By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - UK General Election, Election Day and Results Thread

UK General Election, Election Day and Results Thread

New Labour - Gordon Brown 9 17.65%

Conservatives - David Cameron 15 29.41%

Liberal Democrats - Nick Clegg 21 41.18%

UKIP - Lord Pearson 3 5.88%

Green Party - Caroline Lucas 0 0%

Others (National Parties,... 3 5.88%

Total:51
kowenicki said:
The Fury said:

Farms are usually family businesses though, having been in families and staying in the same families for generations, very unlikely to be owned for short periods.

Whether I am right or wrong though just shows my lack of knowledge on the situation at hand but that might just be luck about having never had to deal with it first hand.

Sorry I didnt word that very well... I meant even if it is has only been owned for 2 or 3 years.  The longer it has been owned the better, so a family pass down over generations would almost certainly be free of IHT.

If that is true and farmers are generally considered free from inheritance tax, then I have no complaints.

*skips on his merry way*

@SciFiBoy

Makes sense to have a Lib Dem Scottish bloke as Scottish Secretary, Tories would have found it hard to represent them when they only won 1 seat there, even if they did have 17% of the vote.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
What did you expect? It's one of the most important positions, no way the Tories would let that one go.

It's not about which party he is from, he has so little experience.  They could have chosen Ken Clarke.

vince cable got a cabinet post,good i like old vince

i like hague too as,need some oldies too

ken clarke is the new justice secretary and lord chancellor,whatever that is,by the looks of things

Above & Beyond

doesn't the deputy PM live in downing street,not bad for third place and fewer seats than last time,

so as i understand it if 55% of MP's go against the Govt it is a vote of no confindence,i wonder how many cons and libdem mps need to defect to do this,i'm sure theirs a few MP's on all side just waiting to disrupt things

Above & Beyond

zuvuyeay said:
so as i understand it if 55% of MP's go against the Govt it is a vote of no confindence,i wonder how many cons and libdem mps need to defect to do this,i'm sure theirs a few MP's on all side just waiting to disrupt things

No, because the resulting election would swing massively against which ever party's MPs were seen to bring down the government. The public (as we've seen in previous no-confidence-vote caused elections) do not like being asked to vote twice in a year.

Around the Network
Soleron said:
zuvuyeay said:

No, because the resulting election would swing massively against which ever party's MPs were seen to bring down the government. The public (as we've seen in previous no-confidence-vote caused elections) do not like being asked to vote twice in a year.

I doubt that, if it is needed and the public have lost faith in the government there should be no reason why a government should try and hold onto power but then I also doubt in the first year Lib Dems and Conservatives want to get into the situation where a Vote of No Confidence occurs. If any it will be Lib Dem MPs swapping sides and even if all of them side with Labour and then all less parties side with Labour it's still not enough in that 55%, you need like 30 Tories to side with with them as well.

To me this screams of Tories trying to keep power in a government they have a minor majority in knowing full well it might crumble. Less power to us, more power to them. They even want to force a 5 year fixed term, is that so they can keep that power longer too? Would a vote of no confidence still exist if there was a fixed term?

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:

To me this screams of Tories trying to keep power in a government they have a minor majority in knowing full well it might crumble. Less power to us, more power to them. They even want to force a 5 year fixed term, is that so they can keep that power longer too? Would a vote of no confidence still exist if there was a fixed term?

Actually it is to protect the Lib Dems from Cameron calling an instant election. If anything it decreases Cameron's power; he can't call a snap election when his poll ratings are favourable like all previous prime ministers have done (Blair called two early elections, Brown chose to delay it as much as possible to get past the point where the Conservatives were 10% ahead in 2009).