By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Geohots 3.30 Custom Firmware is released

Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!!

fire wire usb adapter

Around the Network
axumblade said:
mirgro said:
axumblade said:

Only a handful of people really honestly even utilized the Linux option before it was removed. It was only made an issue when Sony said they were taking the option away. It's stupid as hell to be annoyed over having something removed that has absolutely no signifigance to most people just because the option was removed. It's essentially the spleen of the PS3. Not really necessary, it's nice to have around but it serves no purpose and can become a real pain if an issue goes unresolved.

I can understand why the few people who used Linux would be annoyed but at the same time, it's a VIDEO GAME CONSOLE. I don't see why people would need Linux on the PS3 in the first place since most people who use the PS3 also have a computer (Or am I being a little too bold with that statement).

Oh here we go, I would love for someone to actually make me a good case without saying "no one really used it." I seriously hope that is not the cornerstone of your argument, because it is an utter failure as far as arguments go. It's a feature, it got removed, end of story.

Also haven't you heard? IT ONLY DOES EVERYTHING!!111ELEVEN!11ONE

More seriously, that statement would have been utterly laughed at if most people with a PS3 had a PC as well, because the PS3 does a tiny teeny fraction of what a PC can do, and even that is not as good. So no, given the popularity of that retarded statement, I doubt too many have a computer, or at least know what to do with it.

How about the fact that the PS3 slims didn't have an Other OS option when they came out (over 9 months ago) which accounts for about 1/3-1/4 of all PS3's sold. Then, initial PS3 sales were also attributed more to the fact that it was a blu-ray player that was top of the line when it first came out, so there are people who use it for that, and just that. On top of that, there are the avid gamers, who really don't care about another operating system being on their system, as long as they get to play the games, that's where I'm basing my argument on, for out of all of my friends, and anyone on my decent sized friends list can correct me if I'm wrong, but nobody has even used the Other OS on their system. But don't worry, my argument falls flat on its face because some nameless person who I've never even seen on this forum except in this thread says otherwise.

It's a slogan. If it did everything then it would be in the kitchen making me a sandwich right now instead of sitting lifeless waiting for me to use it.

And again, neither of us have any support over the statement BUT I'll relay what I believe to be true, which is that most people just thought the idea of putting Linux on their PS3 was a cool idea or they liked the interface. I'm sure there are a few people who were using the PS3 as a computer, but it's stupid to buy a gaming system thinking it could take the place of a computer.

And with the slim never did SONY say it will have Linux support and never put it on any labels and so on and so forth. If I remember correctly such things were said for the original PS3.

All I have heard form you is "no one uses it so whatever" what kind of argument is that? I'm sure that you also don't use a bunch of features on your PC, and I bet you don't know anyone who does in fact those features, but I can guarantee you they are very useful for the minority that use it. In the end I cannot see how you can somehow rationalize removing a feature that you paid for as being anything other than outright fraud.

At the end of the day it's Geohots fault, if it where not for his desire to crack the PS3 for potential customer softrware a.k.a playing ripped games, then none of this would have happened.

Geohot is not a savour, his a devil in disguise.

axumblade said:
mirgro said:

And with the slim never did SONY say it will have Linux support and never put it on any labels and so on and so forth. If I remember correctly such things were said for the original PS3.

All I have heard form you is "no one uses it so whatever" what kind of argument is that? I'm sure that you also don't use a bunch of features on your PC, and I bet you don't know anyone who does in fact those features, but I can guarantee you they are very useful for the minority that use it. In the end I cannot see how you can somehow rationalize removing a feature that you paid for as being anything other than outright fraud.

What is so useful about it?

Linux was able to teach people how to use the SKUs. Nevermind that the PS3's architecture is attrocious, but the Linux actually enabled people to use the SKUs for what they were intended, and for possible future developers as a way to learn the architecture.

axumblade said:

Not quite sure what you're talking about when you say it teaches people how to use the SKU's

The linux and any programs you write for it, would use the architecture of the system it's on, in this case TEH CELL111 Once you set things staright and ironed out you could practice using it.

All you need to know is that the Linux was useful and used by people and it's now removed. I have yet to see any worthwhile argument from anyone on this site as to why the Linux should be removed.

Around the Network
axumblade said:
mirgro said:
axumblade said:

Not quite sure what you're talking about when you say it teaches people how to use the SKU's

The linux and any programs you write for it, would use the architecture of the system it's on, in this case TEH CELL111 Once you set things staright and ironed out you could practice using it.

All you need to know is that the Linux was useful and used by people and it's now removed. I have yet to see any worthwhile argument from anyone on this site as to why the Linux should be removed.

I personally have stated I really don't care if it's removed or not. I wouldn't argue that it should be removed. It just doesn't affect me and my stance was just that not many people were affected. I understand why you feel the way you do, it just didn't really concern me. Other than paranoia of piracy, which seems to be everyone's main concern, I don't see any real reason to have it removed.

Oh do explain, how does piracy affect you so that you give such a huge damn about this issue? Just a sheep in the grand flock?

From just a brief google I found out that not only is it not possible for the Dutch and US governments to see an industry being affected by piracy, but also they noticed that piracy increased sales in other related materials and the overall economy of the countries may actually benefit from piracy because of that. Just food for thought, an

mirgro said:
axumblade said:
mirgro said:
axumblade said:

I personally have stated I really don't care if it's removed or not. I wouldn't argue that it should be removed. It just doesn't affect me and my stance was just that not many people were affected. I understand why you feel the way you do, it just didn't really concern me. Other than paranoia of piracy, which seems to be everyone's main concern, I don't see any real reason to have it removed.

Oh do explain, how does piracy affect you so that you give such a huge damn about this issue? Just a sheep in the grand flock?

From just a brief google I found out that not only is it not possible for the Dutch and US governments to see an industry being affected by piracy, but also they noticed that piracy increased sales in other related materials and the overall economy of the countries may actually benefit from piracy because of that. Just food for thought, an

I believe you mean SPU's right pirate?

Kushalafang said:

I believe you mean SPU's right pirate?

That is indeed what I meant. It's late and I have 2 finals in the morning, letters are blurring into each other.

Also, fail assumptions is epic fail. Please play again though.

Locking since fake