...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhyreEngine
Mana khemia 3?...Atlus has 2 projects?....

Currently Playing: Devil Survivor 2 (NDS)

Many of today's gaming engines originate from the PC.

Many gamers don't realize just how horribly inefficient and lacking in terms of foward (multi-processor approach) thinking PC gaming engine development had become in general on the PC. Mostly Microsoft is to blame for this, in the distant past PC operating systems and gaming engines were getting ever more efficient with new releases. When Microsoft dominated with every new release operating systems and software got ever more inefficient, people surely still remember how Vista-ready PCs turned into email terminals when Vista came out. It's a flawed approach in terms of progress (not flawed in terms of selling new PCs, making your PC config look outdated) and not at all beneficial to consumers.

Luckily there always remained programmers who know how to code, the demoscene, underpowered handhelds and gaming consoles still required programmers to understand the hardware and think of more efficient ways to approach the hardware. But sadly the gap in terms of specifications between for example a PS2 and a PS3 is enormous, so even for competent developers a lot of new technology had to be built for the new system.

That the adoption of better development approaches took a while for multi-platform developers also has much to do with Microsoft:

A developer which lead a project on the XBox 360:

"Secondly, the matters of multithreading policies, the whole job queue architecture, encapsulation of jobs and their corresponding data packets, etc. that work on the PS3 are indeed more than applicable of the 360/PC. And as I've mentioned before, they work better than anything and everything that Microsoft recommends (so far without exception for us)."

From this you can come to the conclusion:
- The developer thinks the development approaches Microsoft recommends, does not work [well] on the PS3.
- And the way the PS3 should be developed for makes sense in terms of performance on the PC/360 as well.

Some insomniac conclusions from a tech doc:

* It's not that complicated.
* Good data and good design works well on the SPUs (and will work well anywhere)‏
-Sometimes you can get away with bad design and bad data on other platforms
-...for now. Bad design will not survive this generation.
*Lots of opportunities for optimization.

I know some programmers personally who had the difficult job of porting DirectX PC games to other platforms. It was a lot of rework to do and a lot of headaches, but in the end they were able to achieve far more efficient results, allowing these demanding PC games to be run much better than they would on even higher specced Windows PCs.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ Kasersky

lots of games lead development on the ps3 and yet the 360 version pretty much holds up equally

What do you expect from multi-platform developers?

Until the XBox 360 is discontinued or overshadowed by a large PS3 install base this will probably stay this way from the grand perspective.

Of course some multi-platform PS3 games already look better on the PS3, but in terms of game design they can't advance too much if they also want to be on the 360. For example if developers take optimal use of Blu-Ray, 360 games will span multiple discs (and breaking up a game on multiple discs isn't as easy, desireable or even feasible for many types of games as some may think).

For example the PS3 is able to generate far more onscreen activity as well as more complex gaming worlds than on the 360 is capable of with a good end result. So multi-platform developers will continue to take into account the capabilities of the weakest aspects of all their target platforms.

Exclusive game developers don't have such worries.

PS3 vs 360 sales

great for PS3