By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Do Aliens Exist?

Yes 66 65.35%

Maybe 26 25.74%

No 9 8.91%

Total:101

Yes I believe they do

Around the Network

Yeah, i'd have to say there are aliens out there. Though it'd be VERY unlikely that they'd wipe us out mostly because it's VERY unlikely they'd be able to find us... let alone reach us.

What with faster then light travel being an impossibility without spacial folding, and spacial folding being pretty useless without knowing where you'd want to got for discovery, and just space being so damn huge...

I'd say yes... but it's HIGHLY unlikely we'll ever prove it before mankind is wiped out by something non alien.

I believe they do.

PSN ID: KingFate_

Yes, of course. But the universe is so huge it's impossible for anything to find anything.

I read recently in a book that 99,9999(and lots and lots of more nines)% of the universe is just... nothing. Not even air... nothing.

TheRealMafoo said:
mrstickball said:
Yes.

Given my interactions with them when I was ~11, I believe they are 100% real. I do, however, have a different set of beliefs as to why they exist, outside of the traditional scientific criteria for their existence.

Was any of that a joke?

If not, I really need to hear your point of view, and what happened when you were ~11.

No. Not a joke. Very serious.

Here is my story for those that were interested:

In January 1996 (I want to say around the 25th or 26th), my brother and I were playing outside in the snow. While we were playing, we began to hear a very odd sound in the distance. It sounded like a car revving up, only to stop, and re-start in a perfect order many, many times. The noise level did not change, nor the frequency of it happening. This went on for about 15 seconds, and my twin brother and I started looking around for the source of the noise.

About 3/4ths of a mile away (here is the mapquest aerial view for where the house was that we lived in. Our house is on the right, down the small lane, and the woods is in the lower-right corner of the map), we saw the object that was causing the noises.

I will preface this with a few notes:

• It was perfectly clear out
  • My brother saw it too
  • After the sighting, we confirmed what we saw to our parents, separately, without talking to eachother, and both drew the same picture of the object, as well as the exact location's features)

In the woods, there was an object - a UFO - hovering at the very top of the woods. I'd venture to say maybe 60-70ft up. It was a round dinnerplate-like object that looked to be about 150-200ft wide (a significant portion of the width of the woods, it seemed) and 20-30ft tall - like if you took 2 dinnerplates, and put them together, facing eachother.

We both stood there, trying to figure out what we were looking at. The noises continued for probably 2-3 more minutes with the same noise output and frequency - absolutely perfect, and nothing like I've heard before. Not so much in the way of the noise being generated, but the perfect frequency and audio output.

After 2-3 minutes, my twin brother and I looked at eachother at the same time - knowing what we were witnessing. When we looked away, the 'revving' noise reached its peak, and stayed there for 2-3 seconds longer than normal. It stopped, and we immediately looked back at the woods, only to see nothing there. The object was totally gone.

As you can see in the Mapquest picture, there is nothing surrounding the woods. Its pure farmland. Any movement horizontally of the craft would have been seen by my brother or myself. Since there were clear skies, we saw no trace of any object ascending.

Now, you may ask yourself 'why was it there?' - I can only think of one answer for anyone here:

If you zoom into the picture, about twice, you will notice that there are major powerlines about 150ft east from the woods the craft was located hovering above. It is both my brother and my belief that it was interacting with these massive powerlines. From my understanding, these are the highest-rated lines in Ohio, at 765kV as referenced here....That is a fact I just found out. No wonder I always felt like I was getting electrocuted when I rode my bike underneath them.

I am sure that VGCers can question my experience. I find no fault with that, but I know what I saw. It was not one of those 'moving shiny things in the skies' but an object visible under a mile away from me, in a very defined area. Classification wise, it was a close encounter of the second kind, AFAIK. Looking back, I wish I would of had a camera/camcorder, but I didn't think of it at the time.

As for the second part of my statement:

When the object was where it was at, I felt a very....strange presence...During the time the craft was where it was at. I have felt that feeling at other times in my life. In fact, the next time I remember feeling a strange 'presence' was during an encounter with demonic posession of a house (I posted about that in the angels/demons thread earlier, you can look it up). I may get thrown under the bus for linking the two, but it is my personal opinion that they are both linked - alien phenomenon and supernatural occurances. On the empirical side of things, my belief is that if aliens were a simple, naturally occuring evolution of beings on other planets, then we would have picked up traces and seen them by now.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

@mrstickball

Here is the thing I find... odd...

Let me start out by telling a story. There is a motivational speaker named Zig Ziggler. He is a born again Christian who goes around and talks for money. The way he became born again, is he was on the phone with a friend, and God started talking on the line. He told him of his calling, and what he must do..

The thing I find funny about that story, is if someone broke in on a line and told me they were God, about 30 more viable explanations would enter my head long before I got to "it's really God".

Even if what you think you saw was in fact, what you saw, I would be far more inclined to think it's something humans made but hidden from the masses, then a small ship traveling though billions of milles of space, just to visit ohio and never to return or be discovered again.

Thanks to TV, Movies, and 11 year old imaginations, the space thing is always the first thing people jump to.

I can not tell you what it was, but my question, is in absence of any idea how to explain it, why jump right off the bat to aliens? You live 10 miles from a military instillation. I would put far more faith in that then I would outer space. But that's just me :)

^I've always believed that aliens and demonics were linked too. I have had plenty of experience with demonic houses and whatnot as well. I also think the movie "The Fourth Kind" pretty much screams a connection between the two as the "aliens" in that movie seem to possess people and claim to be god and whatnot.

Aliens can still exist that are not demonic. After all, in the Bible it says God created the heavens and the Earth. The Bible doesn't say anything about whether or not any other planets were created to support life during that process or not.

With certainty, when you look at the size of the universe versus our solar system you realize that statistically there are bound to be many other worlds supporting life. Life that can never be proved or disproved, but it is certain.

TheRealMafoo said:

@mrstickball

Here is the thing I find... odd...

Let me start out by telling a story. There is a motivational speaker named Zig Ziggler. He is a born again Christian who goes around and talks for money. The way he became born again, is he was on the phone with a friend, and God started talking on the line. He told him of his calling, and what he must do..

The thing I find funny about that story, is if someone broke in on a line and told me they were God, about 30 more viable explanations would enter my head long before I got to "it's really God".

Even if what you think you saw was in fact, what you saw, I would be far more inclined to think it's something humans made but hidden from the masses, then a small ship traveling though billions of milles of space, just to visit ohio and never to return or be discovered again.

Thanks to TV, Movies, and 11 year old imaginations, the space thing is always the first thing people jump to.

I can not tell you what it was, but my question, is in absence of any idea how to explain it, why jump right off the bat to aliens? You live 10 miles from a military instillation. I would put far more faith in that then I would outer space. But that's just me :)

Its entirely possible it was a craft from Wright-Patt or Rickenbacker. However, I have yet to see any military design that is remotely close to what I saw. If I do see any military craft close to what I saw, you'll be the first to know

And I agree with the argument of why come to Ohio just to hover around for a few minutes, and nothing more. That is why I argued the supernatural connection. But as you said, military craft could be the answer if we had anything remotely close to what I saw.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Is their alien lifeforms in this universe? More than likely but that is still making a false assumption. All I can say is it would be quite arrogant to think our civilization on Earth is the only one that had a chance at having life. Especially, considering my Astronomy professor says that based on research, more than likely every star has planets going around them, there is always a chance for another "earth" like case. Of course we also shouldn't think that every creature out there has to be carbon-based and needs water to live... could be rather different.

Anyways, have we ever seen aliens? Potentially, but probably not in the forms people say they have. The mind sees what it wants to see. If you want to hear god talking to you then you will hear god talking to you. If you want to see Jesus in a waffle, then shit you will probably see it. If you want to see ghosts and think a haunted place is haunted then chances are you will have that experience. Same thing with aliens. Whether it is a distortion of something peculiar or simply the brain hallucinating to satisfy itself, you will probably end up having that experience. I also don't take into account those who say they were "skeptics" or non-thinkers of the situation beforehand because I doubt that is actually the case.

And I'm not trying to suggest those people are just simply insane, but it's something the human brain does on a daily basis. We do it without thought, and we just have problems understanding it because of our obsession of separating ourselves into a physical and metaphysical being. Guess we need to give more credit to our capable brains.

But my reasoning for the potential alien interactions would be based on how long they have been around. If it is a civilization that had been around for hundreds of thousands of years or maybe millions, then more than likely given human progress they would probably be spacefaring creatures (as given a volatile universe... or at least volatile at some points in history, there is a necessity to be spacefaring). So there is always that slim chance of being close enough to our solar system to interact with early man or even man nowadays.

Then my other reason is always the notion of early religions with gods seemingly being alien-like in the way they are described. Even as far up to a lot of the modern religions which always seem to point up to the heavens. Also the Egyptian pyramids are another mystery which would looks seemingly impossible for such an early culture and virtually impossible in the 22 years we are supposed to believe it was crafted in.

But those are just little bits and some with my own personal opinions on them which really have no merit to suggest anything but that's what I think.