By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best fighting game this gen your OP

Right now, I'd say SSFIV. However, I believe Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is easily going to take the title when it comes out.

Thence we came forth
To rebehold the stars... 

Around the Network

Virtua Fighter 5

Xbbjf9s said:
Train wreck said:
This is a dumb poll since people who only have 1 system will only vote for the game on that system, without having played any other fighter on any other system.

Throws objectivity out the window

thread gets -1

Most games being mention are multiplat, your comment -1

Except brawl which 90% of the people seem to vote for even though it isn't even a fighter.

mundus6 said:
Xbbjf9s said:

Except brawl which 90% of the people seem to vote for even though it isn't even a fighter.

What genre do you consider it a part of?

Brawl is a part game but was turned into a fighter by its core base. We have done it with ssb64 and melee. its a fighter

Around the Network

Tekken 6

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway

astrosmash said:
mundus6 said:
Xbbjf9s said:

I would call it a beat em up or a brawler but not really a fighter. Fighting games is a type of beat em up. But what makes a fighting game a fighting game, is 1 on 1 battles with a life gauge and usually with rounds. Brawl doesn't have either and therefore its not a fighting game, even though it is still a beat em up.

That's easy, definitely brawl.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Super Street Fighter 4, for me. That game's online takes me back to the 90's with it's competitiveness. It's the genre, pure and distilled, from the series that built the genre.

Soul Calibur 4 grabs a distant second.

mundus6 said:
astrosmash said:
mundus6 said:
Xbbjf9s said:

I would call it a beat em up or a brawler but not really a fighter. Fighting games is a type of beat em up. But what makes a fighting game a fighting game, is 1 on 1 battles with a life gauge and usually with rounds. Brawl doesn't have either and therefore its not a fighting game, even though it is still a beat em up.

Brawl is 1 on 1, has a life gauge and has rounds.

People who say Brawl isn't a fighter haven't really played it thoroughly, it seems.