By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bungie and Activision Announce Exclusive, Worldwide Partnership

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=8010

The companies will collaborate on the next “next big action game universe”, and Activision will have exclusive worldwide rights to publish Bungie's next big title on multiple platforms... finally.

Activision is going through a bit of a rough patch lately, as evidenced by its CEO resigning and having this whole Infinity Ward debacle on their hands, most recently developing into a lawsuit... however, today, April 29th, the tide turns with Activision-Blizzard's announcement of signing a major 10-year contract with Bungie, under which the ubiquitous publisher will exclusively publish Bungie's "next big action game universe" - and knowing the fantastic world Bungie has created with Halo, along with the period and partner of collaboration, this is nothing but HUGE, MEGATON size news. I can tell you that I didn't see this coming, you can tell me that you didn't see this coming, we can both go out to dinner and discuss the major surprise over some Risotto. Though, in all honesty, I'd rather not.

Thomas Tippl, Activision CEO, and Harold Ryan, president of Bungie. High hopes for us and for them.

Bungie is known for being a very, very, skilled developer, and since this contract is for "multiple platforms and devices", I can't help but being excited thinking what they can do with hardware other than Microsoft's - and looking at the long period in which they'll be working together, they'll also manage to get their new IP out on the next generation of consoles!

Oh, and most importantly, this new IP will retain Bungie ownership, making the developer free to whatever it wants with it after the contract expires. Bungie will also retain the independence it received from Microsoft back in 2007, which is best for both parties involved in the new project.

The deal took about nine months to close down, so it has been long-brewing (personally, I'm surprised no rumors about it leaked out)... and in an effort to get their games to as many people as possible, Bungie chose megalith publisher Activision, which, according to Bungie prez Harold Ryan (above) has exceptional "global reach, multi-platform experience and marketing expertise," so the reason as to why it's Activision and not some other publisher is damn obvious.

The big question now is: When are we getting more details regarding this new IP in question? E3, perhaps?

There's bound to be lots of discussion over these news, so please route yourself to the comments section or the forums.

P.S: Infinity Ward? Yeah, forget that name, as it has broken up and officially been replaced. While it's unknown whether Bungie do work on the Call of Duty franchise or not, Activision's next big hit is definitely coming from the Washington-based developer, and the spotlight's on them now... them and the whole Infinity Ward ordeal.

-Newswire

EDIT:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=244775

MS Response:

"Our partnership with Bungie as a first-party developer for Xbox 360 remains unchanged, and right now we're deeply engaged with them on the development of Halo Reach, which is poised to be the biggest game of 2010."

Next Bungie game is definitely multiplat.  Pretty big news.

Around the Network

Uh-oh, there'll be trouble!

Wow. Infinity Ward's body is still still warm in the grave. CoD has been a bigger seller and cash cow for Activision than Halo has been for Bungie. Yet it didn't stop Activision from gutting Infinity Ward.

I hope Bungie come out of this 10-year partnership alive.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

first Bungie developed COD next year then?

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

binary solo said:
Wow. Infinity Ward's body is still still warm in the grave. CoD has been a bigger seller and cash cow for Activision than Halo has been for Bungie. Yet it didn't stop Activision from gutting Infinity Ward.

I hope Bungie come out of this 10-year partnership alive.

Yeah, Bungie wants to get in on that multiplatform pie.

Around the Network

How can you of all the people find this news good? Bungie will be actibitch slapped soon =/

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

great they lost infinity ward and now they are trying to take over bungie i hope bungie doesn't give out to such an evil company and Sony guys this doesn't mean bungie can make halo games on ps3 since Microsoft owns the property so don't even start with that bull

I don't find it to be good. It is what it is. Just hope they don't get fucked over. Activision is shit, but Bungie is the best.

Hmm a Bungie developed COD game should be interesting.

They should have known better. I have got a feeling that Bungie will think about the time with Microsoft as a time of joy, peace and fun.

Seriously, Activision seems to be the worst publisher you can find in this industry. Sure it is big, but it is greedy. Ask Infinity Ward.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...