By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Grand List Of Console RPG Clichés (Over 190 clichés!)

This is an excellent checklist for companies to go by when making an RPG :P.

Around the Network

lol, these are so true. I like how the main characters village allways burns down when he isn't around. :D

LOL, I was trying and google the reason why this Top 10 http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/82653/top-ten-most-over-used-japanese-rpg-cliches didn't cause an uproar and I stumbled across this encyclopaedia!    Still read little more than 60, but I can already say that WRPGs contain a lot less clichés than Far Eastern ones...  (tries to whistle innocently and walks away...  ).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Fantastic list! Everything's so true! :D

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

i like them cliches... i can't imagine em RPGs without em i think some of them make the game fun. Why do people seem to hate cliches anyway?

What I want from a game.

Gameplay > Story > Content > Graphics

Visual Style > Graphics

Smooth Camera, Intuitive Controls

Friction! When everything feels right!

Around the Network

Isn't this more a jrpg-cliche thread than console rpg?

burning_phoneix said:
I remember reading this ages ago. Still funny though.

Me too, some of those were so funny and true. But you shouldn't take the levels too seriously in rpg's, its hard to make the starting monsters lvl 80 or so while you're still lvl one. I just imagine that there aren't any lvls in the game at xD Though mechanisms to make the monsters lvl up with you is a bit more realistic, it still seems weird.

I saw this a while ago and loved it

What usually happens:

1)  A good rpg comes out and makes lots of money.

2)  Another company wants to make money too and tries to use the same formula.

or

1)  A good rpg comes out and makes lots of money.

2)  For nostalgic and other purposes, some elements become staple elements in said series.

Although, I would argue that some on the list are pushing it, as they kind of come with the genre, like saying shooters that use guns are cliche, because they all use guns... *goes off to make a list of shooter cliches*

does this include the clicé about breaking down seals that no bad guy can break, just to look if the world destroying artifact is still there?

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’