By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Is the XBOX doomed?

Yes! 179 37.68%

No! 207 43.58%

Maybe! Let's see what happens after Natal! 89 18.74%

Total:475

I'm assuming this is a joke thread. The 360 continues to have strong sales in its fifth year including increasing it lead over the Ps3 in the largest market. It continues YOY profit growth thanks to XBL, the launch of Natal and the all but confirmed slim model looks to give the 360 a huge boost during the holiday season, and most likely will continue that growth into 2011 and 2012. I just don't see doomed being part of the conversation.

Really a more appropriate thread would be how well Sony has done to remove the Doomed label from not just the PS3 but the company as a whole.

Around the Network
STEKSTAV said:

About this time last year, the PS3 was in the same spot as the 360 is today. It was on the edge of falling below 100k a week. Doomed-threads were being posted all over the interwebs. The 360 will get a nice boost on AW week, but after that its kind of slow for a while, so we'll probably see a 90k number soon enough.

The 360 has been outsold since the Slim release (Sept-May), lost the holiday sales, despite having a 199$ console it gets outsold, its in its 5th year on the market, the exclusives are far apart, its currently close to droping below the 100k mark, still no success in JP and is only on top in the US out of all regions.

Do you think the 360 has hit its peak, and is now slowly fading away?
Or do you think the 360 will survive just fine for another 4 years until the supposedly nextbox gets released?

Nah, I see way more of a dry spell currently on PS3 actually. After God of War 3 and Heavy Rain, PS3 really has nothing huge known upcoming but GT5, and Socom Move, both of which cannot compare to Reach. At least until they unveil stuff at E3.

360 OTOH just had Splinter Cell Conviction, has the Halo Reach Beta and Alan Wake coming up. Much more hype than PS3 in the short term.

Then in the longer term 360 has the big hammer of 2010 with Reach.

This fall 360 gets a major reboot with a slim, Reach, Natal, and possibly a price drop. Any one of those factors alone would boost it, let alone all.

And actually, the 360 is fairly close to having outsold the PS3 in the USA again in the period since the PS3 Slim was introduced. Last I checked IIRC it was like 60k behind before March NPD's, and it just gained another 20k or so in March NPD.

In addition, 360 graphics are showing the old dog has a lot of life left. Reach and Alan Wake are the two best looking exclusives ever yet on the platform, and imo rival any PS3 exclusive. As well as the continuing trend of most multiplatform games looking superior on 360 (just found out Afterburner Climax for example is 4XAA on 360, 0XAA on PS3).

And yeah, dont forget profits. It's something we dont talk about but 360 (EDD division) has racked up over a billion in profits recently in the last few quarters. Sony's PS3 division OTOH has for the most part steadily lost money, often tons of it. Microsoft has given up some market share for profits.

Finally if you take Japan out of the equation, which imo is kind of a "free" market for PS3, the 360 looks a lot better. For example as of the last financials, 360 was 5.2 million shipped hardware units ahead (38.7 360 to 33.5 PS3) but then PS3 is about 4 million ahead in Japan, making the gap elsewhere some 9 million for 360. And dont forget the west is a self contained market, as EA and Activision  and Ubisoft sell very few games in Japan.

All three systems have experienced healthy sales and extremely long life spans. Aside from the PS1 (which looked pretty shabby in it's 5th year) and the PS2 (which is still popular, but also looked pretty shabby by it's 5th year), what console has lasted this long and was still this viable?  The Xbox 360, Wii, and PS3 are both still impressing people AND selling well.

How many consoles must they sell? How long must they stay on the market?

No. No system is doomed.

the X360 is not doomed but it will get crushed when the PS3 drops to $199

blackops said:
the X360 is not doomed but it will get crushed some moar!!! when the PS3 drops to $199

*fixed* lol

Around the Network

wow people actually said yes, c'mon guys

hollywood85 said:
I remember when the ps3 was DOOMED, lol people where so retarded back then imo

Yeah but then again PS3 was in a bad position back then.

Still priced at 600 bucks

No system selling games

Sales for the worst week WW came in at 70K

Analysts were basically screaming for a price cut

Give SONY their due, they gave a price cut and a year later released the slim

JOB DONE - SYSTEM RESCUED

fallen said:

Finally if you take Japan out of the equation, which imo is kind of a "free" market for PS3, the 360 looks a lot better. For example as of the last financials, 360 was 5.2 million shipped hardware units ahead (38.7 360 to 33.5 PS3) but then PS3 is about 4 million ahead in Japan, making the gap elsewhere some 9 million for 360. And dont forget the west is a self contained market, as EA and Activision  and Ubisoft sell very few games in Japan.

LOL, and the US isn't a free market for X360? let's take it out of the equation too!

STEKSTAV said:
I knew i should've left out the PS3 comparisson. This isnt a 360 vs PS3 thread as many of you seem to think. Its a 360 vs Nextbox thread. Can it last with good enough numbers for 4 more years.. that was the question. Sorry if it wasn't clear enough.

Its kinda of a sub-thread to the my other thread about next gen.

Not clear enough ?

Son your opening statement is positively opaque given your intentions !

fallen said:
STEKSTAV said:

About this time last year, the PS3 was in the same spot as the 360 is today. It was on the edge of falling below 100k a week. Doomed-threads were being posted all over the interwebs. The 360 will get a nice boost on AW week, but after that its kind of slow for a while, so we'll probably see a 90k number soon enough.

The 360 has been outsold since the Slim release (Sept-May), lost the holiday sales, despite having a 199$ console it gets outsold, its in its 5th year on the market, the exclusives are far apart, its currently close to droping below the 100k mark, still no success in JP and is only on top in the US out of all regions.

Do you think the 360 has hit its peak, and is now slowly fading away?
Or do you think the 360 will survive just fine for another 4 years until the supposedly nextbox gets released?

Nah, I see way more of a dry spell currently on PS3 actually. After God of War 3 and Heavy Rain, PS3 really has nothing huge known upcoming but GT5, and Socom Move, both of which cannot compare to Reach. At least until they unveil stuff at E3.

GT is just the biggest Sony franchise of all time. And Gran Turismo is a bigger franchise then Halo. I cant remember Halo selling 14,5-15 Million Units with one title. 

Even if GT5 will be weaker then usual it will still sell atleast on par with Halo Reach. Both games should be around 10 Million Units LTD.
I am absolutely sure that GT5 will sell more units then Halo Reach in the end. Not as fast as Halo but steady like always. How can You say GT5 cant be compared to Halo Reach when GT5 is clearly the biggest Title for the PS3 since its release ? And noone would doubt that GT plays in the same league. Difference is that GT already showed way more muscles then Halo and Halo just started to play in the same league with halo 3.

BTW:

360 is not doomed its to late for it.