By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo Reach : Tips and tactics.

Melee is no longer overly powerful. This results in much more thought about when to make the attack, but also leaves you vunerable for someone else joining the attack.

I get many, many more melee kills in Reach. I love sprinting up and melee attacking. Especially with a sword.

Out of my last lone wolf match, 14 of my 25 kills were melee.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Around the Network
Mendicate Bias said:
yo_john117 said:

Hey thanks for all these tips.  I've been getting pretty well shit on today in the beta (seems like everyone who plays has already learned how to be perfect at everything they do)

I needed to know tips like these.

Are you kidding? I looked at your stats, your doing beastly in the beta.

Well I was until I played the last couple of games I've played.   The last Arena game I couldn't even manage to get 1 kill.  My Arena ranking went from 1586 to 944 just from that one game.

Tyrannical said:

Melee is no longer overly powerful. This results in much more thought about when to make the attack, but also leaves you vunerable for someone else joining the attack.

I get many, many more melee kills in Reach. I love sprinting up and melee attacking. Especially with a sword.

Out of my last lone wolf match, 14 of my 25 kills were melee.

Yeah I know right, I love sprinting around and using the sword and bone hammer its awsome and skillful, i think people are even going has far as to use the word tactical.

HomcidaIpandas Tips and Tricks

First off I would Like to say Halo Reach is the Best Halo Ever I dont know why we are in Beta Phase when everything in this game is Perfect and Feel like Halo this is game need to go retail ASAP

I LOVE YOU BUNGIE!

Know your classes people! Does anyone jump out of buidling on mw2 without commando pro...I dont think so. That cause they know there class and its strengths and weakness.

1] Stalker- this class makes you have active camo. People might ask what is active camo? Actiive camo is the item in Halo 3 that made players

going invisible, was usally placed in the center of the map and  people would have to fight over it. But dont worry in Halo Reach  you wont have

to get your hands dirty to obtain it. Stalker makes you nearly complety invisible this is great for hiding in conerers and makeing your way

around the map fairly easy, obtianing all the weapons you need. Stalker also scrambles your 25m radar and your enemys 25m radar, this buy

some is considered a weakness by giving you away, but can be a strength also. The real main weakness to this class is when you go invisible

you cant hear, this puts you at a huge disadvantage cause Halo has always been about hearing footstep etc. The things you can do with this

class is amazing..espicallly in combnation with other classes or a team of stalkers the strats are endless.

2] Scount is your basic sprint you see in many FPS made in the past few years. This as posted before is excellent in conjuction with

bonehammer and the sword. Also its great for jumping super far just hold LB and start running then jump and you will feel like your walking on

the moon and you jump huge distances and in Mid air it almost feel like slowmotion. This is an excellent class and should have been in halo from

the beginning.

3] Jetpack-this is amazing if you every wanted to feel like bobo fett or even jenga fett from the starwars series. This is amazing class, I used to

hate trying to do hard jumps in previous halo, if you were like me this is awsome. You can now fly to your destination , now everyone  

can ambush there enemys from unexpected places. The weakness to this class is that you are an easy target to hit when you are in the air the

last thing you want is to get shot at by the amazly fast 5 shot dmr

4] Amor Block-this has to be my favorite perk, I much like everyone else hated when some skillful player stuck me in Halo 3, now I can hit LB and

my suit will absorb the damage. If your getting beat 1v1, and you have no choice use it, cause you have ten secounds for one of your

teammates to show up and kill him. Also if you have friends you can both use this and basically do rotations, keeping each other alive. Though I

would recommend all going stalker, cause its easyiar to achieve victory. Also can be used to block Rockets and Frags among other things.

Know your weapons

Beam Rifle- this has to be my favorite change from previous halo...I hated when I had to zoom in and actually aim this gun. My heart really goes

out to bungie by making this gun have a constant beam to overheat. This gun is great just put the circle over the enemy and hold the trigger

down. No scoping with this gun is also great and now everyone can do it, making the game more fair and tactcal. This gun reminds me of the

hammer of dawn from gears of war 1, everyone loved the hammer and was extremely happy it went to gears of war 2. special thanks to cliffy

DMR- people may complain about the clip size but its the same amount of trigger pulls as the br. This is gun is the replacement to the br and

does want the br couldnt do. The br just shoot way to fast for me and I am glad they change it to a more slower pace rifle and decreased the

damage so it take 5 hits. Warning: you may grow a 5oclock shadow when shooting this gun.

Other guns feel about the same but I am to lazy to tell you--they have one gun that shoots plasma grenades that home into there targets so

if you never got a killtacular before now is your chance but they called it something else when I did it, but anways any one can now get triple or more kills with ease...which makes the game more tactile and skillful

.PS dont forget to grab a Heath Pack when your low on life

Tip:
When in Koopa Troopa mode call your friends over to protect you. This will make the enemy flee so you can get back up and get right into battle.

P.S Panda, your tips made me a better Halo Reach player. I cant thank you enough.

SuperAnthony64 said:
Tip:
When in Koopa Troopa mode call your friends over to protect you. This will make the enemy flee so you can get back up and get right into battle.

P.S Panda, your tips made me a better Halo Reach player. I cant thank you enough.

Koopa Troopa lol....aka armor lock

Your welcome

Around the Network

Here is quick little tip, after a few games go into theater mode and fly around learning where the health packs and weapon spawns are as well as the general lay of the land. It's nice how they named different locations. Like I can say hey the sword on sword base is in the 2a lobby or call out an enemy's location. This game has been so much freaking fun for me and my kids. I'm really liking how they fixed Juggernaut too. No more getting your shields taken down before you change just to get smoked as soon as you become the Juggernaut. Maybe this is the wrong place for me to start gushing about the Beta but I'm loving it so far.

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

selnor said:

Hey guys. By now we are all playing the Beta. Halo 3 and MW2 seem to have next to noone playing them. only 14,000 were on Halo 3 when Reach went live, and my mate said MW2 went from 341,000 to 67,000.

So are you getting wasted? Are you unsure?

Heres where we can post our tips and tactics guys. This game is amazing.

Reach improvements over Halo 3 that are much better for the game are as follows:

Jump is less powerful. This is vastly better because traversing the maps requires more thought especially in chasing an opponent.

Weapons are more balanced. AR34 is more robust. DMR is vastly better than BR, it makes more sense at distant to. Plasma launcher is a great weapon for modes like Oddball or Head Hunter. Generally, there isnt really a weapon you dont want to use, like in Halo 3 noone would want to use the pistol or plasma rifle over a BR or AR34. Reach it's just tactics that change.

Modes. Headhunter is gods gift to any Lone Wolf lover. Stockpile is awesoem if you get a team that will talk on chat. Generator Defense and Invasion are pending.

Ok. Some tactics guys.

Abilities:

Spartans have 4 loadout options. ( Slayer Pro is different ).

Sprint is excellent for modes Oddball and Head Hunter. Carrying 6 Skulls and being 6 feet from the safe zone is when Sprint comes in very very handy. Same with Oddball ( Although when you have the ball you cannot use your ability or you will drop the ball ). With Oddball it's great to throw 2 grenades into a battle around the Ball carrier and then Sprint straight in just as the explosions go off. Hopefully everyone is dead and you are there to pickup and make your move.

Armour Lock. Do not use this in a 1on1 confrontation, unless you really must. A good player will normal grenade kill you when you deplete yout Lock. Noobs wont know about this though, so take use of this method on players that use Armour lock in 1on1. Remebr only use normal grenades against AL. It will literally sit beside them and wait to blow. Throw it at them about 3 secs after AL is used.

Using AL yourself comes into play when your in a room and 4 or so guys plus you are fighting it out. Use it then. They will all have to keep fighting to stay alive from each other. When your EMP charge goes out, they all will have no shields ( and not even notice you because they were fighting ) then just get yourself a triple kill. So basically AL is to be used in a big close fight.

I will post more later. Please by all means post some things you have found that work well.

Don't armor lock against a single enemy!?

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=138513

kiefer23 said:
selnor said:

Hey guys. By now we are all playing the Beta. Halo 3 and MW2 seem to have next to noone playing them. only 14,000 were on Halo 3 when Reach went live, and my mate said MW2 went from 341,000 to 67,000.

Reach improvements over Halo 3 that are much better for the game are as follows:

Jump is less powerful. This is vastly better because traversing the maps requires more thought especially in chasing an opponent.

Weapons are more balanced. AR34 is more robust. DMR is vastly better than BR, it makes more sense at distant to. Plasma launcher is a great weapon for modes like Oddball or Head Hunter. Generally, there isnt really a weapon you dont want to use, like in Halo 3 noone would want to use the pistol or plasma rifle over a BR or AR34. Reach it's just tactics that change.

Modes. Headhunter is gods gift to any Lone Wolf lover. Stockpile is awesoem if you get a team that will talk on chat. Generator Defense and Invasion are pending.

Ok. Some tactics guys.

Abilities:

Sprint is excellent for modes Oddball and Head Hunter. Carrying 6 Skulls and being 6 feet from the safe zone is when Sprint comes in very very handy. Same with Oddball ( Although when you have the ball you cannot use your ability or you will drop the ball ). With Oddball it's great to throw 2 grenades into a battle around the Ball carrier and then Sprint straight in just as the explosions go off. Hopefully everyone is dead and you are there to pickup and make your move.

Armour Lock. Do not use this in a 1on1 confrontation, unless you really must. A good player will normal grenade kill you when you deplete yout Lock. Noobs wont know about this though, so take use of this method on players that use Armour lock in 1on1. Remebr only use normal grenades against AL. It will literally sit beside them and wait to blow. Throw it at them about 3 secs after AL is used.

Using AL yourself comes into play when your in a room and 4 or so guys plus you are fighting it out. Use it then. They will all have to keep fighting to stay alive from each other. When your EMP charge goes out, they all will have no shields ( and not even notice you because they were fighting ) then just get yourself a triple kill. So basically AL is to be used in a big close fight.

I will post more later. Please by all means post some things you have found that work well.

It's fine against someone who doesnt know what to do when it's been used. But when you do it against someone good, you will find death comes a knocking. Grenade will always blow in your face when you exit lock. Some people have the timing of the grenade so perfect to.

Another Tip

-pressing right on the d-pad does not grant you killstreaks, when I first played the beta I keep pressing the right d-pad when I got 3 or more kills in a row.

-Remember this is only beta and hopefully they will fix or patch in the killstreaks, this will add a whole new depth to the game and more tatics to the already millions aviable in reach

selnor said:
kiefer23 said:
selnor said:

Ok. Some tactics guys.

Abilities:

It's fine against someone who doesnt know what to do when it's been used. But when you do it against someone good, you will find death comes a knocking. Grenade will always blow in your face when you exit lock. Some people have the timing of the grenade so perfect to.

That's why you release it early and activate the second lock :P

And it's completely different if you have a teamate close by coming to you. I've gave my team mates plenty of easy kills by drawing attention and doing some damage then armor locking for them to headshot etc.