Forums - Sony Discussion - Geohots 3.30 Custom Firmware is released

Boredom is a dangerous hobby.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
CDiablo said:
axumblade said:
gurglesletch said:
ssj12 said:
i really hope Sony adds a new line to their DRM, and never mentions it, in base firmware that newer games understand that will allow them to only work on official firmware updates.

I agree 100%

I'd get a good laugh out of it.

Granted, some people wouldn't, but that would just make it more hilarious to me. :D

I hope you all enjoy lower software sales due to people that refuse to take it in the ass from Sony. Im not buying another PS3 game until this whole CFW is figured out and there are many old PS3 owners that are doing the same.

why would there be lower software sales when the vast majority dont care about otheros? frankly i figure the majority of otheros users want to pirate their games anyways then buy legitly. So frankly, who cares?

@binary - even if he figures it out, mattering Sony's implementation he might not have an easy time replicating it.

edit:  Especially if Sony did it right and made it a two part firmware. First part is installed viva normal firmware, second from game disc. So if your console has CFW, the game software either A. refuses to run, or B. Install the full firmware installation removing the custom firmware and installing official firmware. I'd really hope they went with B myself.

cause it works so well with the PSP... (and hackers also fix the roms to remove the specific 2 part DRM...)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

IvorEvilen said:
binary solo said:
LordDeDeDe said:

I don't understand why he's putting so much effort into keeping an exploit around that isn't really capable of doing anything

I guess like Ebert and video games, you just don't get it.

What's there to get? 

If you need to ask then you'll never understand.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

ssj12 said:
CDiablo said:
axumblade said:
gurglesletch said:
ssj12 said:
i really hope Sony adds a new line to their DRM, and never mentions it, in base firmware that newer games understand that will allow them to only work on official firmware updates.

I agree 100%

Granted, some people wouldn't, but that would just make it more hilarious to me. :D

I hope you all enjoy lower software sales due to people that refuse to take it in the ass from Sony. Im not buying another PS3 game until this whole CFW is figured out and there are many old PS3 owners that are doing the same.

why would there be lower software sales when the vast majority dont care about otheros? frankly i figure the majority of otheros users want to pirate their games anyways then buy legitly. So frankly, who cares?

What on earth makes you think that? That's pretty insulting to people who want other OS without a shred of evidence that it's true.

Even for people actively using other OS prior to 3.15 PS3 was a long way from practically being a pirateable machine. And this on a small minority of a finite number of consoles, representing an ever diminishing percent of the PS3 install base. Piracy in that context wouldn't even be economioc for software pirates. I reckon the true software criminals probablly sat up and took notice of geohot's other OS hack for about 5 minutes until they realised "Oh it's only on the phats? It's no good for the Slims? Wake me up when you've hacked the Slim, then I'll start pirating PS3 games". So accusing other OS users at this point of only being interested in it for it's piracy potential is a pretty ill conceived statement.

I figure the majority of other OS users were probably looking towards the possibility of homebrew apps (which isn't pirating), which at the end of the day is what is behind the whole philosophy of GNU+Linux: DIY computing. There is no way Sony supports the philosophy underlying GNU+Linux. Once they realised the implications of having a community with the GNU+Linux Free Software philosophy actively operating on their system and within PSN they knew they couldn't keep supporting something that is anathema to their own proprietary ownership MO. The downside of the essential conflict between Sony's software business model and that of the GNU+Linux community far outweighed the miniscule benefits that came from having PS3 become a PC that is totally free of any Microsoft prorietorship. And that's what Sony's other OS feature was really about, trying to carve chunks out of Microsoft's dominance of the computer operating system market.

It'll be interesting to see whether Sony tries to attacks MS's OS dominance using a different weapon in the next gen. The even bigger question is to what end does Sony want to see Window's dominance diminish? What would they achieve by it, given they aren't a PC OS competitor (in fact they are a collaborator)? What opportunity are Sony looking for by such a thing?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

its fake cauze on geohotz offical blog he didnt mention any release of new custom firmware

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
CDiablo said:
axumblade said:
gurglesletch said:
ssj12 said:

I agree 100%

@binary - even if he figures it out, mattering Sony's implementation he might not have an easy time replicating it.

edit:  Especially if Sony did it right and made it a two part firmware. First part is installed viva normal firmware, second from game disc. So if your console has CFW, the game software either A. refuses to run, or B. Install the full firmware installation removing the custom firmware and installing official firmware. I'd really hope they went with B myself.

You obviously don't know much about information security at all. How is this "half online half on CD" thing gonna work? They force you to buy sepcific games so you can play your games?

It's very well known, that once someone has a piece of hardware, and if it's worth the time to bother doing so and the PS3 apparently isn't, it is easily hackable. There are no known effective hardware security measures that can't be circumvented. The best one is not even out yet, and it's a hardware entropy generator that Intel is still developing.

Thank god too, I don't want companies to think they own hardware that I bought from them. The moment my money got to them, the hardware became mine and I can use it as I see fit, for whatever purpose, and do with it whatever I want.

mirgro said:
ssj12 said:
CDiablo said:
axumblade said:
gurglesletch said:
ssj12 said:

I agree 100%

You obviously don't know much about information security at all. How is this "half online half on CD" thing gonna work? They force you to buy sepcific games so you can play your games?

It's very well known, that once someone has a piece of hardware, and if it's worth the time to bother doing so and the PS3 apparently isn't, it is easily hackable. There are no known effective hardware security measures that can't be circumvented. The best one is not even out yet, and it's a hardware entropy generator that Intel is still developing.

Thank god too, I don't want companies to think they own hardware that I bought from them. The moment my money got to them, the hardware became mine and I can use it as I see fit, for whatever purpose, and do with it whatever I want.

WOW

That's one of the most retarded things I've ever heard, that's like thinking it's ok to go around shooting people with a gun because you paid for it

LordDeDeDe said:

WOW

That's one of the most retarded things I've ever heard, that's like thinking it's ok to go around shooting people with a gun because you paid for it

Is anyone stopping me from doing so? No? Didn't think so.

If I feel like it, I can go buy a gun and start shooting people with it and nothing will stop me. I can also go buy a knife and start stabbing people and nothing can stop me form doing so. I can buy a cast iron pan and start bludgeoning people to death, and no one will stop me. In fact, I can readily buy a ton of metal that moves at 100 miles per hour and mow people down with it as well.

I don't know in what fucked up world you live in, but that is now how the real world works. In fact, the sole purpose of a gun is to shoot people with.

mirgro said:
ssj12 said:
CDiablo said:
axumblade said:
gurglesletch said:
ssj12 said:

I agree 100%

how different is that from Nintendo throwing people in jail for using the R4 chips in the DS? Last time I checked they already believe they still own the hardware.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:

how different is that from Nintendo throwing people in jail for using the R4 chips in the DS? Last time I checked they already believe they still own the hardware.

I really don't remember this happening, but Nintendo sucks hardcore so I wouldn't put it past them.

Edit: For clarity.